Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Daniel Harris

Chapter II: Soul Quest


“In a way, writing fiction is no different from acting, it’s just cerebral. Instead of performing you’re writing down what you see. In fact, I encourage my authors to act because it connects them personally with their characters. At the foundation of a story you must have truthful characters. How do you achieve this? By experiencing life from their eyes, feeling how they feel, discovering what they discover. To put it simply, for a reader to connect with your story you must first do the same. You must live as your character.”


“No.”


“You must live as your character.”


“I won’t.”


“You must live as your character.”


“I want to be me.”


“Akio…”


“I want to go home!”


“Akio!”


#


“Akio!”


“What-!” My head snaps forward but plummets again in that instant. I wince as I rise slowly, this time taking care to avoid the unforgiving base of the upper bunk. Homura is standing beside me, her dress flickering like hot coal. Squint and you’d think she’s a flame.


“You were dreaming,” she utters. “I didn’t want to wake you, but it didn’t sound pleasant.”


“Yeah, I’m still deciding what was worse,” I groan, as I lurch over the bedside. “What happened to me?”


“You were revived by Day Souls, Hoshimi too. You’ve been sleeping in here for twelve hours.”


“Twelve hours? What were you doing?”


“Watching you,” Homura shrugs, as if it were nothing at all. For a moment my mind is empty, my body weighted by weariness, but just a glance at my hands is enough to spark my awareness, firing me to my feet. Homura startles.   


“What was that, back in the chamber!?” I burst. “The Ember Shield? You’re a High Soul? You didn’t tell me you were a High-”


“I had my reasons Akio. Please calm down.”


“Calm down? I was almost killed because Kou wanted to take you! And how did he know about you? About me? What the hell-”


“So you’re awake,” interrupts Hoshimi’s voice, as my dorm door flies open. The moment our eyes meet she frowns, drawing so close to me I’m trapped between both of them. “Do you know how long you were sleeping for?”


“I just told him,” Homura intercedes.


“Twelve hours! And we’ve all been waiting! You’re lucky you woke up now because I swear five minutes more and I would’ve-”


“Wait, what? You were waiting? What were you wait-”


She vice grips my wrist before I can finish, heaving me to the doorway which she opens with a snatch. I’m dragged into the hallway, Homura following behind.


“Hell! Will someone tell me what the bloody-”


“While you were taking a nap the adults got talking and have decided they’ve some use for you,” Hoshimi grunts, without turning back.


“What? Argh-!” Her grasp on my wrist tightens, preventing my response.


“I’m taking you to the council and then all your questions will be answered.”


The web of corridors is vast but nevertheless Hoshimi hauls me down all of them, not once loosening her grip. Still, we have to pass through my favourite spot in the Citadel in order to reach the council room, and that’s a sight worth waking for. It’s High Day, and both suns are at the peak of their rising, warming the courtyard to just the right temperature. We’re on a clifftop overlooking the Abila region, and this exposed to the sunrays few people can handle the heat so it’s almost always barren. I don’t know why the heat doesn’t affect me, but I’m glad. At this time of day the Reagle’s �" large, eagle-like dragonfly hybrids �" come out to hunt, and the light from the blood sun tints the treetops with an auburn glow. I gaze, as speechless as always, at the horde of beasts littering the sky, their eight wings beating in rhythm as they scour the ground for prey. Their hum is melodic, almost lullaby-like. If you close your eyes they won’t open again for much longer. 


The view is so hypnotic I don’t notice we’ve reached the opposing arch until I’m tugged through it, the following passageway of which leads to the Spire, the Citadel’s watchtower. I chuckle to myself.


No wonder I lose track of time up here.


It’s a long way up to reach the council. When we arrive at the summit I have to pause, breathless from the sheer number of stairs. That doesn’t impress Hoshimi, however, and she launches me through the end doorway regardless. She shouts something too but I don’t pay attention. Several people are gazing at me, their faces blank, in the centre of which is Master Chieko. She smiles as Hoshimi storms in from behind.


“…and when the council arrive you better be-!”


“Greetings, Lady Hoshimi,” Master Chieko says. Hoshimi doesn’t respond but rather freezes in place unblinking. Her eyes scan the room, the entire room, at the sternness of the figures seated around us. Of them all, it seems Master Chieko is the only one who isn’t itching to yell. Homura’s entrance ends the silence.


“Master Chieko,” Hoshimi replies, at last. “I wasn’t aware the council had gathered yet.”


“Indeed you weren’t,” she grins. “But we reassembled to discuss another matter, something you would’ve realised had you listened to your transmitter when we called you, rather than give Akio grief.”


Her cheeks flushed, Hoshimi takes the empty seat among the council members. She mutters something under her breath, but I’m close enough to hear it.


“Damn your Third Eye.”


“Akio,” Master Chieko continues. “Seeing as you are here let us first discuss the reason for your summoning.”


“Okay,” I mutter, but I’m by no means paying attention. The wall behind them is panel glass, and only now can I see how high up we are. Other than Heaven’s Stairway, a mountain in the Shakaku region which can be seen even from here, the Spire is the highest peak in Elysia. From here the Reagles are specs, and the trees below form a sea of fire. The city too, appears to be nothing more than a cluster of chestnuts and pinecones.


“Akio, listen to her!” Hoshimi orders, snapping me alert. I stare into Master Chieko’s eyes. They seem to emit kindness instead of frustration, but I’m still tense. I know she’s aware of it, but she simply smiles and repeats herself.


“I said it has come to our understanding that when we sent you on your first mission with the Fourth Legion you refused to follow your leader’s instructions. Would you care to explain why?”


“…I wasn’t given a station!” I stumble, conscious of my climbing heart rate. “I didn’t know whether I was an Alpha or a Beta!”


“Indeed you didn’t,” she agrees. “And yet you joined the Alpha unit anyway.”


“I. I-”


“Your decision to join the Alpha unit is not what concerns us, Akio,” she continues. “We were expecting that much of you. Indeed, we are unsure why you joined Hoshimi but then failed to attack Kou alongside her.”


“It’s because he’s a coward!” snaps one of the council members, giving me chills. He’s donned in a black trench coat and his hair’s cut military style, though it’s barely visible at the length it is. “I don’t see the point of this, Master Chieko. It was a fluke! A-”


“Please settle, Lord Tsukimaru,” she responds frankly, to which he bows. “I don’t suppose you would consider the boy’s bond with a High Soul a fluke as well, would you?”


I glance at Homura, who looks down.


“Wait. So you knew I had bonded with a High Soul too?” I press, returning to her. “You’re all accusing me of freezing because I never knew the power I had, is that it?”


“You’re making assumptions,” Master Chieko frowns. “None of us knew you had bonded with a High Soul; we were not keeping that from you. We are, however, concerned that you didn’t heed Hoshimi’s instructions, even after demonstrating the boldness to join the Alphas.”


“It was a test,” a council member adds, uniquely tall but with a lean physique, not a weedy one. “Seeing as you are the first recruit to bond with an Ember Soul we decided to present you with the opportunity to join the Alphas. We hoped you would make that choice yourself. You failed.”


“Master Chieko, may I interject?” Homura calls from nowhere, pausing my outburst.


“Of course,” she consents. “Please come forward.”


“It is true I am a High Soul,” Homura states, complying, at which the room falls silent. “However there are reasons for my dishonesty.”


Her footsteps are soundless, like she’s balanced on feathers, and no one so much as murmurs whilst she proceeds to the centre. She pauses beside me, her scarlet eyes ablaze. Even in her grace she exudes authority. 


“Noble ones, I did not reveal the truth because you would have forced Akio into power, a responsibility he is not yet ready for. I do not understand how Kou was able to distinguish me, but he is the sole reason you have learnt of my identity.”


“I see,” Master Chieko replies finally, after an enduring pause.


I can’t contain it anymore.


“Now look,” I exclaim. “Can someone please explain what’s going on!?”


Startled by my own audacity I ready myself for the wrath that will surely befall me, but it doesn’t come. Instead, Hoshimi rises to her feet, flashing me a look as she moves to the centre.


“Akio, you are here because I want you to work for me as my auxiliary, as a probationary Alpha,” Hoshimi declares, her eyes driven to Master Chieko. “And I request the council grant me the opportunity to present my case.”


“An Alpha? He couldn’t even join the Betas!” explodes Lord Tsukimaru, but Hoshimi is unshaken. She keeps her gaze steadfast, discounting his protest entirely. 


“Indeed Lady Hoshimi, after showing such promise bonding with an Ember Soul we were expecting him to join you with the Alphas, or at least stay with Betas. But he did neither,” Master Chieko adds. “Now you expect the council to absolve this behaviour? This is highly uncharacteristic of you-”


“With respect,” Hoshimi interrupts. “Akio did join our unit initially, but refused to attack Kou upon my command. It was a mistake to give such a brash order, and somehow he knew it. Some might call that insight.”


“And others call it cowardice, Hoshimi. Not the qualities of an Alpha,” a council woman rebukes, her skin porcelain and golden hair embellished with a halo braid.


For a short while Hoshimi shuts her eyes, her fists clenched. The impatience is welling in her, I can see it, only it doesn’t spew out as I expect but rather dissipates with her breath. When her eyelids open the frustration is gone, replaced with the purest focus. She wouldn’t need that if she wasn’t concerned for the outcome, but this must mean a lot to her.


She wants me that much?


“Master Chieko, my instructions were misguided, given purely out of aggression, and for this reason I failed my duty as legion commander. With respect, I ask that you spare Akio the blame for not following me.”


“While your humility is admirable Hoshimi, that is no excuse for Akio’s lack of action! Disobedience is an extreme breach-!” Unable to contain his fury Lord Tsukimaru rises, this time pointing at me, but Master Chieko cuts him short once more.


“I can see you have more to say, Lady Hoshimi. Please continue.”


“You have heard myself and Akio inflicted great damage upon Kou. This is not just because we fought together. Akio and I bonded our Souls,” Hoshimi states, at which Lord Tsukimaru drops to his chair. The hostility of the room has vanished, flushed by a wash of bewilderment. Its surge has engulfed them all, sparing only Master Chieko who is the only one that appears animate. The rest are drowning.


“I thought as much,” Master Chieko nods, somewhat smirking. At last a tiny voice arises from those seated. It’s Lord Tsukimaru’s.


“Hoshimi…you’re saying you bonded with this boy?”


“I saw Kou. They wounded him significantly,” Master Chieko assures.


“Yes, and it was Akio’s idea,” Hoshimi affirms. “Which is why in this instance a trial for the Alphas is logical. Homura said it herself he isn’t ready for leadership, but he’s already shown enough potential. We need him.”


“Is that all, Lady Hoshimi?” Master Chieko asks, her face furrowed in deliberation. Appearing almost defeated, Hoshimi’s eyes veer back to me.


“Yes, that is all,” she utters, returning to her place among the council.


“Then I think we can proceed to the matter at hand,” she replies, reclaiming Hoshimi’s attention. “I believe we’re all in agreement that no more needs to be said. I see no reason why Akio would not be suited to this trial.”


I stare at Hoshimi, but she doesn’t notice me. A wave of joy has flushed her sorrow.


“The decision opposing us is a formidable one,” Master Chieko continues, addressing me directly. “Akio, I would value your contribution to this discussion.” Her eyes survey the room, landing on each of the council members, but none of them object. Not even Lord Tsukimaru. It seems they still haven’t gotten over Hoshimi’s revelation. “Kou has consumed two Soul Lords, and it has been reported that this region and Ishkur are already showing signs of disturbance. This issue will only get worse, yet I fear Kou is intent on acquiring the other Soul Lords as prophesied. I’m afraid he has forced our hand, and extreme measures must be taken if we are to ensure the protection of our people. Noble ones, I am proposing that we consume the Soul Lords before he does.”


“…You what?” Hoshimi’s elation fades in a spark, and at the same time the council liven with shouts and jeers:


“Master Chieko, no!”


“Surely not!”


“That would make us Soul Eaters!”


“It’s not possible!”


“Master Chieko, if we consume the Soul Lords we are no better than he is! I thought we were going to fight him! That’s why I need Akio!” Hoshimi urges, her voice prevailing over the rest.


“Indeed, and it pains me to suggest it, but these are grave times. Even the First Legion will be an inadequate opponent if he succeeds in consuming another Soul Lord, and we do not know his next target,” she sighs. “You and Akio will be of use, but without harvesting the Soul Lords even your bond will prove no test for Kou.”


“Master Chieko, surely you know what you are expecting us to do,” the porcelain woman warns.


“Indeed I do. Violate the contract of coexistence with the Souls, the foundation upon which the SQF was built. I have given this much thought.”


“Then you must know this proposition is ill-informed!” the woman presses. “To proceed with this notion would destroy-”


“Why do we have to consume them?” I ask, instantly becoming the focus of the room.


“Akio?” Hoshimi mutters.


“We can swap our original Souls right, so why can’t we swap them with the Soul Lords?”


“That’s never been done before,” Master Chieko replies, almost pitiful. Regardless of that though, I yield to the impulse to speak.


“That doesn’t mean it’s not possible.”


“That’s it!” cries Lord Tsukimaru, disrupting the room’s reflection. “I’ve had it with your arrogance! You’re a recruit, what do you know about it? Do you think you’re worthy of bonding with a Soul Lord? Do you? Do y-?”


“He was worthy of bonding with me,” Homura cuts in, sealing him in her glare. “I don’t suppose either of you have so much as touched a High Ember Soul?”


No one responds.


“The young man is right,” Master Chieko says, finally lifting the tension. “We have negated to consider all our options for fear of being wrong. Must we be so proud as to not heed reason, even if comes in the form of a recruit? We will proceed with the quest, and you �" Hoshimi and Akio �" shall spearhead the operation.”


“Master Chieko!” cries a distant voice, just as my stress unwinds. Homura withdraws to me before I’ve fully turned around, rekindling my energy in one jarring bolt. She extends from my hand as the Blaze Sword. “Master Chieko, I couldn’t stop him!”


Without delay the council members rise, weapons to hand, their bodies gleaming with aura. Kou enters the room, a fraught SQF member in close pursuit.


“Don’t move!” the boy commands, as he reaches him. He musters some kind of ice scythe, readied to slash at Kou, but before he can take a single step he’s rammed to the wall, his body constricted by thorny roots. He wails.


“Tell them to stand down,” Kou scowls, acknowledging only Master Chieko. As the pause drags the boy’s volume rises. I’m on the brink of screaming at her when she gives the gesture.


“Do what he says,” Master Chieko waves, at which their auras dwindle. The boy sags panting as the roots uncoil.


“I did not come for a confrontation,” Kou states, apathetic to the boy’s sobs. “You and I both know that it would result in the destruction of the Citadel, and likely everyone in it.”


“Indeed,” she replies, reseating herself. Everyone else shortly follows. “You’ve recovered fast.”


“I have come to caution you,” he continues. “And seeing as there are no other means to present this message to you, I am delivering it in person.”


“Then please proceed.” Somehow Master Chieko is cool, despite the heat of aggravation scorching the chamber. Even now Kou is impassive to the hostility around him, his eyes only ever averting from Master Chieko to glimpse at me.   


“I will not take you for ignorant of the prophecy. You know the time it foretold has come, and you would be foolish to resist it. Your duties are your own, I respect that, but I am to fulfil the prophecy, and I will be merciless if anyone tries to prevent me. Out of respect for your services, I request that the SQF does not stand in my way again. I wish to avoid needless deaths.”


“You b*****d-!” Lord Tsukimaru roars, but Master Chieko’s anger is greater.


“That’s enough!” she commands, her face a grimace. “Kou, have you anything else to say?”


“Only that I hope we reach a settlement between us,” he sighs. “Though I am a Soul Eater, I do not identify myself with the Anti-SQF. Your values are just, and many of you could be of great use to me.” His gaze shifts to me, openly, but this time it doesn’t retract. My grip tautens on the sword hilt, causing the warmth in my hand to swell. “I have said all I need to for now, but know I will soon require your High Souls, and I do not want to take them by force…Think about it Akio.”


At that the light envelops him again, diminishing into the glistening particles. That’s the only trace of him, but his words ring loud as if he were still stood opposite me.


‘Think about it Akio.’



© 2016 Daniel Harris


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on May 4, 2016
Last Updated on June 5, 2016


Author

Daniel Harris
Daniel Harris

United Kingdom



About
I am twenty years of age and have a big passion for both acting and writing - particularly science fiction and dystopias when concerning writing. Currently I have written two novels which were inspire.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Daniel Harris