An Immortal Truth

An Immortal Truth

A Story by DaughterofHonor
"

When you think you know how it feels...

"

An Immortal Truth

Immortality.  Something that is longed for by the human race.  Mortals see it as a blessing, God’s gift to a select few.  To them it is an intriguing secret, veiled in divine mysteries.  Immortality is a remedy to death which they view as evil, a curse, and an inevitable weakness.

                The truth be told, they only see a glimpse of our unending lives.  They are only shown what we want them to see�"to have them perceive us as gods.  A lie.  We lead deceitful lives, and do so with skill; for we are the definition of deception.  Every day we beguile more souls through enlightenment or nightmares.  Always gaining, never losing.  We have only had infinite and we have the rest of eternity to perfect our act.

                Yet the morals are stronger than us.  Of course they think we have supernatural powers and in actuality we do, we can walk through walls, fly, haunt people and cast spells, but that is because that is what they want us to do.  The very power to live forever is written by their desire for us to do so.  It is only their belief in us that keeps us alive.  We are puppets of their fantasy coming to life.  They are slaves to their own fears and perceptions of the unknown.  We are created in the untouchable shadow lands of people’s imagination that logic cannot explain. 

                If the mortals knew this we would be extinct.  Our existence is a masquerade ball; beautiful, but terribly misleading.  The only thing that is real is the mask, our powers and abilities, and even that is a lie.  Behind the mask is not a face of a spirit but of nothing, just time and space.  We never existed and never will.

© 2013 DaughterofHonor


Author's Note

DaughterofHonor
Just a quick short I wrote up. Would love feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It took me a little time to realize that you were talking about ghosts (at least I think you were). Interesting take.

Posted 10 Years Ago


DaughterofHonor

10 Years Ago

Haha, yes, ghosts, spirits, just immortal beings in general. But thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Added on September 21, 2013
Last Updated on September 21, 2013
Tags: Immortal