Why Children Stare

Why Children Stare

A Story by Domenic Luciani

Ron’s day started off with a war and a meteor shower. His adventures were always a grand tale, but Ron found this one to be particularly exciting. He escaped from the top of a New York City skyscraper by holding onto a cloud fluttering down like a piece of paper. But the meteors ripped through the cloud and Ron was falling"falling through the night air that caught him and picked him up as if he were no lighter than a feather, and was carried off just as a feather would’ve. Ron’s only worry was that the robots in the streets below would suffer the same agonizing wedgies he had suffered the previous day. Ron decided to save them, swooping down and picking them all up, because Ron had become a giant himself, and the robots were amazed at his strength, so they let him be their king. But Ron didn’t want to be king; he only wanted his cotton candy back. So the robots highest priest brought Ron an entire tray of cotton candy cones, and as he savored his sugary treat, he found himself being dragged through a tunnel with a bright light at the end. Ron had to shield his eyes from the bright light that offered him a hand up. The light showed him to the ocean, where unicorns greeted him and placed upon his head; a crown of chocolate, which made Ron very happy indeed. However, it was time for him to leave, and so he boarded the train that shot out, off to sea. Ron sat in his seat, his eyes were closing slowly, and opening even slower. But the train came to a sudden halt, because a troop of dinosaurs had broken across the surface of the ocean and headed off towards the desert. Ron found that he would have to take the boat the rest of the way home. He nodded to the ostrich and thanked the seal who had shared their ice cream with him and soon, he was cast off in the small boat made of plastic and old books. When he made it to shore, Ron stumbled out onto the grass which grew to enormous lengths at his touch, and there, he drifted off to sleep. He hadn’t made it all the way home like he’d hoped he would’ve.

            Ron’s mother looked at him as she opened the car door. He was fast asleep in the backseat. Ron’s father smiled at him, as he carefully unbuckled him from the seat and carried him inside. Upstairs, Ron’s father tucked him into bed and kissed him goodnight, as his mother walked in and did the same. However, Ron awoke with a start, suddenly excited. He told his parents of his fantastic journey, but they simply chuckled, stroked his hair for a moment, then left to return to their beds themselves. Ron sat in bed until the early hours of the morning, thinking up another world. One in which he could escape into, and his parents would see it, and they would love him even more. Yeah, Ron thought, something about trolls and forests. However, he never made it to the trolls or the forests, because he had, at last, fallen asleep.

            Oh, the imaginations of children….  

© 2010 Domenic Luciani


Author's Note

Domenic Luciani
This is me, getting over writer's block.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

After getting to the end...it all made sense. A child's imagination. Cool concept. The only thing that bothered me was that I kept "tripping" over the name Ronald. I don't know whether it was the amount of syllables or the need for more pronouns...lol.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A well written story that took me into the mind of a child and showed me the way he thinks. You painted beautiful scenes filled with childhood innocence. The story flowed smoothly and it was impressive how you ended it. It gives the reader this sense of peace and satisfaction.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love stories such as this one. They help adults unfold their minds and jump into their imagination. Very good nicley done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I believe...

You need to start using the word "he" for this one, especially in the beginning of the first paragraph...

Ron's a pretty crazy kid!

Posted 13 Years Ago


and Ron was falling"falling through the night air that ( the " must be cafe mistake, I see those a lot in places they shouldn't be and I know you're writing better than to think it was on purpose.)

I like this. I had a wild imagination as a child, sometimes causing me harm or getting me into trouble. Just wish it had been longer.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ron sounds just like a child with a wonderful imagination. Too bad kids lose them when they get older but some of us get them back and write and do art. Great story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


After getting to the end...it all made sense. A child's imagination. Cool concept. The only thing that bothered me was that I kept "tripping" over the name Ronald. I don't know whether it was the amount of syllables or the need for more pronouns...lol.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very nice piece of work. interesting writing from the perspective of a child.
Eh, sorry for the poor review. I'm just not feelnig it tonight.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

458 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 24, 2010
Last Updated on May 27, 2010

Author

Domenic Luciani
Domenic Luciani

Buffalo, NY



About
That is my real name, and that is really me in the picture. Like Patrick says, I'm not in the witness protection program. I mostly write books and stories. I like fantasy, or fiction, but if.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Domenic Luciani


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Domenic Luciani



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Curious Alice Curious Alice

A Poem by OT


Black Swan Black Swan

A Poem by OT