Making Friends

Making Friends

A Chapter by Delilah Plain
"

The third chapter in my book "The people of the Core"

"

Lucky for me, the school building was only a few blocks away. I walked to the school building, dodging as many metal monsters as I could. Today apparently was the first day for everyone. When I arrived I went to a room called an office. The office was a small room with three different desks. I went to the desk closest to the door and told the secretary that I was a new student. She seemed quite thrilled to hear this. She gave me my schedule and explained where I needed to be and when. She also explained that my first subject, English, would also be my homeroom. She told me my locker number and combination. After the secretary was finished telling me all I needed to know, I went down to my locker. It took me five times before I could actually open it. Stupid thing.

 

I was almost late by the time I got to homeroom. I sat in the back next to a boy with platinum blonde hair. He had eyes that were so blue; they were comparable to a really hot fire. I was getting ready to lean over to ask him his name, when the teacher went up front and began to speak. I looked around the room while she spoke. Her desk was close to mine. The walls had a bunch of colored squares with words on them.

 

After the teacher welcomed us, she began to say our names to make sure we were all here. I think she called it roll call.

 

“Lochlan Avery” she called.

 

“Here” said the boy next to me with the platinum blonde hair.

 

“Caleb Bell” she called.

 

“Here” said a funny looking boy with brown hair that was just long enough to cover his ears and some kind of metal on his teeth.

 

And so on, the teacher would call out a name and I would analyze the person who’d said “Here”.


“Mariangella Malak” she called. No answer.

 

“Mariangella Malak” She called again. No answer.

 

Finally, Lochlan leaned over and said, “That’s you, dollface.” I must have blushed because he snickered a little bit and I felt my face get hot.

 

“Here” I finally said.

 

“Good” the teacher said and continued with the roll call.

 

After roll call, the teacher told us that since it was the first day, she didn’t have any kind of lesson planned until tomorrow. She told us we could talk to our neighbors for the remainder of the class time.

 

I turned to talk to Lochlan, but he’d gone to talk with some other guys. They looked popular. What a jerk. When I finally give his kind a chance, he's already gone. So it was then that I decided to make some friends of my own. I saw an exceptionally beautiful girl with red curly hair in the corner desk sitting all alone reading a book. I went up to her and sat in the empty desk in front of her.

 

“Hi, my name is Mariangella. What’s your name?” I said as politely as I could when I turned around.

 

“Hi, my name is Aleksandra, but people call me Aleks” She said as she looked up from her book. She had eyes so blue they could easily be mistaken as purple. They were beautiful.

 

When she first saw me, she looked uncomfortable, and then she must have noticed something different about me because she perked right up and started talking so fast I could barely understand her.

 

She talked about the metal monsters she called cars and about all kinds of things that she called electronics. I learned so much from her in that short amount of time.

 

“Hey Aleks, if I ask you the name of something will you tell me?” I asked. I decided I needed someone to tell me what these things were called since I didn’t have a clue.

 

By the time the class ended, I was all caught up with the electronics and slang of this century and the last. I decided this assignment wouldn’t be so bad after all.

 

After English, I went to my locker to get my books. I’ve always been a quick learner, but that lock was out to get me. I was sure of it. Next thing I know, Lochlan is standing beside my locker.

 

“Want some help with that?” He asked politely.

 

“No. I can do this by myself.” I said and continued to fumble with the lock.

 

“Okay, whatever you say, dollface.” He said charmingly--which as much as I hate to admit it, I kind of liked the way he said that--and then got really close to my ear and whispered "I'll be here for you". His breathe tickled my skin. I didn't even know what to do. All the training in my entire life never prepared me for this. Then he walked off with his backpack over his shoulder. He had this “You can’t tame me” attitude that seemed to surround his entire body. I kind of liked that too, but it’s not like I like him or anything…

 

“I’m not a dollface.” I called after him. It was right then that I got my lock open.

 

Lochlan turned around and said, “Whatever you say, dollface.” I rolled my eyes and got my things for my next class, which was History.

 

I walked in the classroom and saw the only other seat open was the one next to Aleks. I happily sat in front of her and looked around the room. Again, this room was filled with colored squares that had words on them. I asked her what these things were called and she told me they were called posters.

 

“Thanks” I said, smiling.

 

“Are you from a different country?” She asked. “Because you have a different accent and you don’t know that names of very many things.”

 

“I guess you could say that” I said after some thought.

 

“That’s okay, though. I don’t care where you’re from. You’re the first person willing to talk to me.” She said happily.

 

“Really? You’re so beautiful. I would have thought many people would be willing to talk to you.” I said completely shocked.

 

“Me? No, I’m not beautiful, but thanks. I’ve never been very popular.” She said with a kind of sad glint in her eyes.

 

“Yes you are. Believe me. I never lie.” I said with a smile. She looked at me and grinned

 

“Thanks. Thanks so much. Do you want to come to my house after school? We can hang out or something.” She said with the biggest beautiful grin I have ever seen.

 

“Sure, as long as you can help me get back to my apartment. I live in the Appleberry Complex.” I said.

 

“No problem. I’ve lived here in Chicago for a while now. I can get you there easily.” She said.

 

“Okay. Cool.” I said, proud of myself that I could properly use modern slang.

 

Then class began. The teacher took roll call again and I saw that Lochlan was in this class too. Was he in every class I had? After the teacher called everyone’s name, he told us that we could talk since he didn’t have a lesson planned. After hearing this, I turned back around and talked to Aleks more.

 

My whole day basically went like this. It seemed like none of the teachers had any kind of lessons planned and just let us sit and talk. I sat with Aleks at lunch and we talked about all sorts of things.

 

After school we went to Aleks house, and that’s when I met her family.



© 2012 Delilah Plain


Author's Note

Delilah Plain
Please Review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ms. Plain, I will review your story. :) Please note that I am not an expert, and I have not read all of your chapters in their entirety. It seems like you have an interesting idea for a story, and I think originality is of great value. I applaud you in this aspect. This could easily be an interesting, successful young adult novel. However, your story so far leaves a lot unexplained. Are these 'core people' not human? If not, then what are they? Why are they in the ground, next to core? Humans have never penetrated the crust, let alone gone anywhere near the core (it’s molten in some parts, you know). You can create whatever kind of world you want, and yet you have not described life near the core in a lot of detail. Consider adding some of that. Please continue writing and developing your skill. You are doing a good job. Please use anything that I have put here as motivation, and not as criticism. Have a nice day.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Added on June 4, 2012
Last Updated on June 8, 2012


Author

Delilah Plain
Delilah Plain

OH



About
I'm a young writer. I enjoy reading all kinds of books, but I especially like supernatural and paranormal romance books. I'm kind of a gramatical freak. I seriously will correct your grammar. I think .. more..

Writing