Grammar (1) Commas. (American English).

Grammar (1) Commas. (American English).

A Chapter by Meat of Dog
"

Proper use of commas.

"

                G. 1. Proper use of commas.

   I often see commas used willy-nilly or whenever a break is wanted in a sentence, but there is actually a method to this madness. There are seven words you should always use a comma before when combining two stand alone sentences. These include ‘and’, ‘but’, ‘or’, ‘nor’, ‘for’, ‘so’, and ‘yet’. This is because you are connecting two independent clauses. An independent clause is a section of a sentence which can stand by itself. In order for two independent clauses to be connected together the adding of a coordinating conjunction is needed. Otherwise, the combination is grammatically incorrect. When the independent clause is missing a subject it is no longer a clause, and it cannot stand alone as a sentence.

Example 1:

Independent clause - 1. “I tripped over my own feet.” 2. “I fell on my face.”

‘Sentence’ without a subject �" 1. “Fell on my face.” 2. “Tripping over my own feet.” (See, that’s not a sentence at all!)

Two independent clauses connected with a comma and coordinating conjunction �" “I tripped over my own feet, and I fell on my face.” In this sentence ‘and’ is the coordinating conjunction. When you take ‘I’ away from ‘fell on my face’ a comma is no longer needed because the second part is no longer a clause. “I tripped over my own feet and fell on my face.” OR, you can say “I fell on my face after tripping over my own feet.”

An appositive is a phrase that gives more information, and it too has a requirement when it comes to commas. It can be used both at the end of a sentence and in the middle. If in the middle two commas are required. If at the end one comma is required.

***THIS IS HARD. I wrote out this chapter and then confused myself about twelve times trying to edit it. I settled on following this rule: Two sentences = 1 comma/ No sentence = no comma.***

Example 2:

An appositive for ‘dog’ �" ‘a burly pit bull’.

Used in the middle of a sentence �" “The dog, a burly pit bull, panted merrily.”

Used at the end of a sentence �" “Panting merrily was a dog, a burly pit bull.”

A comma is also required when you start your sentence out with a verb that introduces it. This is commonly used, and I personally enjoy starting sentences this way. What do I mean? Well, starting sentences in different ways freshens up a piece and makes it easier to read. If every sentence starts the same way, it becomes laborious and repetitive.

Example 3:

Verb �" Finally, eventually, lastly, suddenly…

Sentence �" “I took the safety off my gun and aimed for his head.”

Sentence beginning with an introductory verb: 1. “Suddenly, I took the safety off my gun and aimed for his head.” 2. “Eventually, I took the safety off my gun and aimed for his head.” 3. “Reluctantly, I took the safety off my gun and aimed for his head.”

Introductory verbs describe how the later mentioned thing is being done. Is he reluctantly taking the safety off? Is he excitedly taking the safety off? When you use a noun and describe it with two adjectives a comma is needed between them. A comma, however, is not needed if you have an adjective and a noun acting as an adjective.

Example 4:

Noun �" guy.

Adjectives �" 1. Fierce 2. Scary

Comma connecting these adjectives in a sentence �" “The fierce, scary man came at me with his hatchet.”

Noun acting as an adjective �" Winter cold.

Comma not needed for a noun acting as an adjective �" “She shivered against the chilling winter cold.” A comma would be needed if the sentence was instead: “She shivered against the sharp, chilling winter cold.”

When you use a negation in a sentence, this also requires a comma.

Example 5:

Negation (at the end of sentence) �" “Not a coward.”

Sentence �" “He was a bold fighter, not a coward.”

Negation (in the middle of a sentence) �" “Not a coward.”

Sentence �" “He was bold, not a coward, and a fierce fighter.” This follows the same rule that one comma is required at the end and two commas if used in the middle.



© 2015 Meat of Dog


Author's Note

Meat of Dog
I'll be posting a chapter here once a week, so check back for more!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wait on New York Minute!

Are you saying we also must be sober while writing, reviewing, commenting and spelling? Damn it, I knew I should have went to college.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

Haha I laughed so hard that I read your comment out loud to my brother. You're awesome.
Great resource, thank you for taking the time to post this for us.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

Of course! I love being involved in the community here :)
Calamity

9 Years Ago

Good to see you're adding value. :)
Very useful, I will refer to.

Did you point out on this international stage that the internet is made up of English speakers from all across the world? I did not read all of it just now. British English is different in the treatment of punctuation regarding the use of 'and'.

A Britisher would write:

There were pots, pans and assorted clutter. An America would write as you have explained:

There were pots, pans, and assorted clutter.

“He was bold, not a coward, and a fierce fighter.” Because thee is a comparison in the sentence, a dichotomy I think and is not suitable in this sentence, I feel 'but' should be used:

'He was bold, not a coward, but a fierce fighter.' This brings attention to the dichotomy. Withut the comma in your original sentence it would suggest:
He was bold
He was not a coward
and he was a fierce fighter

Confusing maybe.

Example:

Allies push bottles up the Germans.
or
Allies push, bottle up the Germans

Thanks very much, you put some time into this and I sure it will be appreciated on the site.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

I'll have to specify in the title. I'm from the States, so I'm not particularly versed in other gram.. read more
Frank

9 Years Ago

You done good :)
Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

Thank you ;}
Glad to see you've posted this. I'll be looking for more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my whole life ever.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ariana Omnomnom

9 Years Ago

I have a weird analness about grammar.
Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

Me too. It was basic knowledge when I was in school. I lived with a bunch of teens and young adults .. read more
Ariana Omnomnom

9 Years Ago

For me too. I always feel like I have dishonored myself if I accidentally make a typo or use the wro.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

541 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on January 29, 2015
Last Updated on February 2, 2015


Author

Meat of Dog
Meat of Dog

Lynnwood, WA



About
"There wasn't time for distractions. Writing out of his old, cigarette burned T-shirt Kurt washed his face and hair in the sink for haste. A quantity of accumulated dirt and filth swirled a few ti.. more..

Writing
2. Dust 2. Dust

A Chapter by Meat of Dog



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Darling Darling

A Poem by MOON