Technique (1) Chapter length. (opinion).

Technique (1) Chapter length. (opinion).

A Chapter by Meat of Dog
"

How long should a chapter be?

"

T. 1. Chapter length (opinion).

How long should a book chapter be? This is a very subjective question with many different answers depending on your personal style. Though from reading and writing for a while now I’ve picked up some helpful tips and tricks. Back in the day I used to write VERY long chapters. I’m talking 60+ pages! Many people asked me to shorten them. They said that people don’t like to stop in the middle of a chapter while reading, but no one can (usually) knock out 60 pages in one sitting! On the flip side, I also think chapters that are too short are just as bad because they can be confusing and leave out vital information. So, how do you know how long is too long or not long enough?

When I write a chapter I try to be sure it has a beginning, middle, and end like the episode of a show or cartoon. That way the reader feels fulfilled when they get the next chapter like they’ve been on a small journey with the characters. Also this creates a cycle that keeps them reading. Why do you keep watching a show on TV? How do you feel when you see a new episode from beginning to end? On that same note a chapter needs to have some sort of cliff hanger at the end. When I say it should have an end I don’t mean a definite end, rather a good (though suspenseful) stopping point. This requires careful attention to be sure your chapter isn’t hideously long.

Based on this logic, your chapter can be as short or long as required. So, in reality, the length of the chapter is not as important as the content. Length comes as a second hand factor. Go for quality not quantity (or speed). I did a little research and an article by Writer’s Digest on the subject had almost the exact same things to say. Your opening chapter is the most important chapter. It should drop RIGHT into the action, BOOM. Raise questions and throw in the plot or action. This way the reader gets immediately excited and wants to know what the hell is going on. You can do this with literally every chapter in the book if you want to. I also found a great resource on the subject here, an article from TerribleMinds: (http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2012/05/29/25-things-to-know-about-writing-the-first-chapter/).

I’ll summarize the basic points real quick for those who don’t want to click the link and navigate off this page:

1.      The first chapter is your hook. Bait it.

2.      Drop into the action.

3.      If the reader reads they will keep reading. If you get them to the second chapter, odds are they’ll keep going.

4.      Make us care about your characters. If we don’t care about them then we don’t care to read about them. Entertain us. That’s your job (if you are trying to get other people to read a piece of writing). Make them interesting and relatable.

5.      Conflict is SO IMPORTANT. One more time: SO IMPORTANT. The conflict makes the story. If there isn’t one readers get bored really fast.

That’s the basics. The article goes over much, much more. I encourage you to read it. I actually picked up a few things from it that will help me in the future. 



© 2015 Meat of Dog


Author's Note

Meat of Dog
I'll be posting a chapter here once a week, so check back for more!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was concise and helpful to me. thank you for these indispensable tips.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Some great advice here and very helpful.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meat of Dog

8 Years Ago

Thank you!
This was so helpful, organization is key and doesn't make you any less creative...it makes you less scared brained.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meat of Dog

8 Years Ago

I agree completely.
Very good
good
very
good


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

Hey, thanks :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2015
Last Updated on February 10, 2015


Author

Meat of Dog
Meat of Dog

Lynnwood, WA



About
"There wasn't time for distractions. Writing out of his old, cigarette burned T-shirt Kurt washed his face and hair in the sink for haste. A quantity of accumulated dirt and filth swirled a few ti.. more..

Writing
2. Dust 2. Dust

A Chapter by Meat of Dog