Hunters

Hunters

A Chapter by Scarlett Moon

My eyes opened to an unfamiliar scene. Everything was dark, cast in the shadows by an eclipsed sun. It appeared to be a city, but all the buildings were in ruins. Bodies lay strewn in the streets, grotesquely mutilated. Flesh torn from bone, limbs ripped savagely from their owners. Looks of terror frozen on every man, woman, and child’s face. Severed heads stood on pikes along the road. I looked closer at the faces on the pikes. My stomach churned as I recognized them. Tiffany, Tine, Mell, and even Thackery. Their eyes cold and lifeless, staring blankly into space, seeing noting. I gasp as I saw a face that made me fall to my knees. Ambers face stood in the center, eyes as blank as the rest of them.

A noise from behind me caused me to spin around. A large pole stood across from the pikes. The same whimpering noise emitted from a man tied to it. He was leaned over, dark hair covered his face. His body was shaking. I couldn’t move my feet. As I watched, the man looked up. Tears streamed down his face. My body went cold. I stared into his face. My face stared back at me.

A horrified bellow ripped through the air. My mind was in pure chaos. I was in the city ruins. No, I was in a forest. Pikes? No, there were no pikes. A dream? More like a nightmare. Everyone was up, but Tiffany was the only one looking for an intruder. Tine, Mell, and Thackery were all looking at me; Tine and Thackery with looks of understanding, Mell with a look of worry.

“It’s ok Jacob. You’re safe here,” Mell said softly. I could feel a calm spreading over me as she spoke.

“What are you yelling about?” Tiffany questioned in an annoyed tone.

“Let it go Tiffany. He has his reasons,” Tine replied, hopping out of the tree. Her and Thackery looked at each other and nodded. Mell elbowed him in the stomach and looked at him with a confused and inpatient expression. He looked into her eyes, understanding crossing her face.

Stupid telepaths. Tine and Thackery both started laughing. Oops.

“Ok, I think its time we head out,” Thackery stated.

Are you ok? Thackery’s voice echoed in my head.

Yeah, I’m fine. I thought back. Do you have any idea why I had that dream?

Actually, I don’t. I guess it was just the stress of finding out about the prophesy, and thinking you will fail.

I shivered at the memory of the look on the man’s face, my face.

*******

We traveled in total darkness, though each of us could see perfectly. Thackery led the way, carrying Mell in a piggyback ride.

“You know you don’t have to carry me,” she informed him.

“I know, but you like it,” he replied.

She smiled and kissed his cheek. “How can I not like being with you?”

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. Tine came up beside me.

“It could be worse,” she said, amusement in her voice.

“Do I want to know how?” I ask.

She laughed. “No.”

Thackery started slowing down. We came to a stop in a small clearing. Thackery set Mell down and they both turned to me, an excited smile on their faces.

“Yaaayyy!” Tine shouted excitedly, the same smile lighting her face.

“What’s going on?” I ask, nervous from the expressions.

“Hunting time!” Tine sang.

“Good, I’m parched,” Tiffany said. She didn’t have the same excitement as the others though. I suddenly realized that I had no idea how to hunt.

“Don’t worry, that’s why I’m going to show you. We are going into town soon and I want to be sure we won’t have any accidents,” Thackery answered my thoughts. “Mell, Tine, and Tiffany will take a different path.”

Tine skipped towards the trees on the opposite side of the clearing. She stopped and turned impatiently towards Mell. “You have all the time in the world to kiss him, lets goooo,” she complained. Then she turned and darted into the trees. Tiffany followed after her. Mell was the last to leave. With one last kiss to Thackery, she followed the other two into the forest.

He smiled a comforting smile, one that made me worry about what was in store for me next. “Follow me,” he said as he headed in the opposite direction of the girls.

We didn’t go far before he stopped.

Wait. Don’t make a sound. Close your eyes and listen. What do you hear? Thackery’s voice whispered in my head.

I obeyed, closing my eyes and listening hard. I could hear everything. The bugs crawling in the trees, the owl overhead looking for food, all of it was crystal clear.

Listen carefully.

I focused harder. That’s when I heard it. Faint heartbeats, about a hundred yards ahead of us.

Very good. How many?

I listened closely. 4? No, wait, 5.

Yes. Now take a deep breath.

I inhaled, the wind brought the scent of the deer closer. We were downwind of them, they wouldn’t smell us till we were on them.

You’re getting it.

Now what? I thought.

What do you think you should do?

I relaxed my muscles. My eyes flashed open, and before I could think, my body was on the move. Pure instinct compelled me to move. I jumped into the trees to get better leverage as I approached the deer. The limbs barely moved as I jumped from tree to tree. I was aware of Thackery following me, but I wasn’t concerned with him. My throat burned with anticipation. In one fluid motion, I lunged off the tree, my extended fangs sinking into the jugular of the biggest buck there. Thackery was right on my heels, snagging the next biggest.

After I had drained the buck, I let his body fall to the ground. I looked at Thackery and saw two bodies at his feet. He smiled.

“Good job,” he congratulated.

“Thanks, but I’m still thirsty,” I replied.

“Don’t worry, there’s more around here,” he said smiling.

*******

We met back up with the girls in the clearing. I was full after feeding on 8 big bucks. Thackery had finished 10. We entered the clearing last. Thackery moved strait to Mell side. They all were moving with excitement, bragging about their kills. Thackery told them how I had got the biggest of the night. An 18 point buck.

“Nice,” Mell complemented. Tine stuck her tongue out at me.

“Very good,” Tiffany commented.

“Ok, we’ve had our fun. Now its time to get serious. Let’s move,” Thackery said, lifting Mell onto his back again. We headed off into the trees again.



© 2011 Scarlett Moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on January 13, 2011
Last Updated on January 13, 2011


Author

Scarlett Moon
Scarlett Moon

Carbon Hill, AL



About
I live in a small town in Alabama. Graduated in 2012. Poetry is my favorite form of writing, but I have the imagination of a little kid so fictional stories come natural to me. I always enjoy feedback.. more..

Writing