13th Birthday

13th Birthday

A Chapter by Danica
"

This is the day that Melanie gets the box that makes her appear in the future.

"

"Happy Birthday!!!" my best friend, Melinda squeals.

"Thanks," I respond, hugging her.

"I got you an awesome, totally cool, present," Melinda says.

"Cool, what is it, " I respond, happily. 

"Open it," Melinda giggles, handing over a wrapped little box like thing.

I slowly open it, taking notice of Melinda's sad face. Melinda Sermer has been my best friend since Preschool, when I first met her. We did everything together, had sleepovers, got presents, we even went to the doctors together, and family reunions. Last year, we went to another doctors appointment together. Melinda had been sick, very sick. She was being tested for Leukemia. We got the test results back a week later.She did.I was heartbroken, along with both of our family's. Everybody knew it hurt me worse though. Even her parents felt bad for me. Though we both know her parents, and siblings were tarnished for life. Four months ago, the doctor had told us she had a minimum of 4 to 5 years to live.  We haven't been quite the same since. We don't have a sleepover every weekend, and we don't miss school together. Because she's almost never at school.

I take the red, and purple wrapping paper off of the present. I look at the box oddly. It's just a box. I smile up at her kindly. 

"Thanks Melinda," I say, leaning in for a hug. 

"You don't know what it is, do you?" she questions.

I sigh," No."

"It's a wishing box. My great grandmother gave it to me when I was 4. It sat on my dresser, but you never noticed it. And since I'm not going to have kids, then why not give it to my best friend?" She asks, but says it more like a statement. 

My eyes go soft. Knowing that I get a chance to live my life to the fullest, and she doesn't, hurts me. 

"Thank you," I murmur, into her hair, while hugging her. 

"You might be crazy, 
but have I told you lately
That I Love you 
You're the only reason that I'm not afraid to fly
and it's crazy, how someone could change me
now no matter what it is I have to do, I'm not afraid to try 
and you need to know that you're the reason..why," my phone sings.

I take out my phone, and slide over the talk button.

"Hi, Daddy," I say, into the speaker. 

 "Melanie, we can't have your party today, and we probably won't be home until tomorrow, or late tonight. So, go spend the night with Melinda," dad says, in a rush.

"what, why?" I ask, about to cry.

" Naomi is being born," he says.

"I wish I were an adult. I hate you!" I sob, sliding over the end button. 

I see a flash of light, and look up. 

"Mel, you OK?" some woman asks. 

"I don't know you," I say, freaking out. 

"Mel, I've been your best friend since 9th grade, when Melinda died," the woman stutters. 

"no, no. I'm only in the 7th grade, and Melinda isn't dead. She's my best friend, nobody can replace her," I sob.

"Mel, I know it's a touchy subject, but I promise, she passed away 14 years ago," the woman says. 

"What year is it?" I ask. 

"2027," the woman says. 

"No, it's 2013. It's my 13th birthday. Naomi is being born, right now," I stutter. 

"Melanie!! Listen. It's 2027. Your 30, today. Naomi is 17 years old today," the woman, reassures me. 

"Where's a restroom?" I ask.

"Right there," the woman says, pointing at a white door. 

I walk to it, and push it open. There's a woman, and a man kissing, and I'm disgusted. And tempted to close my eyes. 

"Get out!" I yell.

"Mel, are you OK?" a girl about 17, or 18 asks. 

"No, who are you?" I cry.

"Mel. It's Naomi," she says. 

"No, your not Naomi. Get out!" I scream.

The guy, and girl scramble out. I walk to the sink, and wash off my face. I look up at the mirror, to fix my hair. But instead of seeing my normal, teenage face, with short brown hair. I see, an old woman, with long, curly, brown hair, and freckles. With a bunch of makeup on. My only thought is, magic box, and scream. So, I scream at the top of my lungs.



© 2013 Danica


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on October 7, 2013
Last Updated on October 7, 2013
Tags: Love, Heartbreak, confusion, future, letters, lies, friendship


Author

Danica
Danica

AR



About
My names Danica, your not getting my last name, I'm 12 years old, and in the seventh grade. I've been writing books since the first grade, and I've been writing poetry since about, 5th grade. I do hav.. more..

Writing
The Rally The Rally

A Chapter by Danica


The Rally The Rally

A Book by Danica


All Alone All Alone

A Poem by Danica