Of Course Not

Of Course Not

A Chapter by Delia

“Oh you poor, poor dear,” A nurse was saying, looking over Mary’s pale body. The sheets on her small white bed were a mess and her body was shiny from cold sweat. Mary’s eyes opened, blinking in the warm sunlight that streamed in through her window.

“There was a thing!” She screamed. Struggling as the nurse tried to calm her down. Next to the nurse was a metal cart, with a few needles, a cup of pills, and some breakfast. Mary kicked it in her struggles, sending it crashing into the white wall.

“I’m sure there was dear. I have no idea how the guards didn’t notice that you were in trouble last night. Why don’t you calm down a bit, and I’ll fetch Doctor Landon for you,” The nurse said kindly, as though talking to a child. Mary’s eyes widened.

“I’m not crazy! I don’t need that crackpot doctor giving me more pills! I’m not crazy! There was a monster here last night!” The nurse smiled in an understanding way and patted her arm.

“Why don’t you have some breakfast, then you can tell Doctor Landon all about last night. I’m sure he will love to hear about it,” The nurse went to the cart, taking the plate of food and a spoon and gave it to the girl. Mary took it. Today, breakfast was eggs, with some cereal and a small carton of orange juice.

“I’ll be back in a little bit. Eat up!” The nurse took her cart, and walked calmly out of Mary’s room, shutting the heavy door behind her.

The nurse walked down the hall of doors, each the same; white, with a number and a small window to look inside. She shook her head. These poor girls, she thought, each one seemed to be more insane than the last. The nurse turned smartly down the hall, and knocked on a wooden door, marked Doctor Landon

“Doctor? It’s Mary, she’s had another night hallucination. It was the monster again,” The doctor, an older man with thinning gray hair and a small beard, looked up from his paperwork with a sad smile.

“Thank you Nurse Jane, I will be in to see her shortly,” The nurse nodded, taking her leave. Doctor Landon sighed, looking back down at his files on the desk. Mary’s was on top.

Mary Pennington.
Age: 23
Sex: F
Description: Unable to realize she is mentally unstable. Still believes monsters come to see her at night. Does not realize she is in the hospital. Her mind is often foggy and she sometimes appears in her own world. Has hallucinations every night-possibly because of her father raping her as a child. Cannot clearly understand what people are telling her. Often looses her rational thinking and relies on primal instinct to get through situations. She does not react well to other people, especially the nurses or doctors. She seems to still be under the impression she is at home with her parents and will ask for them.
Diagnosis: Severe paranoia and most likely schizophrenia with positive symptoms. PTSD and severe depression may also be present due to childhood.


She was getting much better, the doctor thought to himself, grabbing the file and a pen before standing up. He straightened out his jacket, dusted off his pants, and marched out the door, down to Mary’s room.

He unlocked the metal door, letting himself in quietly. Mary has thrown her food across the room. There was a mess on the floor and Doctor Landon made a mental note to send a nurse in to clean it once he was done. Her arms were crossed defiantly and her mouth was set in a frown.

“I’m not crazy!” She screamed, as the doctor sat down.

“Of course you’re not, Mary” The doctor replied patiently, the sad smile back on his face.


© 2010 Delia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i really enjoyed that read....it drew me out of my self and my world and as you dropped the hammer, i was open and completely submerged in the world you had created....it felt as if i could draw from interactions with people i have known, particularly, those who have suffered terrible events in their childhood. i could feel threads of relationship between what i have observed/experienced in trying to provide a stable example of friendship and compassion....at times, the "primal instinct to get through situations" you speak of is a very real phenomenon, even the diagnosis was incredibly personal and eludes to a deep understanding of the emotional challenges trauma presents....and how it all ripples out from there....don't ever stop writing, that's my advice.


Posted 13 Years Ago


A very strong second chapter. The mind can lead us in the wrong directions. I like this chapter. You gave the main character purpose and reason. I like the pace and the ending. I look forward to where you are taking this story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2010
Last Updated on September 20, 2010


Author

Delia
Delia

CT



About
I'm Delia from Connecticut. That's not my real name, just what I like to be called online. I dream of becoming a successful writer and helping children and teens learn to love to read good literat.. more..

Writing
The Dark The Dark

A Chapter by Delia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..