Awaiting Fate

Awaiting Fate

A Chapter by DarkSorrows
"

Dark people surround us at every waking moment. Time will tell..will this couple survive it?

"
Chapter One


"Hello?" She answered after a moment of waking up. 
"Hey, it's Jake." He spoke close to the phone. She hummed ever so lightly, even though he would be able to hear her. "I woke you up didn't I? Go back to sleep and I'll call you later on." She knew she had an early morning ahead of her, but she wanted to talk to him. Jake is a wine taster, he goes around to different countries to find the perfect wines and then tries to make his own when gets back.
"No, don't hang up. Where are you?" She asked ever so quickly.
"I'm in France, I'll be home later this evening. Tell me, what time is it there?" Jake asked her. She sighed while she knew what he was doing. 
"4am, but it's okay, I want to talk to you." She replied.
"I'm going to let you go, no but's, I'll see you tonight. Sleep my dear." With that, Jake hung up. She placed her phone on the bedside table and in a few moments she was fast asleep.

*

'Beep, beep, beep!' The alarm clock sounded. She practically jumped out of her skin when she was jolted awake. "Okay, okay I'm awake." She said as she clicked off the alarm.

*

"Audrie, Mark wants to speak with you. Go. Now." She got up from her chair and walked quickly to her boss's office. She knocked before coming in.
"You wanted to speak with me?" She asked.
"Yes, close the door and sit down." He replied. She sat down in the chair closest to his desk.
"Audrie, you're one of our best wedding planner's, but we have made changes in this company. We're letting you go, I'm sorry. If you would, clean up your workplace and go home. Hope you do well in the future." He said at a normal pace, but it felt like her world was crashing down right in front of her. All that she was able to do was nod, get up and go pack her stuff up. She walked out of the office as fast as she could, but when she got to her car she accidentaly dropped her box of stuff. Just as she was bending down to grab the box her cellphone rang. "Hello?" Audrie answered in a frustrated tone.
"Hey, it's Jake. Are you okay, you sound angry?" He asked. Audrie sighed as tears fell down. 
"I just got fired, I don't want to talk about it, just come home and I'll see you soon." Then she hung up on him.

*

"Audrie? Is that you?" Jake's voice sounded from upstairs. Audrie didn't respond, she just dropped her box on the ground, not caring whatsoever, and walked over to the couch. She started to cry the next moment after and Jake lifted her into his arms, comforting her. Audrie cried in his arms until it got dark out, and for an hour after that she hugged him.
"What happened?" Jake asked. She shrugged while standing up and walking over to pick up the box she had dropped. "Wait, I'll get that for you." He was next to her in a second. She waved her hand and moved the box onto the table next to the stairway.
"One of the people that I work with, Stacy, told me that Mark wanted to speak with me. So I got up, went into his office and he told me tthat he had to make budget cuts, which meant I got fired. But I guess I'll just have to move on..I'm glad you're home though. It's been a long month and a half without you."
"I'm glad I'm home as well." Jake smiled. "So, what are you going to do for a job now?" He asked.
"I don't know yet. I guess I'll be here a whole lot more.." Audrie hugged Jake tightly and wouldn't let him go, even as he tried to loosen her grip.
"Since its only 8pm on a Friday night, what would you like to do?" She asked as she let go of him.
"How about we go see a movie together? You go get ready and I'll look at the listings." Jake said and she nodded.

"So what do you think?" Audrie walked into the kitchen when Jake was getting a glass of water. She was wearing dark blue jeans, a long sleeved blouse, and purple high heels. She loved wearing heels, because of how tall Jake is, he's 6ft and she's 5'7ft. Jake placed the glass down on the counter and kissed her on the cheek.
"You look beautiful." Audrie smiled. "I found a movie, it's at 10:30pm. Since it's only 9pm, we'll go out to dinner." Jake said as he was gazing into her deep blue eyes and she nodded.
"Will you drive?" Audrie asked him.
"Of course and it's your turn to pick the music." Jake replied as he kissed the top of her head.
"But the last time we were in the car, I picked the music, so it's your turn." Audrie kissed his cheek and walked out the door. Jake followed her out the door and opened the passenger door for her. "Thanks." She smiled as she got in.
*
"Welcome to Fraunk's Bistro, what can I get you to drink?" A male server named Anthony asked. Jake smiled at Audrie and then llooked up to Anthony.
"We'll have the bottle of year '99 of the merlot please." Jake ordered and Anthony walked away. 
"Have you had that kind of merlot before? It seemed like you knew what to order." Audrie asked quietly.
"Yes, I had ordered it one night in France. It was very good and I hope like it." Jake replied. Audrie smiled as Anthony came back with the wine and placed it down.
"Alright, what can I get you for dinner on this fine night?" Anthony asked. 
"Audrie will have the small steak, rare please, with mixed vegetables. And I will have the same thing except I will have my steak medium-rare please." Jake ordered swiftly and smiled at Audrie.
"Very good, I will have that out for you as quickly as I can." Anthony wrote down the order and walked away.
"I love how I don't have to order for myself when I'm with you." Audrie smiled at Jake and he chuckled. Ten minutes passed and at last their food had been delivered.
*
About an hour and a half later, Audrie and Jake left Fraunk's and now trying to find a parking spot in the movie theatre lot.
"Which movie are we seeing?" Audrie asked as she grazed Jake's leg closest to her. Jake smiled at her before answering.
"It's called, A Sight To See. It's a horror movie, but if you get frightened you have me to hold onto." He pulled into a parking spot, but wasn't near the front of the theatre, instead it was the farthest parking spot. "Sorry, it's far away from the theatre." 
"Hmm..it's okay." Audrie replied as she ejected her seatbelt, picked up her gray purse that Jake had bought for her last Christmas, and stepped out of the car. Audrie walked around the car and hugged Jake tightly. She loosened her grip, but still stayed close. Jake kissed her lips with great wonder, he couldn't help but smiling throughout the kiss.
"I love you." He pulled back and laced his hand with hers.
"Shall we walk to the theatre?" Jake asked and Audrie nodded.
#
A Sight To See had started about twenty minutes ago and Audrie was already hiding behind Jake. The movie was set in the early 1900s and it was inspired by a true story. The main character, Toby, was a normal teenager up until the day where his parents supposively died in a car wreck. He got involved with a drug lord later that month. Toby was getting into the worst types of drugs and people. Truth be told, Toby's parents weren't so dead after all, they were very much alive.   Jake was holding her hand as well as being a protector for the movie. "Are you scared?" Audrie whispered in Jake's ear and he smiled in reture. 
"No, my love, but I know you are." He whispered back. The main character on the screen let out a high pitched scream while he fell down. Audrie jumped and squezzed Jake's hand. Jake found it funny that Audrie was scared by a man's scream, he chuckled. Audrie punched him lightly on the thigh.
"Shh!" A man hissed at them. Both Audrie and Jake tried their best not to laugh throughout the remainder of the movie.
*
"That movie was so scary! And if I die tonight, I blame you." Audrie said from the kitchen to Jake.
"Oh, you're not going to die, I won't let you." Jake replied as he walked in behind her. 
"What if you can't stop it? There better not be a guy with a gun in our room." Audrie frowned. Jake came over and smoothed out her frown to a smile.
"There isn't a guy with a gun. Here I'll go check." He walked away as he chuckled. After a minute or so, Audrie was getting worried and sprinted up the stairs.
"Jake?" She whispered into the room. "Jake, where are you?" Nothing happened and she moved further into the room.
"Boo!" Audrie yelped and then covered her mouth. Jake laughed as he brought her close to his warm chest. "Still scared huh? I'm sorry, that was mean of me." 
"I agree, it was mean of you." Audrie smiled and let him hold her. "But since there's no on scary around, except you, I'm going to bed." She pulled away from Jake and took off her high heels. "Do you have to work tomorrow?"
"Nope, which means you and I can do whatever you'd like." Jake replied as he switched the fan light off and turned both of the bedside table lamps. Audrie slid into the bed next to Jake and gazed at him.
"Do you think we'll ever get married?" Audrie asked and jake looked down at her.
"Yes, but I thought you wanted to take it slow.." He said.
"I do, but it's been 4 years. I love that we're taking it slow and I love you. Just know that I'm ready when you're ready." Audrie replied, but she saw something different in his eyes that made her feel insecure. "Forget what I said, it doesn't matter." With that she turned around to turn off the table lamp and laid down.
*
Audrie woke up around 4:30am, unexpectedly as well. She tried for an hour and a half to get back to sleep, but couldn't. She quietly got out of bed and went down stairs. When Audrie became a wedding planner she had to stop baking, even though its one of her favorite things to do. Since she had been fired she completely forgot about baking. She looked through the cabinets and found two bags of flour, some sugar, a rolling pin, three cookie sheets and her blue electronic mixer. She washed her hands before she spread a cup of flour on the wide dark oak island in front of her. Audrie went to the stove and set the heat up to 425 degrees. She decided on making three cookie sheets worth of dark chocolate cookies.
*
Jake woke up at 9am, which was late to him. He looked over to Audrie's side of the bed, but she wasn't there. He slid out of bed and put a pair of gray jeans and a white shirt on before going downstairs to find Audrie.
"Audrie?" Jake asked.
"Morning, want a dark chocolate cookie?" She smiled as soon as she saw him.
"How long have you been up? Hopefully not all night.." He walked over to her and gently moved her long beautiful dark brown hair away from her neck to kiss it.
"I've been up since 4am." Audrie turned, handed him a cookie and smiled. "I'm going to go take a shower, then you and I can go out." She kissed his lips before walking around him to go upstairs.
"Wait a second!" Jake skipped on over to Audrie. "Shouldn't we take it easy this morning? You did say you've been up since 4am right?" She turned around and kissed his forehead.
"Yes, I've been up all morning. But I'm awake and we're going out. Oh and I'm paying." Audrie replied. Jake shook his head. 
"No, I always pay-"
"I know you do, that's why I'm paying. I'll be down in twenty minutes." She replied.
*
Audrie was down the stairs in the exact amount of time she told Jake she would be.
"Let's go, c'mon!" She yelled to Jake and he skimpered over to her.
"Where are we going?" Jake asked as he was pulled out the door. 
"We're walking to the biggest park in this city, Applewoodland Park." Audrie smiled. Applewoodland Park was four miles away, it was easier to drive rather then walk. 
"You realize that Applewoodland Park is far away from where we live right? I'll drive." Jake asked surprised, except Audrie pulled his arm and kept walking.
"I know how far it is, but we're walking." She smiled.
*
Sweat beads were running down Jake's neck, he's a fit guy, but he doesn't walk four miles everyday. He glances at Audrie and she looks perfect as ever. How does she do that, he pondered.
"So, we made it. What are we going to do this fine morning?" Jake asked as he laced his hand with hers. She smiled and pecked his cheek with a light kiss.
"Well I was thing we could swing." Audrie pulled Jake along to the swingset. "And after we swing for awhile, we'll walk back home and make lunch."
"Sounds like a wonderful morning to me." Jake flashed his great smile. They walked together towards the swingset and held hands as they lightly pushed themselves to go back and forth.
*
When they started to head back home, Audrie leaned into Jake and whispered, "I love you." He kissed her forehead and then kissed her lips.
"Audrie? Audrie Duke?" A man called out and she looked over. Her eyes widened at the man called her name and Jake held tightly onto her hand.
"Keith Crub?" Audrie asked when he came closer to her and Jake.
"Yeah! How've you been? Whose this, your brother?" Keith asked. Jake made a face at the last question, gladly Keith didn't see it.
"Keith, this is my boyfriend, Jake. Jake, Keith." She squezzed Jake's hand and smiled at Keith. Keith looked shocked for a few moments and then recovered.
"Oh, but in college you hated boy's. You didn't want a guy in your life, guess you've changed. Hey, great talking with you, but I've gotten run. Bye!"
"Bye Keith." Audrie said and she kissed Jake's hand. She looked straight into his eyes but he wasn't focused on her. "What?"
"Do I really look like I could be your brother?" Jake asked when both started to walk home again.
"I don't think so, but maybe to other people you do.." 
"Well as long as you don't think I look like I could be your brother is fine with me." Jake replied.
"What do you want to have lunch?" Audrie asked as she turned her head to yawn.
"Anything. We could call for a pizza or we could cook pasta." Jake said. 
"Let's get a pizza, but I'm paying for it. Remember? I told you no but's." Audrie smiled and kept on walking. 
*
By the time they got to the house, the front door was wide open. Audrie was the first one to notice and tugged on Jake's shirt.
"What?" Jake asked as he looked at her eyes.
"The door..it's open. Did you lock it?" Audrie asked in a horrified tone. Jake looked the door and got his cellphone out. He dialed 911.
"911 emergency, how may I help you?" A woman answered the phone.
"Yes, we're at 1459 Aspen Drive and we just got home to find our front door wide open." Jake replied.
"I will send a patrol car over, stay on the line until they get there."
"Okay, thank you." Jake said and wrapped a protective arm around Audrie as she kept both her eyes on their house.
*
Two patrol cars rolled up ten minutes later and four deputy's got out. Jake said good-bye and said thank you to the emergency operator.
"Excuse us? Are you the one who called in?" One of the officers asked Jake. 
"Yes, we were walking home and when we got here the front door was wide open." Jake answered. 
"Alright, have you gone into your house?" As the officer was asking they all heard something crash in the house. The two duputy's ran into the house and after a few minutes of nothingness, the officer's came out with Keith. Audrie was shocked and felt her knee's tremble a bit.
"That's...oh." Audrie's voice cracked and turned her head into Jake's shoulder. Keith had been cuffed and was now being taken to the patrol car.
"Audrie! I love you! I was waitin' for ya.." Keith yelled out before he was seated in the back of the police car.


© 2013 DarkSorrows


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful write.
You have done great.
Dialogues are superb.
I will read the other chapter later.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 14, 2013
Last Updated on August 17, 2013


Author

DarkSorrows
DarkSorrows

Longmont, CO, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Writing for me is a form of therapy. It helps me deal with a lot of things that happen in my life, a lot of stress is relieved when I'm writing. more..

Writing



Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5