Why Identity Politics is a laughable and pretty offensive term

Why Identity Politics is a laughable and pretty offensive term

A Chapter by DanCuster

            Identity Politics is defined as a“wide range of political activity and theorizing founded in the shared experiences of injustice of members of certain social groups.” This term has been frequently used to describe the voting patterns of minorities in American politics, particularly by members of the right. This word seems innocent on the surface and it makes sense in a somewhat broad and dim view, people expect minority groups to vote the same due to some form of “natural” group cohesion.

            First off, I find it interesting that the term “identity politics” is only used to describe minority voting patterns. Here is the inherent issue, why is it assumed that white Americans will vote as individuals while minorities will vote off of “group cohesion”? This mentality only speaks to the reality that white is seen as normative in American politics while minorities are seen as the other. Issues in the USA are seen from a white-normative view, a great example is how American coverage of same-sex marriage erases black, Hispanic and Asian peoples of different sexual orientations. Those “against identity politics” say that the fact that whites vote “differently” from one another supports this theory of a minority “groupthink” but what they fail to see is that politics are shown from a white perspective. Whites will be shown to vote “differently” because white votes are still seen by both parties and the media as the “most important” votes and as individuals. It’s a circular system, as long as whites are deemed “important” in the voting world; they’ll get the most coverage, leaving the media to make broad assumptions about minority voting patterns. (Also, the idea that whites vote differently and as a result minorities do not only plays into the whiteness concept I just mentioned.)

            Secondly, it quells introspection into why minorities vote the way they do. Minorities don’t vote because the way they due to out of sort of “identity” that guides them to make their political decisions, they vote the way they do because a party has proposed ideas and policy that best helps their individual situation. Many black Americans are poor and use government assistance; there is no logical reason for them to vote for a member of the Tea Party based on the Tea Party’s public policy. The minimizing of the reasons why minorities vote only helps marginalize them, it becomes easy to say “The blacks” vote this way because “The Blacks always vote together” when that isn’t the case. If anything, this erasure of individuality would actually be a great reason for racial minorities to vote the same, it’s the logical conclusion to this issue; if I’m not going to be seen as an American black male, then why not join the rest of “The blacks” in voting Democrat? Maybe then people will notice and listen to me.

            Finally, it destroys all need for self-reflection by American political parties. The GOP doesn’t get black votes not because of Democrats having Obama or due to some black group cohesion; it doesn’t get black votes because the GOP doesn’t have any policies that help most black people individually. The personal is political as they say. However, as long as the GOP can say “identity politics is the reason we lost” it will only hinder their ability to see how their policy simply doesn’t appeal to minorities.

            Personally, I believe this is a term of fear. As minority voting becomes more prominent and minorities begin to have more political power, claims of “identity politics” will become more common as these are reactions by American society which sees the white voter as the normal, an individual voter, not some collectivist drone, a mental label given to minorities who exercise their right to vote. Minorities vote based on what they feel helps their best situation, like all voters. Like all Americans, they identify with their own personal issues before anything else, please stop implying that they don’t, it’s dehumanizing and only serves as a way of making minorities look “Less American”. Thank you.



© 2014 DanCuster


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
KC
I would Agree with you that the term is laughable. You have a very strong voice. I think you paint a very vivid picture of the term "Identity Politics". The ideas presented are basically the same though. Basically your calling the GOP and tea party racists. Right? There is nothing new it is just the same tired argument. I find it interesting that the GOP is called the racist when they have been the defender of the minority. When it comes the elections the democrat touts what they have done when really they are riding the coat tails of the GOP.
Your writing style is good I like that you set it up as if your giving a speech. I would like to know where your information comes from. Is it your own? I agree that each of us want to be treated equally and believe that all of us should stand up and fight for the equal rights of all men. Good job

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 24, 2014
Last Updated on June 24, 2014


Author

DanCuster
DanCuster

ID



About
A writer at humble beginnings. Writing scrub, engineer, father of two, skydiving enthusiast and bodybuilder. All criticism is awesome. Will read anything. more..

Writing