Stubborn Anger

Stubborn Anger

A Chapter by Tracy Lynn
"

Will her and her father ever see eye-to-eye?

"

 

She had always wanted to be different, but she was confined to the traditions of her ancestors. She often dreamed of life outside the palace, life outside of being a princess, life away from royalty. Each day as she rode through the carriage with her father, she watched the commoners with curiosity as they bowed and curtsied to their Emperor. Her father often smiled at her and said, “Someday they will be doing that for you when you are Empress, my dearest daughter.” But she didn’t want that. What she really wanted to know was what really went through their minds as they bowed to her father. What did they do on a regular day? It was something she often wondered about as she lay in her bedroom quarters at night, and she often dreamed about walking out on the streets as a normal everyday person. But she could never get away from the palace to see for herself in real life; her father always made sure that she had the proper protection. He feared for her life, as she was the only one who could take over the kingdom after his reign was done. Her brother had died in childhood, and her mother was no longer capable of having children since her brother was born.
           
“Serenity, what are you doing? Get in here before you catch your death,” her father’s voice said sternly behind her. She had been staring out at the streets of Azin from the palace gates, wondering once again what life was like on the other side.
           
“But Daddy—,” she protested, but she knew it was no use. He would never allow her outside on her own without protection. He hardly ever allowed her to play outside within the palace gates.
           
“No buts, get your butt in here now,” he said firmly, walking away to let her know that the conversation was final. Serenity sighed and followed him in, her head down in disappointment at another battle lost.
           
“Do I really have to take this from him? He doesn’t even care about me; he just protects me because I’m the only one in line to take over the throne. I’m sure if he could, he would gladly have another son to take my place. Why do I even stay here and listen to him all the time? He never listens to me. Why should I listen to him?” Serenity thought to herself as she followed the tall figure of her father down the palace halls. She knew that he expected her to follow him to his quarters. They always had the same old talk when he caught her staring out into the realm.
           
He opened his door and walked in, leaving it open for her to follow. She slowly walked in, picking up her head when he turned to face her. He said nothing for several minutes, as if he was waiting for her to say something, but she knew better. She had to be careful with anything she said so as not to give away too much. It was always better to let him speak first during these talks.
           
“So are you going to explain to me why you often stare out into the realm like it’s the greatest thing ever, or keep me in the dark like usual?” He asked, giving her a glare. He was on to her, but she wouldn’t give in. He already knew that she didn’t want to be Empress.
           
“You know why,” she said simply, giving him the same glare back. They had got into many a fight during these talks. Serenity had inherited her father’s stubbornness, so neither of them would ever back down from a fight. There were many times when Emperor Basden VonSild had to turn around and take a deep breath because he was close to striking his young daughter. He had been good with controlling his temper so far, but something had to be done soon before the day came when he could no longer control his anger. And he knew it would be sooner rather than later if he didn’t figure something out soon.
           
“Serenity,” he said with a sigh, “Why is it that you don’t desire to be an Empress?” She blinked, unbelieving at what she was hearing. His voice was so calm, sounding almost as if he actually cared, but he wasn’t yelling. She wondered what had brought about the change. Best play it safe for now…just in case.
           
“I don’t want the power,” she told him. It was partially the truth, but not nearly everything. The truth was, she was scared. There had never been an Empress in complete charge of the realm before. She was sure that if and when she took the throne, there would be a huge rebellion that she would have no control over. She wasn’t cut out to be in power, but she couldn’t let her father no that. She was the princess.
           
“Is that it?” Basden asked, raising an eyebrow. “You just don’t want the power? Well, I’m sorry Serenity, but you’ll have to learn to deal with it. I hated the idea of being in charge when I first became Emperor, but I got used to it. You will, too.”
           
“But—,” Serenity started to say, but was cut off.
           
“No buts, it’s the truth. I’m sorry dear Serenity, but it can’t be helped. Go off to your room now, this discussion is over,” he said calmly, looking at her sympathetically.
            Serenity opened her mouth to say something, but then thought better of it as she walked out of his quarters and to her own. He didn’t listen to anything she had said, but then again, he never did. She was used to it by now.
           
Before she had even reached her quarters she heard someone calling her name. It was a woman’s voice; a voice that she could find comfort in. It wasn’t her mother, for she had died the previous year from the grave disease that had taken the life of her brother several years before. But it was a woman who had been like a mother to her; her caregiver, Madam Brandy Tarras.
           
“Princess,” she called again, and this time Serenity turned to face her. Her face was sad, and it almost made Madam Brandy cry right there. “Princess, your father wishes to see you in his quarters again.”
           
“I was just there Madam, what does he want me for?” Serenity asked, almost afraid to hear the answer.
           
“I don’t know Dear, but he told me to relay the message to you. He just to meet him in his quarters ASAP,” Madam Tarras told her.
           
“Yes ma’am,” Serenity said, turning back towards the direction of her father’s quarters. “Thank you.” She walked back down the hall slowly, dreading what he had to talk to her about. It was never good anymore. Both of them were too stubborn to see the other’s point of view that all they did was argue. Ever since her mother’s death…
 


© 2008 Tracy Lynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this story. It is simple and yet it had a deep meaning in it. I liked the story you have started. I do agree with Miss Elphaba, it should be rode in instead of rode through. This is a good start. I can't wait to read more!

Posted 16 Years Ago


My only complaint is this line: "Each day as she rode through the carriage with her father" Shouldn't it be "in" rather than "through"? I'd like to see someone ride through a carriage XD

j/p tornado =]

Nice work, I like where the plot's going on this.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 30, 2008


Author

Tracy Lynn
Tracy Lynn

Painted Post, NY



About
I started writing when I was around thirteen, but I didn't get into poetry until a couple years later when I was fourteen or fifteen. Since then I have written numerous poems, several songs, a few sh.. more..

Writing
Neo-Nazi Jarheads Neo-Nazi Jarheads

A Stage Play by Tracy Lynn