2. First 48

2. First 48

A Chapter by Deadly Iris
"

A group miners encounter something horrendous and set the stage for the rest of this tale...

"

CHAPTER 1

-Last 48 -

 

Ryker System, Avalon Federation Airspace

1800 Hours


Humans are driven by an internal need to push forward; to further advance themselves.


Robert Wellins wasn’t sure what was driving him to keep bending over backwards for this mining job. Well, it was more than a mining job and he was more than a miner. He was the squad leader or Miner Team ‘Digger Beta’. And Digger Beta was the best of the best mining team under Earthbound Mining Company. He had been working for the prestigious Avalon Federation partner for 25 years. Now in his late fifties, Mr. Wellins, or ‘Chief W’ as his colleagues called him, was winding down for retirement.

48. The last 48 hours. He repeatedly reminded himself. After 48 hours, it was goodbye to his old office back on the station, goodbye to clocking in and clocking out, goodbye to the infinite mass that was space, and goodbye to the accursed rocks he’d been mining for more than half of his life.


And hello to sleeping in next to his wife, Nicole, feeding that damn dog he hated/loved so much, and nice quiet evenings in front of the Television.

Now he remembered why he bent over backwards for this job for 25 years.

As his mind reflected on the past, his second in command, Jayden Tyrell entered the cockpit of his starfighter.


Tyrell placed a coffee mug in the vision of his boss who flinched slightly.

“Just making sure you’re still with us, Chief.” Tyell jested as he took a seat next to Robert.


Robert graciously took the coffee and grumbled in response. The sweet brown drink was something else he was thankful for. He prayed to the Mother that this delicious beverage never faded into the cruel clutches of time.


“Only 48 hours left, Chief.” Tyell reminded him.


“Yup…” Robert agreed with a sigh, “Only 48…”


“You sound sad, big guy. It’s me, isn’t it? You gonna miss you’re old second in command.” Tyrell proclaimed.


“Hmph.” Robert grumbled again, his thick black mustache hiding the small smile on his lips. He would miss this jokester. But Jayden had always had a good heart and the future of the company in mind. It was one of the reasons he had picked him to take over when he left. “I’ll miss this heavenly coffee, that’s for sure. You, on the other hand….”


Tyrell faked hurt, “You wound me.” He poised before laughing as Robert smirked.


“We almost got the site wrapped up?” the Chief asked.


“Should be finishing up right now…” Tyrell said as he turned to his computer panel. He pressed a button, holding it in as he spoke into the transmitter, “Dig Team Echo, how we doin’?

The voice of a young male came back only seconds later, “Doin’ good, Digger Beta. Finishing up right now. The cyromyte was a little tougher than we expected, but it’s done. Got that new digging tech in place, too. That ought to make the suits happy.”


Tyrell chuckled, “Alright, pack it and we’ll hit the closest Mass Driver to---“


“Hold on a minute. Digger Beta.” The miner cut him off, “…That’s weird. Scanner’s picking up unidentified starships headed this way…Are you guys getting’ the same?”


Robert’s eyebrow raised and he felt a churn in his stomach. He went over to the receiver, “Hold on, Echo…” Robert nodded to Tyrell who ran a quick scan of the mining site. “Yeah…I see it too. That’s not right. Nobody should be out here. Didn’t we have Federation ships on the outside watching the place?”


In response, Robert switched channels on the transmitter, “Avalon Federation starship, Medusa, this is Digger Beta. How Copy?”


Static was all he received.


Robert ran a hand over his mouth. This didn’t sit right. Not one bit. He had been at this too long. The Federation always provided protection when a new mining site was being set up. They didn’t just disappear into thin air. He switched back to the miner’s channel. “Boys, I’m getting static from the Fed ships. Tell ya what, head on back. Somethin’ ain’t right…If you see anyone, keep your distance until we can identify those ships…”


“Roger that. ETA: 7 minutes.” The miner said back.


“Sir…” Tyrell called.


“What is it, son?”


“Those ships…they’re…surrounding the site and closing in. There’s a few tailing the team!”


Robert rushed back to the transmitter, “Echo! You have a bogey on your tail! Get your asses back here now!”


“We’re trying to lose them! Sir, they’re firing on us!!! Jesus…what the hell is that?! Sir! There’s some type of…Mothership…like a Titan or something…Holy…it’s firing!!!”


“Echo! Echo???!!!” Robert called into the transmitter. Static was all he received back.

“Tyrell, get the Federation on the line! Tell we need assistance immediately!!” Robert said as he rushed to the flying controls, disengaging the autopilot and given the thrusters all they had.


The two miners felt the ship rock violently. The ship’s alarm system started to wail in response. Robert’s teeth gritted as he tried to identify the attack ships via scanner as well as maneuver through the ocean of space rocks.


“Sir, our comms are shot!” Tyrell reported back.


Robert swore at least five curse words as he kept driving, the ship’s fuel depleting quickly. He refused to go out like this. Not when he was this close.


48….48….only 48 to go…


But then everything went dark. The ship stopped instantly. Robert pushed and jerked the controls but there was no response. He slammed his fist down on them and they beeped once in mockery.


“Sir…” Tyrell called to him. “Sir….”


“What?!”


He looked at Tyrell who was frozen in place his eyes glued on the window or rather what was outside the window.


Robert walked beside him and finally saw what had captivated him. A strong green bright light shined, lighting the interior of the ship. It was the last thing they both saw before that same light broke through the front window and out the back of the entire ship.


Robert Wellins did not make his last 48 hours.

--------------------------------------------

2 Days Later…

Avalon Federation Headquarters

Oval Office


“The Federation stands for freedom…” recited the Avalon Federation President, Thomas Logan. Tonight was a special night. The night commemorating the Federation’s Founding Father himself, Janos Stahl. The man had been dead and gone for 10 years now. But not to speak ill of his name; he had pushed the federation forward, strived from perfection, protected the freedoms of the few and many…His accomplishments were infinite. How do you honor a man of such caliber?


But tonight, worrying about honoring Janos Stahl would be the least of his worries.

The door burst open and he turned quickly, “I’ve told Jade that I didn’t want any visitors---Oh. Well…unless it is Jade…” But his smile faded when her expression didn’t reflect his.


“Sir…Something’s happen…”



© 2012 Deadly Iris


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on December 3, 2012
Last Updated on December 3, 2012
Tags: sci-fi, action, adventure, mystery, eden, eve, change


Author

Deadly Iris
Deadly Iris

NC



About
I'm a 19 year old college student with a passion for writing long, ambiguous stories with relatable characters. more..

Writing
1. Prologue 1. Prologue

A Chapter by Deadly Iris