Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by gonelikeafreightrain
"

Nizonyee is met by her Father and his men on a hunting trip!

"

Nizonyee, a pale faced-black hair child with Cherokee [tribe] in her blood. American born none the less from the outskirts of the state of Arizona. A reservation was not named in this desolate land. However, for those who were unfortunate enough to live and breed in an endless city of sand and sun, lay the Soquili tribe. These people of the “Phoenix” State had one unique feature that set them apart from the rest of the Native Americans of the World: Not a single child was born on the back of the horse, for these animals were sacred and not to do the bidding of any one man.

    Nizonyee, mischievous and curious, and not born with full bred Cherokee, was a child born from a Navajo Woman who had an affair with the Cherokees leaders son, and gave birth to a child of mixed customs. This child was born in the Navajo [tribe] of East Missouri. When the Navajo tribe found of the forbidden love, and the product that was born from a “hazard,” the woman was sentenced to serve the God Dzaanééz (Translation: Mule). She was sacrificed, and that night the Navajo [tribe] drank the blood of who they considered to be a trader. The child, however, was to be banned from the Navajo land. A Mule was brought forth, and asked to take the child away. As the child was placed on the back of the animal, the child did not let a tear fall, Nizonyee-so beautiful, left with a smile gazing from her face.

    For forty days and forty nights, this Mule crossed many lands, bared the burden of the sun and rain, and met many obstacles. Growing weaker, and the insufficiency of water and food made this old Mule pray for her own life, could no longer go any further. This old girl collapsed as the child was met by the ground with a hard shake, Nizonyee let out small cries as she looked the mule in her face, and as this old girl drew her last few breaths, she let her soothing warm coat lay against this child's baby skin, and closed her eyes.

    Nizonyee was growing cold, and even hungrier as time passed. It had been three days since the old mule had passed away. Not a sign of life showed themselves to Nizonyee except for one man, with a black coat and a pale face, a weapon in hand and no words to speak. He seemed to enjoy watching Nizonyee, never moving, lifeless eyes, and the smell of fear drew from his every breath.

    Two more days have passed, and Nizonyee is saying her goodbye’s. Only an infant child, she can’t speak-but the tears of anger and fear spoke louder than any man could ever vocalize. Nizonyee closes her hazel eyes, and waits for death to warm over her body. However, just as hope seems to have abandoned her, a handful of men with strange clothing made from an unusual material. A man, with long black hair, a golden face and beautiful hazel eyes leaned down and inspected the child. The man picked the child up, and with only a simple glance spoke softly, “Hello, my daughter.”

    The other men stood behind him, astonished, and asked with a low toned-respectful attitude “Sir, are you sure its….her?” The men sounded skittish, but why wouldn't they? A Leader’s son or daughter deserves the utmost respect. The mans smiled stopped as he looked at his men, then back at the child. “My name is Yanisa, Cherokee for buffalo. Your name is Nizonyee, Navajo for Very Beautiful.”

    The men, with anger in their voices rose up and spoke to their leaders son, “Yanisa! You can not give this child an enemy tribes name! It goes against all that we believe in!” The man turned around and rose his hand in disbelief, and with a tone that lingered in the air, “Wesa, you were given that name that means Cat for your cunning and unique mind, so be open, as we have taught you to do so.” Wesa backed down at the guidance of the leaders son, and the Father of Nizonyee.

    Galagina, the brother to Yanisa, leaned down at the mortified animal, and asked peacefully, “brother, what shall we do with the mule?” Yanisa looked down and replied back to him in a absence of tone, “She is still one of us, she is still a sacred soquili, even though she is poisoned by the blood of a digalinv'hidv. Just as Nizonyee was born of two tribes, this mule is still part of us and we should respect her life and her death.”

    Wesa bowed his head as Yanisa’s brother bowed down onto his knees. Yanisa stood above the men as all three of them began to chant:

    Daughter of Soquili, raise your spirits high and vast in the glory you have given us! You have brought my daughter back to me and my tribe. You are our sister! May heaven be kind and allow your body to be drained from the corruption of the digalinv'hidv. May your blood be cleansed and allow us to use your skin for clothing!


    Yanisa asked his two men to skin the mule as he took his daughter into his hands and lay her head on his chest. He stroked her black hair and wondered to himself, “Only two months old, and yet you have the hair of a woman and the skin of a newborn.” As the men skinned the animal, the blood was drained, the carcass was butchered, the twins, Agisi (Translation: Mare), took the skin and cleansed it by a nearby river. They smiled at the quality of such skin. Agisi cantered back to Yanisa, and gave him the freshly cleaned skin. He wrapped his child around the white cloak as he kisses Nizonyee’s head.

    The twins gamble as they say “such beauty is found in this white mule, such a shame she had to pass.” The twins giggle as the men stand up. The carcass in proper bags and bones cracking as they walk, they wait orders from their leaders son (for he is the future leader of the Soquili tribe.)

    “It’s time for us to move, as time waits for no man and life must move on for survival. We must get back to the tribe, their hungry stomachs are in our bags, and selfishness doesn't lead to survival, only destruction. So we must return, for we have one more mouth to feed and one more body to bathe. She’s endured much suffering, now is the time we return and warm her chilled body.” Yanisa spoke calmly, almost reflecting someone who has become apathetic. The twins took turns carrying Nizonyee in her fresh made White Mule skin on their backs, as they made the journey home.



© 2014 gonelikeafreightrain


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very good, at least I enjoyed it, even though I'm Australian and don't understand much of Native American culture...

Posted 9 Years Ago


gonelikeafreightrain

9 Years Ago

That is my goal, to allow the reader to enjoy the story and if they don't understand the culture the.. read more
Crimson_Woad

9 Years Ago

oh most definitely
gonelikeafreightrain

9 Years Ago

Chapter 2 is up! I hope you enjoy and looking forward to your comment!
A very good written story. You create scenery, good characters and reason. I like the feel of the old ways. The story kept my attention to the very good ending. Thank you for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You gave respect to the Native American way. I enjoyed the tale.
gonelikeafreightrain

9 Years Ago

Thank you. My husband is Cherokee and my best friend is Navajo
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I'm 1/2 Ojibwa. I have a series of poetry here called the Water, sky and the earth. I try to write p.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 6, 2014
Last Updated on October 8, 2014