Steal Me Away

Steal Me Away

A Story by Miss Evans
"

An old story I just dug up, taunting romance and the teenage mind at its worst.

"

It was warm in my bed, the rain was pattering against the window like it usually does. I couldn't sleep. I glanced at my clock, which was at least twenty feet away from the bottom of my bed, over on that dresser. I squinted and tried to see where the hands were but to no avail. I didn't feel like getting up to go look at it, chances were it was still the wee hours of the morning. The alarm was set to go off at six, I don't know why I even bother with the alarm. I'm always awake around that time, or just falling asleep. And I never feel like getting out of bed to go shut it off, but I do anyway, and then I go back to bed till eight. Its pretty reverse, but one day I'll probably stay up.

 

I sat up and yawned, I might as well get up and do something. I stretched lightly and stood on the floor, it wasn't carpet like I was used to, it was a stony tile. I looked down with my eyebrow raised, I wasn't used to stone tiles. They were cold .and hard. But what else was stone supposed to be? Not in my house. Especially not in my bedroom. I brushed it off and walked over to my clock, I hit the off button so it wouldn't have to waste its time ringing when I was out doing whatever I was going to do. I looked at myself in my mirror. Weird. I looked different. What was different though? Maybe the light. The only light was the scarce sprinkling of porch lights that lined the houses on our street, and then the moon was shining in the window above my bed. I was taller, I think. And I was shaped different too, like one of those fun house mirrors, everything was slightly distorted.

 

I frowned at myself, something was not right and I couldn't tell what it was. I heard music, it was faint and soft, but I could hear it. I sighed and grabbed my towel off of the door, I guess I could shower and go out for a walk. I walked into the bathroom and shut the door. The music was louder now. It sounded like Norah Jones' song, that one that I used to sing when it came on the radio. I smiled at myself in the mirror, this one didn't look distorted. I eyed myself, watching for inconsistencies. I didn't see anything wrong now. I looked like me. Only less like me because I'd never seen myself at this time of day, I looked worn out. I ran my hands through my hair and pulled it back into a messy bun. There were loose strands here and there, but it didn't matter as long as the majority of it stayed dry. I pulled the handle of the shower before I got in, I let it run and run and run, but it wouldn't get warm. I gave up and just got in, cold showers were refreshing most of the time. But the water was like ice, even colder than ice maybe. I couldn't stay in that kind of water that long, if I didn't know any better, I'd say my toes actually turned blue for a second. I let the water run over my body, I guess I got used to it because it actually felt warm now. I let it fall over my face, I was awake now.

 

I shut the shower off and got out. The bathroom was different. It was much bigger than it had been two minutes ago. I tilted my head and started at the farthest wall. It looked, yellow. I stared at it longer, and the longer I did, the more yellow it looked. I figured the lights were messing with my eyes, so I let it go and went back into my room. The music was playing as if it were on a stereo not five feet away from me, I could help but hum along to it. It sounded like music does in movies, when its sort of distorted, like they blurred it with magic music-blurring wands. I chuckled at myself, the outfit I'd put on was more of a costume than not. Multi-colored striped socks, black basketball shorts, and some sort of randomly colored midriff cotton t-shirt. It looked sort of tacky from the waist up. So I found a tank top, a plain white one. I still didn't know what I planned on doing, it wasn't even five yet. I looked at myself in my mirror, not all that bad. But still, the socks were odd. I changed them into my usual ankle socks, although they had different patterns and colors and no two were alike.

 

I let my hair down again, shook it out and ran my hair through it a few times. Then I pulled it back into a ponytail again. I walked out of my bedroom and to the front of the house. I was confused now because I wasn't in my house. It was a different house. A really big, fancy house. The floor I was on was a beautiful marble that had fudge-colored swirls running through it like rivers of chocolate. I looked down at my feet, I hadn't remembered to put on shoes, but there they were on my feet. I raised my eyebrow, things were odd. Maybe I was just having a bad morning, still half asleep. I walked out of the front door, surprisingly enough the street still looked the same. I started down in the direction of Whitner, rather than Meridino. So that was to my right, yet it looked like if I had turned to my left. I just walked, the street seemed so long.

I felt the rain starting again, I don't know when it'd stopped though. I glanced around after awhile, I had reached the corner but nothing looked like it should have. Behind me, there was a city. Full of skyscrapers and lights and ornately designed buildings. Nothing like the street it had been a few minutes before. I looked to my left, there was a smaller town, with little houses that had red roofs and candles in the windows. Every few houses there was a taller building with a brick pattern on it, I assumed those were stores of sorts. To my right there was a dark, spooky area. It had an odd mist over it, something that looked like it would've been in a movie. And directly in front of me, there were trees. Nothing but trees. I didn't know which way I wanted to go. Everything was unfamiliar, and even the beautiful city was frightening to consider walking into.

 

I heard footsteps behind me then, the direction of the city. I was terrified of what I'd find if I turned around, I don't know why but there was a hampering feeling in my stomach. I sucked it up and turned around, immediately I had a warm feeling in my stomach. Comfort. I was expecting a stalking figure, someone looming over me with a knife or gun in their hand. But instead there was a smile. I smile that belonged to a warm looking man that just stood there, his pearly white teeth fixed in a smile. I stared at him, and he stared back at me. I wasn't sure how to greet him. I couldn't see much but the whites of his eyes and his teeth. The light from the moon faintly reflected off of his head, so it must have been a very short haircut. I wondered what he looked like, and before I knew it I was walking closer to him.

 

I felt that girlish sensation in my abdomen now, a warm bubbly feeling. He pulled me into his arms, and I didn't know what to do. It was still raining, I could only feel a few scattered drops of the water on my shoulders though, the rest were blocked by the man who hugged me now. I didn't do anything now, I just stood there. In the rain. With the stranger who hugged me now. I heard the music again. He moved, and I moved. I backed away from him, and he came closer to me. He still smiled. But now it was calmer, just a faint break in the colorless figure in front of me. Then he moved into the light. And I saw his face. And it was not what I had expected. Maybe I'd said something that only he could hear, but he grinned now. That boyish face grinned at me. I still backed away. And yet, I wasn't afraid. I backed through the street, into the forested area that I'd seen before. I could feel the smile that played on my face.

 

I turned and I ran. I don't know where I was headed, I just ran. I could feel him behind me, I could hear his feet crunching against the crisp leaves beneath us. I stopped behind a tree. A big one. It was enough to hide me from him for now. I laughed, I was playing with a man I'd never met. Someone who only smiled and said nothing. Someone who hugged me when there was no call for it, maybe, someone I was meat to be with. Meant to follow. All that mattered now was what I was to do next. My body was moving without my telling it to. It did as it wished. So I waited for my body to move itself, it knew what it was to do.

 

I smiled as I took off my shoes and socks, digging my toes into the dry leaves that covered the damp dirt. It smelled nice here. I could hear him coming closer. I still hear the music. But it seemed more lively. I walked a little bit ahead of myself, listening to the music. I started jogging, and then running. Faster and faster, driven by the music. I was not controlling myself, I let go. I just moved, my body moved rather, and kept moving. I could sense no sign of drowsiness as I ran, I felt free. My mind was racing just as fast as my feet were pacing against the ground. I felt him behind me, he brushed against me every few moments. And then he grabbed me. I let out an exasperated sigh, I giggled as he pulled me to him, picking me up off of the ground. He was wet now, I moved my head forward to keep it from touching the wet of his shirt.

 

"You're shivering." He said, his voice was deep and relaxed. He set me down and ran his hands over my arms. I felt childish now, I stepped away from him. I couldn't bear feeling him against me like that. My body couldn't bear it. He frowned at me, I couldn't expect him to understand my actions when I didn't entirely understand them myself. I couldn't help but smile at him, his warm face. He folded his arms and looked at me, sort of like he was expecting me to do something. I tiled my head and looked back at him. I wasn't sure what was going to happen. He pulled me by my hand and we ran, he pulled me through the trees and shrubbery and vines.

We were both laughing, and I was happy. We walked onto a stone path, and followed it to its end- A beautiful little house in the middle of the trees. It looked so simple, just a roof and four walls. Decorated by the flowered vines that wrapped around it. He pushed the door open and we went in. We sat down on a couch that I'm not sure was there when we walked in. Nothing made sense now, but it was okay. He moved his arm around me, and I laid on his shoulder. I noticed the fire in front of us, it was brazenly brushing against the edge of the mantle around it. Its flames flowed around the body of the logs freely.

 

He pulled me close to his chest, I could feel his heart beating against my ear. He wrapped his arms tighter around me, I felt his lips graze against my ear. I was startled but I didn't move. I just let him breathe into my ear. The music was even louder now, yet it was still soft and soothing. I pulled away from him enough to let my face see his. His eyes were warm, not really any one color. Whatever I wanted them to be. He was whatever I wanted him to be. I didn't know what was happening but his lips moved closer to mine.

 

"I'll miss you." He said. His ominous voice whispered the words and they climbed into my ear, quietly tiptoeing to my brain. The breath he exhaled as he said it hit my ear, it tickled. I smiled at him, his eyes danced. I opened my mouth, but he pulled me out of my seat before I could say anything. And then I heard a ringing. A loud, obnoxious, abrupt, ringing. He pulled me away from our seat and out of the door, he stood with me in front of the house where it was again raining. But the scenery was different, it was my room now. He wrapped his arms around me again, I felt his lips brush mine. Not even for a whole second did his touch mine, but that half of a fraction of a moment was perfect.

 

The last thing I saw was his smile. That warm, greeting, perfect smile. 


And then I opened my eyes. 


It had only been a dream.

© 2012 Miss Evans


Author's Note

Miss Evans
I know it has a lot of errors... I imagine I was only twelve or so when I wrote this, I feel sort of silly about it now. Critiques are welcome. I may turn it into an actual story, possibly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great stuff. I love the way you describe the interactions between the narrator and the guy. I encourage you to turn it into a story - there are several different possibilities I imagined while reading through this. I look forward to reading more chapters, if you choose to develop it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great stuff. I love the way you describe the interactions between the narrator and the guy. I encourage you to turn it into a story - there are several different possibilities I imagined while reading through this. I look forward to reading more chapters, if you choose to develop it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah.....love. XD

Personally I find stories revolving around romance very cliche-ey. But since you were twelve, we've all been in that state and I completely understand. o3o

It is still a great write, and looking upon this writing and dubbing it "sort of silly" shows that you've improved and got better at writing. Kind of like looking through a time machine to the past. :3

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 30, 2012
Last Updated on March 30, 2012
Tags: Romance, Dreams, Playful, Fiction