Free

Free

A Chapter by Max

Is this truly what you want? You used to want change. I remember a time when you hoped for a brighter future. Yet every step we take into this project only pulls us further into the darkness. Please consider the ramifications. There is no reason to be so heartless. There must be other options.

He typed in yet another guess.

PORTAL

INCORRECT PASSWORD

Frustrated, he sat down in a nearby chair.

***

Two hours ago he sat down in a folding chair at his graduation.

He listened calmly to the speeches given by various authority figures in the school. He noted that the principle was not in attendance.

“Odd,” he thought suspiciously.

He stood up to give his speech as valedictorian. He proudly addressed his classmates, speaking with confidence and passion. When he was done, the small gymnasium erupted in applause. Then, one by one the students approached the stage to accept their diplomas. He accepted his first and returned to his seat, thinking about the four long years he spent working toward it. Patiently he waited for the rest of his class to receive their diplomas.

As the last student sat down, he again approached the microphone.

“Congratulations, Class of 2010!” he said jubilantly, a cheesy smile plastered across his face.

As the caps began flying into the air and all the seniors went to find their friends, he quickly removed his cap and gown. He jumped off the stage and approached his best friend. They had met in the sixth grade during gym. He remembered playing basketball and seeing the new kid join his team. He had introduced himself and they had been nearly inseparable ever since.

“All a lie,” he thought to himself.

“Hey,” he said as he tapped his friend on the shoulder, “Congratulations.”

He punched him in the face.

If you had any common sense at all you would see that this is the only option. I am still pushing for the same brighter future I promised at the beginning of my term, and the creation of the AHB has only helped in the struggle. I suggest, once again, that you follow the their orders. They remain unchanged from the last message that was sent to you. This is your last warning.

He began to panic now. The guard he had knocked out earlier was now furiously pounding at the door. He could hear him growling at his radio for backup. He knew the radio didn’t work, but he knew there would be others here shortly either way. He needed to think faster.

POWER

INCORRECT PASSWORD

He was completely out of ideas.

The guard was pulling at the door furiously.

***

One hour ago the guard was pulling him down the hallway. The whole room had erupted after his friend hit the floor, and the guard had come to escort him out of the room. He was put in handcuffs and was being walked out of a short hallway connected to the gym.

They turned the first corner. He opened a portal beneath the guard’s feet and dropped him from the ceiling. As the guard fell he opened a small portal behind himself and reached his cuffed hands through. He caught the falling officer by the collar about halfway to the ground.

In a calm voice he politely asked, “Could you please tell me the easiest way out of here?”

“What are you talking about?” he said in a raspy voice. The guard was clawing at his hands, obviously having some difficulty breathing.

He dropped him and closed the portal. He opened one in the ground again and let him fall through the ceiling once more. This time he didn’t catch him, and he continued to fall infinitely through the two portals. Once he gained some speed he caught him again, hands still cuffed behind his back.

“You know, based on the number of times you fell through those portals,” he said in the same calm voice, “I’d say that was about a five story drop. It’s pretty hard to catch someone falling that fast.”

“Why- “ he barely gasped out.

“How do I get out of here?”

The guard began to stammer something out. His speech was impossible to understand.

“What in the world?”

It was a new voice. He turned his head to see another officer, terror spreading across his face. He drew a stun-gun as the first officer dropped to the floor. He fired and instantly felt the electricity course through his own body. He fell into a crumpled twitching heap as the portal behind him closed.

While the first officer was still trying to regain composure, he quietly walked over to the writhing man on the floor. Using portals he awkwardly rummaged through the guard’s pockets, searching for a key. Once he found it he used portals again to position his hand above his wrists. He felt around for the lock and slid the key in.

With his hands free he pulled the knife from its sheath on his ankle. He swiftly picked up the officer from the ground and slammed him against a wall, the knife poised against his neck.

“Your friend over there,” he motioned toward the first officer, who was finally beginning to get a hold of himself, “wasn’t very helpful. Maybe you can tell me the easiest way out of here?”

“I-“

“Yes you do know what I’m talking about.” He tightened his grip on the knife. The officer cringed.

“Th-the principal,” he stuttered. “He controls e… e-e-e.”

“Close enough,” he said impatiently. He slammed his head against the wall.

He bent down and removed the batteries from the radio attached to the officer’s belt. He stood up and was met with the barrel of a gun. The first officer had it positioned at his head.

“Don’t move.”

“You know, the last guy I met tried that with a stun gun, and-“

“Shut up. Don’t move.”

He sighed. He moved his hand toward the officer’s wrist.

The gun fired.

I know what the AHB wants from me, and I know what their plan is. I thought you could help me, but I can see now that you are no better than them. They are messing with the balance of nature in the hopes of winning a war we already cannot fight. I no longer believe I am fighting for the right side, and I refuse to continue.

He felt his stomach drop as the screen flashed again.

INCORRECT PASSWORD

With multiple guards now pounding at the door, he knew the desks holding it shut wouldn’t last much longer. Suddenly it hit him. He typed his final guess.

This will be my final message. Good luck.

PR438

Sincerely,

Overseer of AHB Project 438

PASSWORD VARIFIED

AKA Project Portal

He pulled on the door. Its large metallic hinges squealed as it opened. He took one step forward.

***

30 minutes ago he took two steps forward.

“S-stop.”

The voice came from the officer on the ground. He was hunched over in agony, clutching his foot where the bullet had pierced it.

He stopped walking and turned around.

“Yes?”

The man shakily held up a plastic card.

“You’ll need this. Please, just don’t hurt anyone else.”

He took it, thanked him, and began running down the hall.

I don’t know what you think you’re doing, but please think it through first.

15 minutes ago he was racing down the hallway, approaching the principal’s office.

We can get through this.

10 minutes ago he had found the secret room in the main office, and sealed off its entrance with several desks.

We must get through this.

8 minutes ago he swiped the keycard he had been given and began taking guesses at the password.

For the future of the country.

1 minute ago he had correctly guessed the password.

For the future of humanity itself.

Now he stood outside. Free. For the first time, who he truly was: Peter R. Forthraite.

Sincerely,

President of the United States



© 2009 Max


Author's Note

Max
The main thing I'm worried about is that I don't reveal his name until the end for a reason, so I think the action scene gets a little mixed up in all the "he" 's. If it is confusing, please tell me and I'll fix it up in the next draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the style of your writing. The flashbacks to 1 hour ago or 2 hours ago seem really cinematic to me, and it's fun to imagine it in my head like a movie. The he's did get confusing, but now that he has a name it shouldn't get in the way again. As for a way to fix it in this chapter, maybe just refering to all of the officers or other people by names or other identifying properties could help. I'm not saying you have to, it is your story after all, and it should be fine the way it is too. Can't wait to see the next chapter!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 10, 2009


Author

Max
Max

TX



About
I'm kinda new to writing, but I had this idea for a character one day that's been slowly turning into a massive book idea that I finally just had to start writing. So pretty much I'm joining to see if.. more..

Writing
The Initiate The Initiate

A Story by Max


Fired Fired

A Story by Max


The Tower The Tower

A Story by Max