The Awkward Years

The Awkward Years

A Chapter by Dane Hurst
"

Teenage youth year

"
A bright Monday morning and the sunlight pierces through the dark curtains of Harry's room, his digital alarm clock strikes 7:30 and buzzes to wake an iarotble teenaged boy, he slams his fist into the clock roll over and goes back to sleep, "Harry breakfast in 5 minutes" upon hearing this Harry responses in his usual morning groanings.
"F**K 5 minutes mum, god what do I have to do to sleep in this pitiful existence of a life of mine", he continues to try and sleep but his father walks through his door "come on Harry, teeth, food and school" annoyed Harry rolls out of beg, picks up his clothes and walks past his dad to the bathroom where he slams the door shut.
Stomping down the stair is a 14 year old with thick black frame glasses and a few spots as well as long black hair reaching his chin with a red streak down the right side, "Is wetabix good for you" the seemly tired teen mutters out.
"Whatever, I got to go I'm meet Dia at the bus stop in 5 mins" while speaking Harry grabs a few slices of toast and rushes out the door before the parent could usher out their goodbyes. Harry walks to the bus stop every school day to meet Diana, his usual routine involves turning his MP3 player of suffle and listening to punk rock music as well as secretively having a cigarette, he arrives at the bus stop to meet Diana, a average build blond girl with a pink streak through her hair and a nose stud, she also has pretty blue eyes, she turns to see Harry and greets him.
"Well look who's turned up smelling like methoal and burnt toast, you alright Hars" tired and grumpy Harry replies "I was up till 4am Dia, give me a break for s**t sake" feeling challenged Diana answers back "well that would explain the methoal, what did you do suck a c**k before doing a two girls one cup scene with you dogs biscuits", Diana has a dirty way with words which usually throws Harry into a verbal battle but not this morning "Where the f**k do your material from, seriously with that s**t you need help, if you must no I was working on my art project last night got to get that stuff perfect", he's been drawing a comic book strip on a 4 and a half foot canvas of a couple falling in love "oh yes, got a name for that yet no wait I got one young love gets it in the butt hole of glory and dispair" both share a giggle befor the school bus arrives.
As the two best friends get on the bus the meet with their group of friends, there are 4 of them, 2 guys Roman is a geeky looking boy with braces and long well looked after brown hair and is always dressed smart and has a very good IQ, and there is Quentin a fellow punk rocker with a dark blue Mohawk where a leather jacket with studs and spikes, he's usual unclean rude but can hold an intelligent debate on society imperfections "Hey Harry, Diana did you see the new electronic car Mr. Jackson got runs on double A's what a dumb f*****g idea" as Quentin begins I to debate Sophie a red head firey girls inturpes him "Quen if you start tear socity down wait till we give a f**k" every shares a giggle, there is also Abby Roman's girlfriend and Harry's sister "Did mum and dad ask about me this morning Harry" an annoyed Harry answers "Don't think they really gig a f**k sis, they know you were with Roman his folks called so I think your in for a birds and bees talk" in a sigh of relief Abby replies "could be worse, they might have a priest over" everyone shares a laugh before the bus pulls away.

As the school bell rings the group of friends walking into their first class "why do they call it English, it's ready books and writes essays on them, should just be called literacy" as Quentin starts another debate about the name of their first subject the group all respond "Shut up", as the group find their seats the teacher asks for their attenction.
"Good morning class, I hope your weekends were good and you had a chance heaven forbid to glance at or hopefully read Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet because each of you are going to speak on a chapter", the class all moan about their task and gives Quentin the perfect opportunity to argue "Mr. Fletcher I don't really think that....' Before he could finish his sentence Fletcher interrupts him "now Quentin when you teach the class hopefully never you can tell your students what to do but it's Monday your first hour of the day is mine and I just don't give two s***s ok, but since you want to talk so much your up" the class all indulge in mocking Quentin as he makes his way to the front of the class with a cheeky smirk on his face "Ok to summarise it it's a story about paedophilia, Romeo has got to be at least 20 and Juliet is only 14 and we are just suppose to look past this....' As Quentin engages with his morals at a chance to win hearts and minds Harry stares at Diana in the seat in front of him while she is being hugged by her boyfriend lance.
"You know one day she's gonna notice you staring at the back of her head then she'll be real creeped out" Roman whispers into Harry's ear in response Harry slowly turns his head mouths "F**k you" gives him the finger followed by a big stretched smile before returning to his thoughts. "So yeah there you have it a big steaming pile of..." Before Quentin finishes his synopsis Mr. Fletcher intervenes "And times up, thank you Quen for that eye open description but back in the 1600s there were no guns to shot themselfs with so anyone who's read the book come on up and bored the rest of us into unholy existence" the classroom laughs and Diana raises her hand "Mind if I try a real presentation sir" scoffing with his arms cross Mr. Fletcher with no intersect replies "f**k it why not", Diana confidently walks to the front of the class after being a*s slapped by Lance "Romeo and Juliet is you basic story of love that was forbidden by society because of the social status of theirs parents......." As Diana gives her presentation Harry pulls out his sketch book and starts to draw her "Dude that will earn you a lance sized fist in the face" Roman warns him but he carries on,"Therefore love isn't the story her but that their tragic losses brought two rival families together in sorrow and built a better future" as Diana's speech is wrapping up a very detail sketch of her is placed back into Harry's bag and the class clapped "Well thank you miss Hill you restore my faith in teaching, oh there's the bell now all of you be ready next time now f**k off", as the students prepare to leave Diana turns to Harry as says, "you didn't even give me a chance to say draw me like one of your French girls Jack, it better be good" laughing will he says "You know me, my work is always good besides French girls are hairy as King Kong" insulted Diana say "You think I'm king f*****g kong" embarrassed Harry answers "Um King Kong was a beautiful creature and French girls ain't, except Gabby" laughing Diana says "just joking and Gabby is a b***h plus out of your league, so plans after school?" Again hesitating Harry struggles to get an answer out "well um maybe, I got art stuff to do and parents to annoy maybe chat online later" in a quick response "suit yourself I guess Lance will be over, tell your mum I said hi", running off to meet Lance who's waiting at the door Roman and Abbey both sneak up behind Harry an ask "Mum and dad are outside are we going" still staring at Diana kissing Lance he replies no really paying attention "Yeah, wait what yeah let's go"

9am and Harry is listing to heavy metal whilst finishing his art project, he walks over to the walk and bangs repeatedly and shout "Abbey, Roman get your asses in here", annoyed they both enter half dressed and looking rough "We are f*****g busy Harry enthesis on the word F*****G" Harry stares at the points to his finished masterpiece and says "I need an opinion, after 37 hours what do you think" as the two look in amazement at the canvas paint Harry leans back into his window seal and lights up a cigarette "Wow that's really good, the detail is just so good and tells a love story really well" a cheeky smile from Harry as he exhales his smoke roll his head to look at Roman and says "How about you Romey, your thoughts will be nice" admiring the paint he also notices paint striper on the window seal next to Harry "Well if I had top dollar I'd pay for it but you do realise there is a highly flammable liquid next to you and you smoking a f*g" Turing to see Harry move slowly away and thanks his friends for their opinions, "just hope it's not Dia you see in that painting" rolling his eyes and his head to face his sibling he speak slowly with an angry tone "F**k you, and try to keep it down I can hear Romans heavy breathing over Ride The Lightning walking out with her middle figure to her brother Abbey shuts the door and Harry lays on his bed with the drawing he started in English, "let's finish this up, think I'll call it French King Kong Girl" Harry laughs to himself then stubs out his cigarette and finishes his drawing.



© 2014 Dane Hurst


Author's Note

Dane Hurst
First paragraph still incomplete

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on June 26, 2014
Last Updated on July 21, 2014


Author

Dane Hurst
Dane Hurst

Guildford, Surrey, United Kingdom



About
I'm a guy with an imagination that spins into stories thought I give them a try more..

Writing
The Art Show The Art Show

A Chapter by Dane Hurst