Unpacking

Unpacking

A Chapter by Delilah Plain
"

The second chapter in my book "The People of the Core"

"

When I opened the door, there wasn't anyone there. I looked down and saw a letter. I said goodbye to Juniper and gave her a hug and walking in a random direction reading the letter. The letter was from the queen and it said that I was supposed to meet this other spy from the “other side” at one of the transportation tubes. The transportation tubes were used for getting to the surface when we were allowed to go. They’ve been abandoned for almost 200 years now.

 

When I arrived, I was briefed by two guards dressed in red--one, I could tell served the queen and the other served the king--on where I would be going and what exactly I would be doing up there. The guards told me that I would be going to a public school in a city called Chicago. The guard who served the queen gave me a black bag and they told me it was full of supplies for school. They also told me that I would be staying in an apartment complex called Appleberry Grove, and my room number is 853. What a strange name. What kind of name is Appleberry Grove, anyways?

 

“Where is this other spy I’m supposed to meet?” I asked. I didn’t see him behind either of the guards.

 

“He’s been told to go ahead. You will see him at school.” The one that served the queen told me. I scowled upon hearing this. How dare he. He can't even wait for me? After she paused to think she told me that his name was Lochlan.

 

“How will I know what he looks like?” I don’t know how they expected me to know what he looked like. After all, I’ve never seen him before in my entire life. Which really isn’t long, mind you. I’m almost 17.

 

“You’ll know.” The other guard told me.

 

They, then, told me to stand under one of the tubes so it could take me to the surface. I must say that it was quite a ride. There was a giant blast of what I assumed was air that sucked me through the tube. I’ve never gone so fast in my entire life. I had nothing to hold onto except for my suitcase and my bag of supplies. I might have screamed, I don’t really remember.

 

Next thing I know, I’m on the ground where this bright thing is shining in my eyes. I guess that’s the sun. I hear so many different sounds that I don’t know how to describe. The green ground is soft beneath my fingers. I think the humans call this grass. It’s a beautiful green. I want to lay in it all day. The sun is warm, but intensely bright.


I get up, even though I don’t want to, and I head into town. Apparently, I was in some sort of field. When I entered the town, I was so shocked. Chicago is big. Those guards forgot to mention how big Chicago really was. The air in this city was so thick with some sort of toxin. How could humans breathe this everyday? Good thing we Geoplakes don't need air to live. There really isn't much air at the center of the Earth, so we've adapted to our environment. 

 

I thought I was going to be wandering around all day, until I saw the Appleberry Grove. I was so glad I’d found it. After all, who wants to spend their day wandering around a giant foreign city? Not me, that’s for sure. The problem was, was that I had to cross this thing called a street. There were all kinds of metal monsters going really, really fast. I didn’t know what to do. Finally I just took a deep breath and went across, trying to dodge as many of these metal monsters as possible. Many humans in those metal things called me names that I could only assume to be vulgar.

 

I walked up to one of buildings in the complex and it said 300-400. My room number was 853, so I kept walking. Finally I found my building. Now the challenge was finding my room. The building had five levels. Since my number was 853, I went up to the fifth level. I was hoping I was right. I didn’t want to carry this luggage around all day. I was right and I soon found my room.

 

My room had some weird things in it. There were things I have seen or heard of before like a bed, shower, toilet, sink, table, and couch, but there were things that I either didn’t know what they were or had never heard of them before. I soon learned that I had a television that I could watch human shows on, I had an oven and a microwave that I could cook things in--we always used the fire in the center of our civilization--and a refrigerator where I could put food in to keep cool.

 

After I was done scoping out the place, I unpacked my things. When I finished unpacking, looked out the window. I saw so many of those metal monsters. They were all kinds of different colors, too. Some were white; others were red, black, yellow, green, and blue. I even saw one purple one. I bet Queen Garnet will flip when she hears about all I’ve seen. I stared out the window for the rest of the day, watching those metal things, which I soon learned, were called cars. I learned this the very next day.



© 2012 Delilah Plain


Author's Note

Delilah Plain
Please Review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on June 4, 2012
Last Updated on June 14, 2012


Author

Delilah Plain
Delilah Plain

OH



About
I'm a young writer. I enjoy reading all kinds of books, but I especially like supernatural and paranormal romance books. I'm kind of a gramatical freak. I seriously will correct your grammar. I think .. more..

Writing