Acceptance: Part Two

Acceptance: Part Two

A Chapter by Dayna Clarke
"

He's back to where he started; Redd is on the verge of something great, but what is he prepared to do?

"
Captaincy... It feels wrong, but how can I turn it down? It's a natural step forward for me; something expected from me.
Three mages needed questioning, according to one of the lower-ranking Knights. Myron questioned the first, going in confident and not being seen afterwards, probably from the stress - though the ordeal was probably worse for the person interrogated; the mage, however, has been seen, looking worse for wear and terrified. I imagine that Myron doesn't look much better.
I stand at the door of the tower - the tower I recognise so well - and wait for the Commander to come down the corridor. The clanking of metal indicates I'm not going to have to wait for long. His stern face is visible as he turns the corner. I stand tall, but he thrusts me through the wooden door.
The room hasn't changed much. It was still dank, and humidity still made it hurt to breathe. The mage, a woman with scars on her arms, sits cross-legged in the corner of the room. Glaring at me, she screeches,
"You're here to oppress me; to oppress us all!" A banshee would quiet in comparison.
"This will be short," I state coldly, despite the red-hot rage I feel, "The scars on your wrists show us all that,"
She hides her wrists from the Knights in the room. Scars, slits, careless incisions made in utter desperation. Dangerous, deadly, destined for a ferocious fate to be finalised by me, under the oath of The Order of Leto.
"Don't judge me," She hisses and spits at me, and begins to lunge from her seated position. I grab her shoulders, to stop her. The other Knights draw their swords, but I order them to stand down. If she gets so much as a papercut...
"The Order of Leto makes your situation very clear," I say, still holding her, "You are not a mage. You are a maleficar."
"I am neither, you do not see that I am no less a person than you," She yells at me. I push her to the ground, "How dare you?"
"Please, calm down. I am not insinuating anything. There are rules, though. Maleficar prove to be dangerous to all involved." I take a deep breath.
She crosses her legs again and looks up at me with wide and denying eyes. She knows what is to come, but she smiles and shakes her head, her ragged platinum-blonde hair swishes around behind her with each graceful movement. Grace is something I wouldn't have expected from a screeching woman who appears to have slept in a forest for a month.
"You're going to kill me, aren't you? But how?"
"It won't be too difficult," I say and turn to the Knights, "If there's so much as droplet of blood out of her veins, I will kill you. Am I clear?" There is no jovial tone in my voice. My attention gets directed to my commander and simply nod.
I take my leave. There is nothing more to say to anyone. I return to my bed, to lay down and think over the events. Reflection is not a good idea, so I stand and go to leave the Tower. The Sword and Staff has got ale and mind-numbing conversation; a numb mind, after the events of the past few days, is welcome.


© 2012 Dayna Clarke


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 11, 2012
Tags: knights, magic, mages, oppression, fantasy


Author

Dayna Clarke
Dayna Clarke

London, Enfield, United Kingdom



About
I write poetry, stories, songs and the occasional random paragraph that connects to nothing. more..

Writing