Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
retail sucks

retail sucks

A Story by DRIVEN
"

be kind to people who are waiting on you,they will talk about you later

"

I've worked in retail for many years now and for those of you who may have had to do the same at some point in your life, you come to realize what "serving" other people feels like.  I guess it's not the service part that bother be as much as much as the way people treat you that you are trying to help.  They look past you.  You are an extension or representative of the store they are in, and really, not another human being.

 

It could be funny if you took some time to kind of play with the role.  I heard one commedian talk about helping customers, one a very mean and very large woman who was angry because she had to stand in line for a while.  He looked at her and said, " sorry about your wait".  One man with a haipiece, you know, one of those obvious ones, one that you want to laugh at, but of course cant', he asked him how he as going "to pay".  I think about these things when people are being unreasonable and I help them with a smile on my face.

 

One of the greatest problems I have though is when I go into other stores. I can't help myself from wanting to pick up things and put them back on the shelf, or the rack, or wherever, but back where they belong.  I am so programmed to keep things orderly, I hang clothes back on hangers that i didn't touch and straighten aisles when I see things out of sinc.  It's really becoming a problem and keeping me from focusing on what I came in for.

 

I also have to stop myself from smiling and being nice.  I mean, being nice is the correct way to be I guess, but I have to stop sometimes and realize that I DON'T HAVE TO BE NICE to people who are in my way, people who are about to run you over with a shopping cart.  YES I don;t have to take it when people are being rude and I DON"T WORK THERE!!!!!! I am working hard on this one.

 

Some day I will get away from this stiutation and know what it is like for the rest of the world, you non-retail people.  The people who have off on the weekends like everyone else and not during the week when everyone is gone to work.  This makes it difficult to have a social life but then again there are the great rewards I get from working in retail...uhm...the money sucks, the people are rude, I work too long and too hard....guess I have to think about that!!!

 

© 2008 DRIVEN


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

lmao at the description line!! And...it's the 10% discounts you love it for! There...hope that helps!!
I'm sorry but I was laughing picturing you straightening up a store you don't work in...but then I realized I don't even work in retail and I usually put clothes back on hangers that someone else threw on the floor, too! So...I'll laugh at both of us!! I guess it's just the way I was raised. Even in the office, I push in drawers, throw out garbage, distribute fax receipts...none in my job description...but I'm accustomed to keeping things neat and tidy myself! I love the comics responses and glad you have those thoughts to think as another idiot bugs you and treat you like a non-human. I have worked as a bartender and food server, so I know that all servers are human too!!! And I tip good! : )
I hope this wakes up some rude people.... people are people too!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I work in hospitality so I totally understand! I think being in the service industry is good for building character, and it makes you a voyeur of other people's habits. I worked out my business like tone of voice many years ago. A kind of nice guy-who-you-don't-want-to-cross type of voice. It is hard and it takes over your life. Why do we do it?

A desk job would drive me mad, I need a project, an objective, a challenge. I use my skills but neglect my talents. Writing is my antidote to that, it gives me focus and reminds me what my brain really is for.

Anyway cocker, good luck.

Posted 15 Years Ago


lol. I haven't worked retail, but I have answered the phone at the pizza place I work at. After four + hours of saying pizzeria when answering a phone you have to tell yourself not to say pizzeria when your phone rings. The second paragraph does need work though. It really isn't clear to me why you thought of someone in a hairpiece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was funny...I start a new job tomorrow and it's in retail...What perfect timing for me to read this...Yes, I'm going to have to start working on my people skills and having to be friendly all the time to the public whether they are too or not...I can definitely see myself getting into the bad habit of straightening up clothes and fixing things in a store I do not work in...It must get drilled into your head along with the non-stop friendliness you're told to convey...Oh well...I need money haha...Anyway, very good writing...very honest and blunt which is always the best way to attract peoples' interest...

Posted 15 Years Ago


I have never worked in retail, but I worked as a teacher, where I was forced to be nice to people who said bad words, cheated in their tests, and also to some nice people. I had serious problems in being friendly to people who stole books and cheated in their tests of course, yet I was told by my principal that I was supposed to be nice to everyone, yet disciplined those that did not follow the rules; which several times, I did and then was labeled as rude and too strong of a disciplinarian for only yelling and screaming to these people. What exactly are you supposed to do?, I was never given that magic formula by anyone. After 6 years of service, I resigned for a better job, and feel a lot happier.
I am now taking more classes to better my computer skills, courses are offered through mindleaders.com, and hp.com, hp courses are free.
good luck
chord0

Posted 15 Years Ago


I worked retail for a few years when in college...people suck...but every once in a while something funny would happen to lighten the mood and at least you can make fun of the people when they leave the store!

Posted 15 Years Ago


before getting into corrections i work in a retail enviro for 11 years...and your little piece here is damn true....cept....i actually enjoyed shopping the compitition and messing with them.........lol

Posted 15 Years Ago


I agree and tis true all you said. My thought was to your handle "Drivin" as I read 'Retail Sucks', you are.
Good job I feel that was accomplished with your thoughts. To truely write of life and make it fell real to the person reading, it has been said, that the writer must have lived what is writen, in this story you did.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 16, 2008
Last Updated on July 18, 2008

Author

DRIVEN
DRIVEN

philadelphia, PA



About
Not much to say. I have been a writer or attempted to be for many years now...I like to write about the crazy thoughts I have or things that happen to me. Mostly I write from other's perspectives, m.. more..

Writing
[untitled] [untitled]

A Poem by DRIVEN



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..