Something New

Something New

A Poem by Dani California

 

Painted yesterdays I keep,

hidden quite deep,

behind dubious eyes

of green.

 

Seeking truth of true love,

guided strokes from above

painted the mate of my soul

in a dream.

 

So much was expected,

misled, misdirected;

leaves tainted my portrait

on display.

 

Bad choices were made,

causing colors to fade;

paint carelessly spilled

on today.

 

My easel still smudged

with remnants of love,

on past works of art

shading you.

 

I pick up the brush,

though careful not to rush,

as I begin to paint

something new.

 

 

© 2009 Dani California


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My god! This is magnificent. Oh, the ending is wonderful, simple, and delicate. This piece is so melodious... What a beautiful style of writing.

***My favorite stanzas:

"My easel still smudged

With remnants of love

On past works of art

Shading you"
-- Every line has its purpose in this piece and this stanza is no exception. It gives the reader such a clear, yet soft perspective of the narrators object-of-desire...


"I pick up the brush

Though careful not to rush

And I begin to paint

Something new "
-- I love the idea of clearing a canvas "smudged"...and starting "anew". ..I feel completely absolved. Thank you for this beautiful poem.

Truly,
Nancy



Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i adore this, since im a painter, i fell in love with it. amazing, im awestruck... that doesn't happen often.

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is a beautiful and very emotional write, girlfriend...i understand where you are coming from. it is always hard to start 'something new' after something else has not worked out. the remnants of past love always shadow what is to come...but it can only serve as a lesson of what not to let happen the next time around.

you never know what you may find
for the sea of love is vast and wide
if you have your heart open
to the endless possibities
you may find what you seek.

Amanda xox

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You ever get one of those paint by number sets when you were a kid? I always loved those. I am sitting here trying to remember, it seems to me that the painting looks more authentic if it isn't exact. You know what I mean? If the colors sort of blend together, it looks as though you did it free hand, it looks more like real art. "Real art"... is when the colors all blend together, don't know where I was goin with that.

I just loved this. I loved the color of the words and I loved that it rhymes. I guess some people think rhymes are cheesy or meant for children but not me. The rhythm gives the words a rocking motion quality, very soothing. Who doesn't need soothing from time to time?


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Truly a great poem. The writing, fluent and meaningful. The thoughts, brought to life. Can feel the saddness but also the ability to start "something new" even if being careful of it. Don't stop..........

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A most striking piece
one that etches something new
that something can only depict something wonderful
really a treat, and I certainly liked the thought of

Painted the mate of my soul

In a dream

you really are full of wonder and mystique
and this is really beautifully written!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very good metaphor here. (the font color is nice, but a little difficult to read with, maybe a tone or 2 darker would help)

Great form, great flow, wonderful choice of words, very well painted imagery, very well imparted message.

Good poems get read once, great poems get read twice. I read this twice now, but I think I will read it again later :)

A very good piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow!!!!!!! Dani, this rocks! I loved the image of the easel with traces of paint as a metaphor for a past love...I can sooo relate to it! The end offers hope wrapped up nicely in your lines...I think this is my favorite of yours ;) LOL

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love the references to artwork and the basic moulding of that one soul that comes to you in your dreams. This is quite delightful. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I really like your poem. This is so very well written and combines feelings felt and gives hope for new ones. Inspirational!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Again, Ms. Dani - you take a concept to weave a story. I love how you do it. This time it's a painting - one that was perhaps ruined or not finished and one that is about to begin.

Just lovely.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

418 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on June 2, 2008
Last Updated on February 19, 2009

Author

Dani California
Dani California

CA



About
A Noiseless Patient Spiderby Walt Whitman A noiseless patient spider, I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated, Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding, It launch'd fort.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..