Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Daniel Harris

Chapter III: Eldoris

It’s a lonely walk back to the courtyard, despite Hoshimi’s company. Neither of us utter a word the moment we leave the chamber, and even Homura has gone silent, her agitation now cramping my chest. That does give me a chance to pick up on things though �" things I might’ve seen earlier had I not been so preoccupied trying to get Hoshimi’s hand off me. A goal that demanded so much attention, in fact, that I’ve only just realised how the steps pulsate as we tread on them, shimmering in colours too radiant to express. The walls are caramel stone, like the rest of the Citadel, but etched into the brickwork are runes and symbols, and they appear to be repeating. Among them are the crests of the eight Forces of Balance �" Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Thunder, Frost, Day and Night �" the kinds we wear on our coats to indicate our Soul type, but there’s another crest too, occurring just as frequently, and it’s one I don’t recognise. It’s a weapon within a shield, almost like a spear, and it’s emitting some kind of energy, at least that’s what the design suggests. The energy though, it’s shaped like a crown. I’m certain it’s coming from the weapon, but there’s no doubt it’s a crown.

At one point Hoshimi catches me studying the wall and gives me a curious look, but that’s the extent of her interaction with me. When we arrive outside again, greeted by the warm breeze of High Day carrying with it the sweet fragrance of the Passion Trees below us, a brief scan of the courtyard confirms we’re alone. Oblivious to my restlessness, Hoshimi perches herself on the edge of the clifftop, which isn’t barriered. I watch as the wind fiddles her violet tresses, her ponytail of which dances to its voice. It’s a serene image, but I can’t relax, not in this silence. I’m hesitant to approach her, but once I’ve sat down beside her I realise she’s unaware of me, her eyes entranced by the landscape before us. Whilst mustering the courage to speak I take my time to admire them �" how her leadership and resolve radiates from the brown eye, yet her vulnerability and kindness dwells in the blue one. Their pigments are pure, almost lustrous in the blood sun’s rays. The words form in my mouth as I observe her, but the moment I open it my throat constricts, rendering them unintelligible.

“I’m sorry?” Hoshimi replies, her eyes veering to mine. She appears almost disinterested in what I could have to say, but she doesn’t retract from me, and that’s enough of a push.

“I wanted to ask you something,” I state, attempting to hold my nerve. Her gaze is steady. “About my trial.”

“Go on.”

“You said it was your decision for me to work for you. But you never said why.”

Her widened eyes imply I’ve startled her, at least for a moment, but her reaction is so brief it’s impossible to be sure.

“It was the efficient choice,” she proclaims, dispelling my theory. “We almost defeated Kou. To not work together would be illogical.”

“Right,” I sigh, turning back to the scene. She pauses a second before responding.

“Why do you ask?”

“I was just wondering,” I smile, shifting my focus to one of the preying Reagles. Just watching it circle the sky relaxes me again. “Thank you, though, for the opportunity.”

The silence lingers, and when I turn to monitor Hoshimi she looks as though she’s about to say something, but a call from the distance diverts her attention. I follow her gaze.

Hey! Looks like we’re working together Shimi!” the distant man continues, his motions zealous. The courtyard is large and he’s a blip from here, but his voice alone fills it all. He waves at us, to which Hoshimi smirks and offers a small one back. Her cheeks flush as he proceeds to jog towards us. “What? You’re just going to sit there? Come on girl, come at me!”

Her face now beaming, Hoshimi abandons me at the Cliffside, running to the arms of the excessively vivacious stranger. She laughs as he catches her, which progresses to squeals as he lifts her from the floor and continues running with her under his arm. I examine him as he approaches: largish build, ebony complexion, a blue coat signifying his bond with an Aqua Soul and…gold embroidery, distinctive of High Class. He’s First Legion.

“What’s up bruh! Akio right? I’ve heard a lot about you,” he cheers as he reaches me, planting Hoshimi by my side again. He grasps my hand without permission, which he then links with his own in a gesture of brotherhood. “The name’s Axel, Axel Dezaki, but to my friends I’m AD so call me that.”

Axel, what are you doing here?” Hoshimi interrupts, composing herself. He snatches her close.

“This one’s too uptight,” he chuckles, messing with her hair. She tries to elbow him away but he’s got her pinned against him. “You’ll have to help me loosen her up.”

“Axel!” she yelps, her attempts to liberate herself now much more frantic. He caves in and releases her at which Hoshimi feigns disgust, but it’s obviously fake. She has to turn away from him just to avoid cracking another smile.

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist,” he grins. “I’ve been assigned to accompany your legion to Eldoris. I am the only one with the High Aqua Soul, remember?”

“There you go again,” Hoshimi scoffs. “We get it, you’re the only one. Me and Kazehaya could still kick your a*s.”

We’ll have to take you up on that offer, Lady Hoshimi,” bellows a voice from within Axel. “But without us you wouldn’t be able to summon the Temple of Incantation.”

“Don’t get defensive, Kaito,” Axel soothes, patting his chest. “And I hear we’re not the only ones blessed with the bond of a High Soul. Yours is an Ember Soul, right?” He stares at me, eyebrows raised.

“Homura. Pleasant to meet you,” Homura answers, as my mouth opens. Axel scrutinises me for a moment.

“You’re a lucky guy bro. I think we can expect a lot from you.”

Again I go to reply, but the rainbow surge of Seekers pouring in through the opposing arch halts my train of thought. Among them are the colours for every Soul type: a red coat for Ember, the flame crest stitched in orange over the coat’s full length, green for Earth, the tree crest stitched in lime, blue for Aqua, a white crest of a waterfall, grey for Wind, the crest of a black twister equal to Hoshimi’s except without the gold trim, charcoal for Thunder, the lightning crest in yellow, ice blue for Frost, the snowflake of deep blue thread, black for Night, with a silver crest of the moon, and white for Day, the sun crest in brilliant bronze. The coats are the same for male and female alike �" trench style and close fitting, which flares at the waist and splits at the legs. At the back is the SQF emblem, sewn in the same thread as the crest: an S, Q and F in fluid cohesion.

“Hoshimi,” the porcelain woman calls, emerging from the masses. “Master Chieko instructed me to fetch my Legion and join you.” She offers a swift bow to Axel, but she doesn’t address him. “Are the rest of yours present?”

“Yes, they’re all here,” Hoshimi replies, her eyes perusing the crowd. “Thank you Mai.”

“Then I see no reason to delay,” she declares, her skin now luminous.

She steps forward to the edge of the cliff, hands outstretched and chin pointed high. The radiance surrounding her surpasses even the purity of her Day coat, securing her the attention of every legionnaire.

“Hinata, grant me your tongue, so I might touch the heart of nature! Mi suno dy sooni sakina drenuni, etya ni shuna vynia setawa!”

As she speaks the energy builds, now resembling the light fragments when the sunrays strike the ocean. Liquid light, shimmering with patterns, and it’s projecting towards the skyline. She continues in her Soul’s language, now watery in appearance, her gaze stiffened on the aura which has reached the Reagles, immersing them in starry pools. Once caught the energy withdraws, luring the beasts close to her. The crowd part as the Reagles descend, their bodies fixed within the light which branches from Mai. When all of them have landed it retreats to her, evaporating from them, until its beauty is just a memory my mind can’t seem to replicate. She turns to the Reagles, which are lounging around us docile. I’m in the shadow of one of their wings, each of which spans the length of four adults.

“Everyone who’s not a Wind user, mount up. We should have enough,” she commands, her stance tall. No one hesitates to obey her, clambering onto the beasts which have now lowered themselves for boarding. One Reagle fits about eight people.

“Come on man, have you never flown one of these before?” Axel smiles, offering his hand to me.

“I didn’t know you could ride them.”

He hauls me up as I accept his hand, setting me at the front where I can grasp the Reagle’s neck. Its body is warm, more so than the sunlight, and as my arms embrace it I realise it has two pulses, so fierce it tremours my palms.   

“It’s easier to ride at the front for your first time,” Axel adds, clasping my shoulders. The Reagle’s hearts hasten as it lifts it head, amplifying the tremour to the intensity of several drums. “But it does mean you’ve got to hold on so we don’t fall off.”

“I-I can’t make any promises,” I joke, trying to play it cool, though despite my poor delivery he still responds with a laugh.

I examine the courtyard. Everyone is ready to depart, only, the cluster of grey coats are yet to move. Hoshimi’s among them, and she’s meeting my stare.

“Hoshimi? Why aren’t you guys getting on?”

“You’ll see,” she smirks, as if whatever was affecting her earlier was all in my imagination. “I’ll race you.”

“Race me? What do you-?” The Reagle doesn’t give me a chance to finish. Its whole body shudders as its wings expand, its musculature stiffening as they accelerate, the resulting lift of which is so violent Axel has thrust his weight on me just so I stay on. Wind force pummels me from every direction, but Axel has me trapped, my head driven to the feathers.

“Sorry man �" should’ve warned you about take off,” he chuckles, although his voice is strained. With effort I manage to shift my head sideways, but instead of sky I’m met by Hoshimi’s ample grin. She’s flying beside me.

“You should see your face,” she teases. “Look after him for me, will you Axel?

“You got it,” Axel laughs, helping me upright. “Ease up man. The worst part’s over.”

Still smiling, Hoshimi soars away to the rest of the Wind users. There’s no whirlwind surrounding them, and yet they’re airborne, each of them navigating the sky as if they belong there, and it’s all they know.

“Just keep holding on �" these things accelerate fast,” Axel adds, reviving my awareness. My hands were slipping.

It’s hard to keep hold with my hands trembling, but when I peer down at the scenery I soon forget the struggle. Everything is at peace, just how it should be: the grand forest minimising behind us, rose-dyed clouds masking the view. Axel’s right, it’s been minutes and we’re already in the Shakaku region, Heaven’s Stairway now fast approaching. My eyes now watering, I attempt to shield my nose from the soot that saturates the air. Below us, beginning from where the tree line ends, are a mass of scorched-out ruins, the fire damage visible even from here, with most of the smouldering rubble still blanketed by ash. Some areas are still alight, though it’s mostly by the base of the mount. Looking at it now, a decade after the SQF headquarters was destroyed here, it’s not difficult to imagine what the War must’ve been like.

Alarmed, I latch myself to the Reagle again, calling upon the strength of all my limbs. It isn’t humming anymore, and its wings aren’t beating �" it’s retracted them to its side, it’s body now streamlined as we swerve around the mount. This is no bird, and I’m no pilot. It’s a rocket and I’m a passenger in peril…the fragility of my fingers only outweighed by my desperation not to die.  

“Axel! Axel!”

“It’s all good! You’ve got this man!” Axel hollers, over the wind’s thunderous cackle. The sudden burst of speed almost throws me into him, the force not unlike an uppercut to the face, but something keeps me on, be it will or pure terror, to the point that when it’s all over it even takes his persuasion for me to let go. When I finally unwind from the Reagle the distance we’ve travelled is immediate, with Heaven’s Stairway barely a speck in our wake. Ahead of us is a ceaseless span of glassy sea. We’ve reached Eldoris, the region that’s never known a day of drought.

Being entirely ocean, it’s a wonder Axel knows where to take us. Even so, everyone halts at his bellow, hovering around the single spot where he commands our Reagle to settle. He rises to his feet, his stance unusually poised.

“You sure this is the place?” he verifies, his eyes wide with anticipation.

“Yes, I sense my family,” his Soul, Kaito, answers. “The Temple’s below here.”

“Wait, so you’re saying we have to dive in and search for the Temple?” I ask, wobbling to my feet. Axel grasps me by both shoulders.

“Nope. Usually we would, but I’ve already bonded with a High Soul so that saves us the hard work,” he smirks, with devious suggestion. “Ok, Kaito, just as we practised hey?”

“You’ve got this,” Kaito affirms.

“So if I screw up, all that happens is the Temple potentially collapses on us. No biggie, right?” Axel jests, his body now brightening in azure sheen.

“No pressure,” Kaito adds, only with much more severity.

“I don’t know where about this is going to pop up, so stay alert,” he calls to Hoshimi, who nods at him with a wary expression. He smiles in response, but it’s only brief �" for the first time since we’ve met his vitality fades, replaced by an abounding sense of composure which wipes his face of all expression. With his eyes closed he extends his arms in front of him, opening his palms to the sea.

“Kaito, High Soul of Eldoris and Heart Piece of Suigetsu, I bid you, impart in me the will of the sea, so I might shape it with my own for the purpose of defending this nation. Ocean of sovereignty, test me in this, for I desire only the unity of our hearts, and my cause is virtuous! This I declare in contract with The Eight, and may I perish under written law should I intend anything of the contrary!”

At once a javelin of water spurts out from the waves, striking Axel with such ferocity I’m showered in razor droplets. The jet is persistent, but somehow Axel keeps his balance. Within moments it’s enveloped him, like a liquid cage, yet when the flow ceases it doesn’t release him.

“My heart has been tested, and yet you have found no fault,” he continues, his voice now even clearer than it was on dry land. “Now, by Suigetsu’s authority, bestow on me the words of incantation, the holy language learned when master and Soul are one. I wish to raise the Temple, the kingdom of spells, for I have come to inherit its power in accordance with our contract’s fulfilment. Risunu makaka nai, dredrion li stya haithika duu krato, jawana vextrawa vecranu diponef!”

Upon Axel’s declaration his watery sphere glows bright, reducing to his palms in one concentrated orb. With his eyes still closed he continues in the mystic tongue, the orb now a pellet which even so is too bright to watch. Suddenly it beams from his hand in one sharp ray, piercing the sea in an identical manner to how it struck him. It disappears as abruptly as it fires, but nothing follows, the ocean remains calm, the silence filled only by the Reagles’ scattered squawks.

“Hmm. I wasn’t expecting that,” Axel mulls, his eyes finally open. I gaze around at the others but none of them can dare to speak, their focus pinpointed on the rippling anti-climax. Everyone except for Hoshimi.

“This is illogical,” Kaito answers, just as she flies beside us. “You recited everything correctly. Suigetsu heard you. I felt him call you when you received his power.”

“You sure he wasn’t telling me to get lost?” Axel smirks, somewhat, still unaware of Hoshimi’s presence. She crosses her arms.

“Are you seriously joking right now?” she seethes, causing him to start. Two people rush to catch him before he topples off the edge. “You realise the SQF were depending on your ability to summon the Temple, right? You understand the gravity of this situation, right?”

“Hey, I did my best ok?” he snaps, which almost startles me as much as she had him. “Glad to see you’re back to your regular self.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” It almost looks like she’s about to push him off herself, but she retrains from it, her fists now trembling. It’s a harsh blow, but Axel’s right. And she knows it.

“You worry too much!” he insists, through gritted teeth. “I did my best, ok? I can do no more. We’ll just have to dive in and find the damn thing ourselves. God, I’m sorry about your parents! I’m sorry for everything! But you’re our commander now and it’s about time you act-”

A resounding explosion arrests him midsentence, only turning towards it I realise it isn’t one at all. Everyone else has ducked down, taking cover, but I’m too awestruck to join them. There, on the horizon, far enough to ensure we’re safe but close enough to spray us soaked, the sea’s erupting, the water already so high it’s blocked the suns. It doesn’t descend again, but continues to rise, and with it emerges a sight to behold: enormous, crystalline, its walls refracting the sunlight in a multihued assortment of patterns. There’s one giant structure, with multiple structures suspended around it. It’s encased by the ocean, floating in the sky in the same spherical imprisonment Axel was in.  

The Temple of Incantation.

With my tongue in knots, my eyes devour its divinity. The Temple itself appears to be constructed of gemstone, each block meticulously sculpted to give the appearance of waves. It’s been fashioned in a way that makes it appear they’re building, combining at the centre to form the Temple’s towering core. Where the waves separate they shape the entrances, all of them cavernous and without obstruction. The way it all connects resembles the pinecone structure of our Capital, but unlike the Capital there’s a current linking the core to the smaller blocks, similar to a web.

“That’s it,” Hoshimi mutters, her eyes unblinking. “Axel. You did it.”

“I didn’t doubt you for a moment,” Kaito adds, but Axel’s too mesmerised to respond. Only when Hoshimi laces her arm around him does he escape the trance.

“I’m sorry,” she sighs, pulling him close. “It wasn’t personal.”

“I know it wasn’t,” he utters, only much more like his usual self. He cups her hand in his. “How about we finish this quest now, hey Shimi?”

It’s not much of a smile, but she attempts one anyway. Returning to the others she gives the order, and in a matter of seconds the Reagles have brought us all to the sphere. I take deep breaths to slow my pulse, my heart brimming with gratitude for not having motion sickness. Within the sphere the sea life are roaming freely, some swimming so close I can almost touch them with my hand. Most of them are fish, some thorny or barbed, some even with an electric current circling their many fins, but there are sharks in the midst, and they’re enormous. One of them has three heads, each as big as my body, lurking in the shadows like imminent death.

We’re not seriously going in there, are we Homura?

“They can’t hurt Chosens,” Homura soothes. “But if you get scared flash your fire.”

On his feet again, Axel addresses the rest of the team, who likewise don’t seem too enthralled about the idea of swimming. Hoshimi’s the only one who’s not staring at the sphere.  

“Okay team, listen up! Inside that sea is the Temple of Incantation, the home of the Aqua Soul Lord, and if we want to reach it we’re going to have to swim. I know for those of you who aren’t Aqua Soul users that seems like an impossibility, but my High Soul will permit us to breathe once I cast the spell. You will remain in its protection until I break it, so trust me on that! Also, before we can access the Soul Lord’s chamber we have to defeat the seven remaining High Souls that guard it, which means we’ll have to split into equal teams. There’s sixty-five of us here, so that means seven groups of eight and one of nine, but each group must have an Alpha. I will be accompanying the fourth legion’s commander in addition to her unit, so our group will make up the nine. Before I cast the spell, arrange yourselves now!”

With haste, the members guide their Reagles into several clusters, their obedience so efficient its almost methodical. No one is left dillydallying between groups, and even Hoshimi appears content with them, albeit it’s somewhat subtle. 

“There are eight entrances, so this works out perfectly,” Axel continues. “None of us have ever been in there before, so keep your wits about you. If we stay in our groups we should be able to locate and defeat the High Souls with no trouble, but it will take all of us to open the chamber. If you find it, and you’ve defeated your High Soul, radio the others and we’ll track you. Remember, the chamber can’t be opened until we’ve acquired the Heart Piece of each High Soul, so keeping an open communication is key here. This is the kingdom of spells, so once we’re in there’s no telling what will happen. I have every faith in you guys. It won’t be easy, but remember why we’re doing it!”

For Elysia!” the members cry in unison, pumping their fists. Axel nods.

“For Elysia,” he agrees, his body returning to its blue brilliance. “Stream of life, one who flows through me, I ask that you bestow yourself upon my comrades. Like water adopts the shape of its vessel, fill their lungs with your breath, so never again will they hunger, or thirst for worldly sustenance. This I ask through the divinity imparted to me, which by Suigetsu’s name alone permits me to command you, floodgate of the living ocean, release!”

I gaze wide-eyed at my hands, which along with the rest of my body have assumed Axel’s aura. The other members too, gasp as they inspect themselves, the entire legion now bathed in his Soul’s sapphire glitter.    

“Ok team, move out!”

In headlong compliance the units rush the sphere, the Wind users spearing into it, the others leaping from the Reagles with unshakable faith. For a moment I stare at it, my own unit already distancing themselves from me, but the following splash incites my limbs again. Hoshimi’s pulled me in, her hand clamped to my own.

“Follow me,” she frowns, unmindful of the liquid environment. “Can you swim?”

“Yes,” I reply, though most of my focus is on how we can still speak.

“Good.” She releases my hand, but I’m almost wishing she hadn’t. The three-headed shark is looming, and though Hoshimi’s oblivious it doesn’t seem to be her its following. Even as I flail my arms after her, its eyes remain trained on me.

Wait. Homura, what’s-?

“Look out!” Homura urges, as Hoshimi enwraps herself around me. The vortex misses us by inches, but the unit neighbouring us aren’t as lucky. The water vibrates with their screams as it sucks them in, their bodies swiftly consumed by one of the Temple’s gaping entrances. Another entrance starts swirling shortly after, the current firing towards a second group without any hint of warning. It swallows them just quick.

“Akio, hold onto me!” Hoshimi grunts, as she strains to pull us from its clutch. A third vortex follows, this time almost taking Axel with it, but he’s too nimble. Even the fish can’t swim at that pace.

“Stay together!” Axel demands, over the outcry of terror. He reaches us before another vortex strikes him, reforming our unit with two men in hand, but the rest are scattering. Some are even retreating back to the Reagles, their valour a fleeting whisper amongst the chorus of strident shrieks. “There’s no other way in!” he calls to Hoshimi.

“I know!” she yells, accepting his open palm.

“Hold onto to each other!”

Linked by the hands we pause, watching as the Temple engulfs the scrambling legionnaires. I look to Hoshimi, who grips my hand tighter in response. Axel nods as I turn to him.

But the impact prevents my reply.



© 2016 Daniel Harris


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on June 5, 2016
Last Updated on June 5, 2016


Author

Daniel Harris
Daniel Harris

United Kingdom



About
I am twenty years of age and have a big passion for both acting and writing - particularly science fiction and dystopias when concerning writing. Currently I have written two novels which were inspire.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Daniel Harris


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Daniel Harris