1. Prologue

1. Prologue

A Chapter by Deadly Iris
"

The prologue to this sci-fi epic.

"

EDEN: Eve of Conflict

Earth 2027.


A world outgrown.


Scarred by countless wars and the many advances of our ancestors.

Humanity took its first voyages across space in a desperate attempt to colonize other planets, other worlds, and other solar systems.

But space is timeless and infinite.


As expected, Humanity found a way to combat this:


The Mass Drivers; stargates with the ability to travel quickly and safely to other star systems.


With mastery of this technology, Mankind pressed onward, further into the cosmos.


2035


Corporations rose to power and stood at the forefront of the space frontier, taking whatever planets were within their reach through us of the Mass Drivers. But even the new transportation had its limits.

When the Mass Drivers could push no further into space; conflicts arose and soon turned into heated battles in the cold aura of space that would last for years to come.


The battles raged until the landmark discovery of an unplowed wormhole; a celestial gateway through which Mankind would be rebirthed.


A group of brave pioneers flew forward into the wormhole and came out unscathed. They were transported instantly to an entire new, pure, and rich solar system which they would name, Eden.


The rest of civilization followed in their coming, seeing visions of paradise and a second chance. Spreading across the stars, they embraced Eden with great expectations, hopes, and dreams.


But nothing is free in this world. There is always a price.


And so there was. The biblical wormhole from which they came collapsed, cutting them off from the Milky Way and their home worlds. It was the beginning of a dark age.


The virgin planets of Eden became the graveyards of many. On the few planets that could sustain life, the last of our race struggled to adapt and survive amongst the treacherous stars.


In time, society was born anew and the remnants of our past shifted from legend to myth.


The first to emerge from the dark depths were the Thalians. A religious race dedicated, some say dangerously, to their faith. They reinvented space flight and starships, trying once again to move amongst the stars and into the light.


They soon discovered they were not alone.


The Thalians encountered the Nymerian race; dismissing them as nothing more than primitive barbarians and savage beast destined for a life of slavery. Moving quickly to dominate them, they launched a merciless crusade against the Nymerian worlds.


At the same time, another nearby race, the Avallonians prospered. They crated the first true democratic republic of the new age and established a regional federation of independent states known as the Avalon Federation.


The Corailians emerged as the strongest state of them all. They were driven by the relentless pursuit of military and economic strength. Their nationalist ideals clashed with the Avallonians liberalism causing the Corailians to secede from the Federation and become the Corailian State.


Destruction, suffering and pain once again engaged a chokehold on civilization. Four races were torn apart by two horrific wars. When all that was left were the specs of dust and ruins of shattered lives and empires, a universal truce was declared known as the Silver Lining Compromise.


For more than a century, the races of Eden have lived in relative peace. Prosperity and the constant pursuit of growth had driven mankind. But the peace will not last much longer. The Four Races have overlooked a potential threat. A forgotten evil will reawaken and forge a path of destruction and chaos.


This is the story of the saving grace of Eden in the form of a Valkyrie And on the strength of her wings, the fate of empires and the hopes of worlds will be decided. She will encounter many hardships and loss, but eventually, she will rise from the ashes and take control of a destiny that is rightfully hers.



© 2012 Deadly Iris


Author's Note

Deadly Iris
Feel free to point out any grammer problems; I tend to run into a lot of those in my writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on December 2, 2012
Last Updated on December 2, 2012
Tags: prologue, eden, eve, change, sci fi, action, adventure, mystery


Author

Deadly Iris
Deadly Iris

NC



About
I'm a 19 year old college student with a passion for writing long, ambiguous stories with relatable characters. more..

Writing
2. First 48 2. First 48

A Chapter by Deadly Iris