Chapter One: Getting In

Chapter One: Getting In

A Chapter by Dominique

Chapter 1: Getting In

 

WHACK!

I smiled as the ball was sliced through the grass. Ali Myer, the best player on our team, took the ball into her control and ran it down the field. My eyes met with Carsen, my best friend, and my opponent tonight. I smiled and she returned it with a small grin. The whistle peeled loudly, making my ears ring long after it had stopped, which meant Ali had scored.

I jogged over to the bleachers and snatched my blue water bottle. I took a long swig, then closed the top and tossed into the grass by the bench.

“That goal was awe-some, Ali.” I told her, smiling. She plopped down on the bench, and I lowered myself to the grass.

“Well, that team sucks.” Ali commented, nodding toward the other side of the field, where the girls were squealing and jumping up and down and laughing high-pitched, girly laughs.

“Man, they should play against five-year-olds. ‘Cause that’s how they’re acting.” I said, ignoring the fact that Hannah and Carsen—my best friends—were on the team. I just wanted to get along with Ali for a change.

Ali was in The Committee, which is like a sporty popular group. Everyone in that group plays at least one sport, but most of them play about four every year. Which is why I had always wanted to be a part of it.

“You got that,” Ali said, smirking. The ref blew the whistle and I walked back onto the field with Ali.

After a few minutes of the other team passing the ball to the teammates that were right next to them, we all resided to our goal, waiting for them to realize that they weren’t actually playing.

I saw a movement in my peripheral vision, and I turned to see Ali looking at Kelly Smith, the ‘leader’ of The Committee. She was hiding behind the bleachers with something rectangular in her hands. She smiled gave a thumbs up to Ali, who nodded.

She trotted around to the front and climbed to the second row in the bleachers. Carsen sped over, almost right in front of Kelly, and leaned forward.

“I’m open!” she screamed. Hannah slammed her foot into the side of the ball and it zipped across the field. Kelly stood up slowly, raising up the rectangle in her hands, which I now realized was a fold-up chair, made of metal and that stretchy plastic.

She tossed it like a Frisbee onto the field. It crushed Carsen’s left side right before she stopped the ball. She collapsed into the grass.

There was a crowd within seconds, but our coach told us to go sit on the bleachers and wait. There was so many people talking, I couldn’t make out anything. I watched Kelly slip down the space in between the seats and drop into the grass. She gave Ali another thumbs up, then darted straight back to the parking lot.

I soon heard sirens, and knew that Carsen was seriously injured. But yet, I felt some kinda of respect for Kelly and Ali. Like, they taught Carsen a lesson for not actually playing the game.

I watched as Carsen was put onto the stretcher and lifted into the ambulance. Her mom, who was in the stands, jumped in with her. The paramedics slammed the doors shut and jogged to the front. The sirens blared louder—if possible—and the lights flashed as they pulled away and zoomed down the road to the hospital.

“Okay everyone,” the ref spoke. “Kangaroos, you need to use one of your benched players. Panthers, resume as usual.”

The whistle blew, and we rushed out onto the field, where we resumed our game.

 

I woke up in the morning, feeling groggy. The game lasted an extra hour, and we won by eighteen points. Then our team went out for ice cream. So I had a long night. I fumbled to my walk-in closet and strode to the wall of pants. I chose my black shorts and a white shirt read ‘Dancing Volleyball Queen’. I laced up my blue and grey sneakers and let my hair fall loose. I slipped on my white Columbia jacket and walked downstairs.

My sister, Courtney, was sitting at the table, half-asleep. I grabbed the keys to the Mustang, my gym bag, my student ID, my cell phone, and wallet.

I walked out the door and to the garage without grabbing breakfast. I shoved my phone and wallet into my gym bag and tossed it into the passenger seat of the grey with black stripe Mustang. I shoved the keys into the ignition and revved the engine.

It took a good ten minutes to get to the school. I walked inside with my things and headed for the usual table in the cafeteria—that’s where we have to wait for the bell to ring. I had just spotted our table when Kelly stepped in front of me.

“Hey,” she said. “Great game last night.

“Uh, thanks.” I said.

“So, how about that chair thing. Pretty funny, right?”

“Funny?” I asked. “Not even close. That was hilarious.” I said. To think about it now, it’s really funny the way Carsen just crumbled. I know it may sound mean, but honestly, how many of you would laugh when someone was rushed to the hospital from being hit by a flying chair?

We burst out laughing at that exact moment.

“She just, like, fell over. It looked like she was playing dead. She didn’t even look hurt.” Kelly said, rolling her eyes. I felt eyes on me, and I knew they were Hannah, Carsen, Sara, Brianna, and Madeline eyes. And they were mad.

“So, we should hang sometime. Maybe lunch?” she asked.

“Totally. That would be so cool.” I said.

“Awesome.” She said, smiling wide. The bell buzzed the annoying drone, and I bounced over to my usual table.

“Hey guys.” I said, smiling like the thing with Kelly was nothing unusual. No one said a word, I was just getting lots of glares.

Taylor,” a voice said from behind me. I turned to see it was Kelly and the rest of The Committee.

“See you at lunch, Tay.” Carsen muttered as Sara helped her to her feet. It was the first I had noticed, but her right leg was in a cast.

“Um, actually, I’m eating lunch with Kelly.” I said. Everyone whipped their heads around to look at me, then every pair of eyes narrow.

“Whatever.” Sara muttered, nudging Carsen and Brianna, who moved through the crowd of people. Hannah and Madeline followed after them. Hannah looked mad, but  Madeline looked envious. Of me. Wow.

I gazed at The Committee. The group consisted of Kelly Smith, Brendan Lawford, Nicci Neola, Tony Braun, Ashley Whet, Jack Patterson, Ali Myer, Brandon Odem, Meghan Prince, Logan Fulton, Josh Kemper, and most recently Jade Harris.



© 2009 Dominique


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on June 2, 2009
Last Updated on June 2, 2009


Author

Dominique
Dominique

About
I love to read and write. I enjoy reading romance, adventure, and horror the most, but I enjoy most every genre. I prefer writing drama stories, because they relate to me most. But I also like writing.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Dominique