We're Tired Of It Too - Bullying and Homosexuality

We're Tired Of It Too - Bullying and Homosexuality

A Chapter by Miss Evans
"

Originally posted on a school forum. Co-written by a classmate of mine, Marie. Expressing general angst for the ignorant opinion that homosexuals are the only bullied people.

"
The narrow-mindedness of TBT is frightening. Yes, we understand that there are homosexual people, and yes, we understand that they are bullied and discriminated against, but for the love of common sense, would you stop making threads about it? We do not need x to the power of eternity threads all about the same redundant subject.
 
It wouldn’t be so bad if the threads were not so uniformly narrow-minded, and otherwise uneducated; it seems the majority of TBT users are under the impression that people are only bullied because of their sexual orientation, when nothing could be farther from the truth. For the most part, people are bullied because of how they act or look, not because of how they are. And if you really think that making a thread that’s the furthest thing from unique is going to do anything, you need a serious reality check.
 
People are naturally judgmental; that doesn’t make it right, but it is a simple fact of life. People have egos, and opinions, and those things can get in the way of thinking logically at times; that doesn’t mean that we should reward stupidity with more stupidity. It just becomes stupidity squared. Two wrongs don’t make a right (but three rights make a left).
 
Now, this post is not a “WE HATE HOMOSEXUALS” post, nor is it a post inferring that you should not hold, or share, your opinion on matters. The way that you do this, though, is entirely crucial to the success of your point being made, or taken seriously. Whining about how unfair it is that your parents can’t know about your girlfriend because you’re a homosexual Christian isn’t going to do anything but make people go ‘Well that’s stupid’ and walk away.
 
Reality is a cruel, cruel mistress. Get used to it, because out in the real world, nobody cares that you made a thread to support something, or reblogged something, or whatever else it is you do that actually has no impact whatsoever. Out in the real world, things get done by people taking action--contrary to what you seem to believe, making some silly little discussion thread is not taking action.
 
If you really want something to be done, you should consider putting out some actual effort-- Selfless, volunteering, non-paid, hard-working effort. The fact of the matter is, complaining doesn’t get anything done; blood, sweat, and tears does. There are a million things that can be done by people of any age, to change the world that we live in; and those of you who would like to see a change should actually put in some hours trying to get that change made. There are no excuses for not doing your part in a matter.
 
Chances are none of you will actually read this. That’s fine. It doesn’t make the message any less important. See, we know you won’t read it, because most of you barely have the attention span to read a post longer than three sentences. And because none of you actually read these intelligent posts, you all sound laughably stupid when you reply, because you say things or reference things that were never in the original post.
 
Sadly, this is the plight of the world. The majority of people are blinded by what ‘the man’ has said, which is generally just the media pushing inane ideas that everyone drinks up like liquid gold. You’re all just drinking the Kool-Aid the majority has made for you. You’re lemmings. Followers. If your ‘leader’ took a swan dive off a cliff, you’d follow suit without even reconsidering your possibilities. C’est la vie; such is life.
 
This is not to say that you’re the only ones who are poisoned by the ivy vines that encase society; everyone is poisoned to a point. Some of us have just taken the time, or have been blessed with parents who take the time to research things that are not ‘normal’, and to explore the idea that maybe everything we’re told isn’t the end all be all of our lives. Seriously, would you want someone you don’t know coming in your house and telling you how to cook your chicken? I doubt it, unless you can’t cook, so why would you let someone you don’t know rule your thoughts through a television set? This isn’t the fifties, you know.
 
Despite what you all may think, you can’t be allergic to having a separate opinion. If you have a different take on something, don’t be afraid to say it. It keeps life interesting and makes wading through the multitude of posts less of a bore. Not to mention that the majority of these ‘advocation’ posts are advocating the acceptance of differences, and the irony abounds through the simple contradiction of such repetitive messages; it’s quite hilarious to those of us who aren’t wearing the rose-colored straws on our eyes.
 
Every post that is made inferring that homosexuals and bisexuals are the only ones that are bullied is another reminder that society has failed us the knowledge of the true meaning of words. It’s almost as bad as ‘swag’ being used as an adjective; no matter what society accepts it as, swag will always be a curtain. Actually, if you ever witness bullying of any kind, PUT A STOP TO IT. Don’t just come on TBT and whine about it. MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH YOUR ACTIONS.
 
You don’t have to go start a riot (your mother would probably not approve) to help make a difference. You can do something as simple as making sure you don’t bully. If everyone did that, well, there wouldn’t be a need for any of these posts at all. Start an Anti-Bullying effort in your community, advise your friends not to pick on Sue Snue next time they see her, befriend a bullied child and stand up for them-- Just do something more than jotting down your general heartache on a school forum such as TBT.
 
As the great Elvis Presley once sang, “A little less conversation, a little more action.”
 
People cannot see words, unless they are being typed of course, so making a billion posts saying how horribly homosexuals are treated, is really a futile effort that is going nowhere fast. For one, homosexuals are not the only people who get bullied; and two, bullying is bad period. By only acknowledging one facet of bullying, you are accepting the rest--silence is often mistaken for permission (go ask your mom).
 
“The homosexuals are being bullied!” Oh yeah? So are:
 
obese kids
foster kids
adopted kids
foreign kids
mixed ethnicity kids
short kids
tall kids
kids of a different religion
underweight kids
emo kids
nerdy kids
mentally handicapped kids
talented kids
non-talented kids
me
you
 
See? There are far more people being bullied and harassed than anyone ever cares about. If you’re going to call for no more bullying of homosexuals, remember every other type of person who’s also being hurt. Don’t pick and choose who you try to help. Heroes are not partial to sexual orientation. Has Superman ever flown down from Krypton just because someone who was homosexual was getting harassed? No, and there is a reason for that-- All bullying is equal. No form is more hideous than any other. Unless it is the bullying of kittens, that is especially heinous.
 
Stop belly-aching over something you’re not really helping at all. Go to Home Depot, buy some wood and nails, build a bridge, and get over it. Then cry me a river so I can bathe in the tears of the oppressed. It’s good for the skin. Go ask your mom.
 
And before you reply to this, saying how we’re being hypocrites, and how this post made no sense-- Think about it, really. Ignore the fact that you know the name of the person who posted this, and just think about it. Is it really so horrible to just admit that maybe whining about the same thing every two seconds isn’t the best solution to something? Is it really so terribly logical that you cannot accept words of truth, just because so-and-so said them? If so, that’s petty and stupid.
 
Grow up and accept that maybe following the herd isn’t the best thing for your proverbial elephant to do. That’s all we ask.
 
Sincerely,
The Girls Noticeably Lacking Dragon Tattoos


© 2012 Miss Evans


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
Added on March 25, 2012
Last Updated on March 25, 2012
Tags: Bullying, Homosexuality, Letter, Co-Written