Chapter 1: The Purple Spot

Chapter 1: The Purple Spot

A Chapter by D. Ackearose

James Sanders


"Are you sure you don't see anything?" 


My sister groans. Actually groans! Was answering questions that much of a pain for kids these days? "For the last time, I don't see anything, James. I have more important things to do."


"Sheesh, you don't have to be so dramatic." Weird, I know I don't hallucinate. At least, I would be pretty sure I'd know if I did… maybe? Oh god, am I going crazy!? Nah, I’m far too cool for that. "But seriously, I can't believe you don't see it."


"Can I enjoy my music in peace now? I don't have anything else to do thanks to mom not letting me bring the laptop." Vicky tapped her phone a bit, probably texting one of her friends. "Maybe you got one of those eye thingies."


"...eye thingies?"


"You know, like when you stare into the sun or a light and it makes your eyes all blurry and stuff."


"Vick… did you seriously call it an eye thingy?" 


She didn't seem to care enough to even look over. "Whatever." Vicky popped her earphone back in. "Tell me when we get to get on the plane."


I gave one last look into the sky. In the clouds above the airport was a patch of purple that seemed to be moving. I wasn't sure how to think of it as anything other than a purple spot.


"Hope we have a safe flight…" I gave a silent prayer to God that everything would be alright. I didn't believe in him, but it never hurt to be safe, right? Lara certainly believed enough for the whole family. "Now what are you listening to, little sis!?"


"Hey- what are- stop!" Vicky tried to fight me as I stole one of the earpods and listened in.


"You can't stop me! I'm literally twice your age, kid! What is this, anyway? Definitely sounds like one of those pop stars that secretly do all the drugs."


"Stop it! Give it back!"


I started singing along to the lyrics as she fought me, which definitely was making us stick out and get stares. "Oh, Vick, there's some pretty bad lyrics in here! Have you no shame? She's talking about dating. Dating! What would mother think!?"


Vicky flailed at me, then started to text something as I sang along to some teen idol. Wait…


"You scamp! That's my phone!"


She started giggling evilly, like some preteen villain. "Better leave me alone before I text Lindsey about your princess showers."


I slowly put down the ear pod I had stolen. "Easy there, Vick. Let's not get crazy, alright?"


She hovered her little finger over what I could only imagine was the 'send' command. "Promise to leave my stuff alone?"


"Yes, yes, of course! My oath to you, great princess." I stood up and gave her a bow. 


She slowly pulled her finger away and put my phone back in my seat, but not before snatching her other ear pod back. "Glad you understand your place."


"Never will I test your mercy again, my lady." Another bow and then I took my seat. Yeah, people were definitely looking at us. But I didn't care.


Vicky looked noticeably more relaxed. I could even see a hint of a smug smile. Which meant my mission was successful for the time being. Things hadn’t been great when she was forced to live with me while Mom and Lara were out on vacation. My apartment was kind of far away and the only place me and my sister occasionally did together was a bit of tabletop role playing games with some of my childhood friends. 


I was able to keep her happy for the most part, but between all the work I had to do and my lack of reliable internet for her to use, the stress had slowly piled up over the last month. Just had to get her back to Mom and Lora now. Then it was back to boring old work for me… 


Looking out of the waiting area window and ignoring a group of girls laughing in my direction, I watched the sky again. The purple spot was still there, moving from cloud to cloud ever so slowly.


I really had a bad feeling about that thing… 


It didn't take long for the attendant to start calling people to board. Vicky and I were among the last to board and soon we were settling in our seats. Me on the window seat, Vicky on the aisle seat, and an older woman sitting in between us because Mom didn't understand how to order plane tickets properly. 


"Now, don't be afraid to ask to switch seats if that's what you like, alright?" The old woman said as I took my seat. “I don’t mind moving around on bit and you don’t have to feel bad for asking to be next to family.”


"Oh, thanks! But I'm going to have to make a human sacrifice of you to my little sister there. She's actually a little monster I just can't get away from and I’m really hoping to survive this trip." I gave her a wide grin as I delivered my line without a second thought. Hopefully not a mistake.


Vicky didn't seem to hear what I said but she definitely heard when the old woman started laughing. Awesome! Someone with a sense of humor. Hard to find in public these days. 


"Oh, I'm a tough one. Had me two little brothers - twins, which means twice the trouble - that tried they best to run me ragged and I'm still kicking."


"Sheesh, and I thought she was bad. I can't even imagine twin monsters coming after me… just thinking about it gives me the shivers. You have my respect for surviving, ma’am."


The woman laughed again. "I remember one time they went and stole all my momma's shoes for not giving them some of the pie we had."


"Wow… sorry, I gotta side with the twins on that one. No pie? That's tyranny! Even worse if it was apple pie. Please don't tell me it was apple pie…"


The old woman - who I learned was named Deloise - and me kept talking for a bit, much to Vicky's annoyance, before the plane finally started moving. 


Pity, too. I was having a nice conversation with Deloise - finally someone on this trip who appreciates my humor! - when the moving plane made me notice it again. 


Deloise noticed my attention turn probably, because she spoke up.


"What's got you so worried?"


I didn't look away from the window. "Guess I need to work on my poker face before I go back to gambling for bottle caps in a dark corner of the grocery store." Wish my heart was more into that joke. I could see the purple spot again, though. "Deloise, you see that?"


She leaned over, squinting at where I pointed out the little window. "Now that's just plain weird… don't suppose they testing some of that new fancy lights now, are they? I hear they got all sorts of new fancy tech out now.”


"I don't know… but I kinda feel like it's a bad thing. Just got a bad feeling, ya know?”


Deloise leaned back into her seat. "A bad thing is my back.” She grunted as she adjusted, probably making a point. “Don't you go worrying about some purple dot in the sky, you hear me? Ain't nothing bad gonna happen to us."


"Yeah, guess your right. I'm sure it's just my crazy imagination. Or Vicky over there messing with my head somehow…"


*****


Of course, we were both wrong. 


On that day, an airplane with one hundred and three passengers and ten crew vanished just after it took off. It was a story that would become famous the world over for years to come, making bigger news than just about any other event in recent history. 


But an airplane simply vanishing, no matter how odd the circumstances, would not have made the news like this. Certainly news had seen stories that were more mysterious or rationalized it as a terrorist attack or some new conspiracy. People were bound to rationalize even a plane vanishing just above the airfield after take off. 


No, it wasn't the airplane vanishing that was the biggest part of the story.


It was the fact that it returned



© 2021 D. Ackearose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The last line REALLY got me hooked, and while I find this story very interesting and greatly written so far, the cherry on top is the dialogue. It feels so realistic and interesting to read. It seems you've given different characters different ways of speaking, and I really enjoyed it. It was a breath of fresh air that I always try to keep in mind and write for my own stories. Great work, keep it up, please!

Posted 3 Years Ago


D. Ackearose

3 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the dialogue and the twists so far. I'll do my best to keep things inte.. read more
The last line REALLY got me hooked, and while I find this story very interesting and greatly written so far, the cherry on top is the dialogue. It feels so realistic and interesting to read. It seems you've given different characters different ways of speaking, and I really enjoyed it. It was a breath of fresh air that I always try to keep in mind and write for my own stories. Great work, keep it up, please!

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2021
Last Updated on March 9, 2021


Author

D. Ackearose
D. Ackearose

That North Part, OH



About
Just trying to write what I can and see if anything sticks. I'm still learning (and honestly will always be) so I'm looking to get better at this craft! more..

Writing
The Giant The Giant

A Chapter by D. Ackearose