Morning's Grim Appeal

Morning's Grim Appeal

A Chapter by D. Nelson
"

the first real sort of chapter, still a bit of an introduction though. enjoy.

"

    Chapter Three: Morning's Grim Appeal

 

    David and Adriana lay together in David’s bed that same morning. Adriana sat atop David, starring down into his brown eyes. She leaned down slowly and kissed him.
    Her lips were sweet and fair.
    Adriana and David had lived next to each other since they were small children. Together, they had seen the world deteriorate around them. And together, they saw their love grow. They were a perfect match for each other, in that, they loved everything about each other, and fought constantly. They always resolved their problems in a healthy manner. No matter how viscuous the fight had been, how horrible the words exchanged were, or the feelings of discontent towards each other that had slowly gathered in both their consciousness. They would invariabley come around to each other and resume their feverish and complex relationship.
    Both David and Adriana’s parents approved of the relationship. This was for several distinct reasons. For one, it kept them occupied in a world where often they were deprived of activities that people their age had previously enjoyed. And also, almost nobody made it very far if they hadn’t married somebody and started a life and started making a relatively sufficient income. It was either that, or get drafted into the citizen work brigades.
    The work brigades were practically slave enterprises. The pay was so incredibly inadequate that it was worth virtually nothing. And the majority of the miniscule pay that was received was spent during the single food break during their 10 hour labor shift, on food that was not provided for free. As a result, workers died during labor on a daily basis. These wretched conditions were a possibility for any civilian who fell bellow income standards.

    “Good morning.” Adriana said, beaming at David.

    “Yeah... Good ” David jumped as the sound of Stanley Thorenson’s HK 416 pierced it’s horrible, hollow and steely shriek across the east side of Los Angeles. David never got used to it, even though the gunshots always increased as the zero tolerance hours drew to a close. He knew it was a sadistic Civil Guard trying to squeeze in a few more kills... or rather murders, into his nightly rampage of cruelty. Despite the fact that they are only required to take shots while on their night patrol, they aren’t prohibited from firing upon violators while the convoys are stationary during the early morning. David hated it.

    Adriana closed her eyes tight. “First day of school...” she said, rolling over and onto the bed next to David. Wrapping her arm around his, she nestled her head against his shoulder.

    “I’m surprised they haven’t f*****g blown it up because learning is a threat to national security,” David spat in an angered voice.

    Adriana started to smile as if to laugh, but quickly recognized his tone as his usually enraged morning tone. It came out whenever he thought of the Guards or the executive orders or anything of the sort. She blinked and licked her lips as if about to speak, but never did.

    “I can’t believe they made the school year longer. If they’re going to operate as a fascist state, is It really too much to ask for some f*****g consistency?” his voice hung heavy with a venomous hiss, “we all know that educated individuals with a clear understanding of the world around them are the exact opposite of what they want. So why in hell are they giving us more f*****g school?” he said, nearly yelling, jerking his arm out of Adriana’s grip and throwing the sheets off of his body. He stood up quickly. “I’ll make some ” another gunshot interrupted him. He shut his eyes and grunted, licking his lips. Rage built in side of him, but he exhaled and released some tensions. He swallowed, “coffee.” 
    As David exited the room, Adriana ran her hands through her long brunette hair. She loved him but whenever the morning started this way, the entire day was ruined. David was changing. She could see that his heart was being filled with hate. Nevertheless, he was still the David she fell in love with.
    Adriana willed herself out of bed and onto her feet. She pulled her jeans up her legs and around her thin waist. Walking over to her drawer, she retrieved a black tank top and slid it over her torso.
    She examined herself in the mirror and sighed.
    Adriana quickly stripped off the clothes she had just put on and walked briskly to the bathroom.
    The sound of her vomiting wasn’t audible in the kitchen over David and his mothers chatter and the running shower next to Adriana. And they would have no suspicion of her problem, she looked perfectly healthy, and acted it as well. It wasn’t exactly a rampant issue. But sometimes she looks in the mirror is not disgusted so much by her appearance, but by the thoughts that arise when she looks at herself. The same thoughts that are evoked by the daily fire of assault rifles as if a horrid punctuation to a grim and sickly sentence, spoken as the last feeble words of wounded world as it’s life draws to a disgusting close.
    Adriana’s torso wrenched and her throat burned, her body arched and vomit shot forward into the toilet bowl. She rested her face on the toilet seat, momentarily. She shut her eyes tight.
    She stood up and strode to the sink. She filled her mouth with cold water and swished it around vigorously to eliminate the taste of puke.
    Adriana stuck her right hand in the already running shower and wafted her hand through the running water, testing the temperature. Once she was sure it was sufficiently hot, she stepped in and felt the slight sting of hot water against her naked skin.

    “Did Adriana stay here last night?” David’s mother, Anna said, gesturing with her head towards the sound of running water. She sipped her coffee and looked across the table at her son.

    “Huh? Oh, uh, yeah,” he replied, still in a slight morning fog, “what the hell is dad doing in the garage?” he said, raising his eyebrow.

    She furled her brow and looked over towards the door, “I think he’s cleaning his AK.”

    “Oh... well tell him he better have it back hidden really f****n’ well, they’re supposed to conduct some searches today or whatever.” David said. He sniffed with his nose coughed a little. “And since when do you need to clean an AK-47?”

    Adriana let the hot water stream down her body and drip off her fingertips, washing the soap away.
    She stepped out of the shower and grabbed a towel, beginning to dry off. David walked into the bathroom as she did so, taking very little notice of her. Without even glancing at her glistening wet, nude body, he turned the shower water back on while the hot water was still on.

    “I still exist right?” Adriana said, in a slight joking tone, but still tinged with seriousness.

    David looked up at her quickly, then slowed, scanning over her body. He felt his heart jump a little. “Yeah... clearly.”
    Adriana slowly closed the door behind her back without looked. She locked the door.
    David bounded across the bathroom at her and took hold of her by the waste, pinning her against the door, kissing her neck vigorously. Adriana fumbled at the switches on the wall, she flicked on the bathrooms fan, attempting to create as much static and continuous noise as possible.
    David lifted her by her legs and sat her on the bathroom counter, she bit her lip and restrained herself from making any noise. Her hands pawed against David’s back.

    David’s mother, Anna, entered the garage curiously. “What the hell are you doing, Daniel?” she said, walking over to David’s father as he locked several AK-47 components into place.
   

    “I’m making sure everything works right.” He replied blankly, without looking up.

    “It’s an AK, you have it because it always works right.” she said, snorting slightly and rolling her eyes at her husband.
   
    Daniel shrugged, “doesn’t hurt.”

    “Yeah I know. Well as long as you get it well hidden again. David says they’re running searches today.” Anna said, taking a heavy swig of her coffee. “Finish that up and come get some coffee," Daniel grunted what could be considered a reply, but it would be a stretch.

    Adriana slowly put her clothes on, her body content with the aftermath of satisfaction, while David finished up his very quick shower.



© 2008 D. Nelson


Author's Note

D. Nelson
tell me what you think...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

a good start to introduce some characters, if you want to maintain the tone of the first 2 chapters carry on the way you are as you bring the story along with references to the previous chapters, but you know that..lol an excellent read, curious to know where this is going.

I know you hate reviews that touch on grammatical errors but i wouldn't be a friend if i didn't mention that several errors here distracted me from the story line so perhaps just a few edits would come in handy. if you don't care i understand. just a thought. otherwise let me know when the next chapter is ready :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great writing Dillon. I am seriously impressed by your talent as I've said before. You certainly have me hooked into the story. I'm moving on to the next chapter..



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a good start to introduce some characters, if you want to maintain the tone of the first 2 chapters carry on the way you are as you bring the story along with references to the previous chapters, but you know that..lol an excellent read, curious to know where this is going.

I know you hate reviews that touch on grammatical errors but i wouldn't be a friend if i didn't mention that several errors here distracted me from the story line so perhaps just a few edits would come in handy. if you don't care i understand. just a thought. otherwise let me know when the next chapter is ready :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 24, 2008
Last Updated on September 24, 2008


Author

D. Nelson
D. Nelson

Monterey County, CA



About
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lyrics from "Waiting for my Ruca" AKA "Romon.. more..

Writing
Ether Ether

A Poem by D. Nelson


Symphony Symphony

A Poem by D. Nelson