9. Follow the Paths

9. Follow the Paths

A Chapter by Paranoid Android

Some days went by with limited to no contact between the two. Dalton kept busy with his friends, making jokes about trivial things, letting immaturity run rampant the way it does in boys his age. Scarlett became a recluse, she sat in her room and played games, she stared at the ceiling and she lost herself in thought. She didn’t feel any desire to see her friends, there wasn’t much connection there for her. Dalton already knew her better than they could, she would tell herself that he knows her more than her friends had the mental capacity to understand. Deep down she knew this was pretentious, and that she really just had to feel like she was better than them.

                Scarlett couldn’t stand her friends, they were annoying and trivial, but she wanted to know that they needed her. She just wouldn’t admit that up until now, she was the one who really needed the destructive relationship. Her best friend failed at every aspect of growing up, and Scarlett couldn’t have it any other way. Thus, it was destined to break off in one way or another; it was just the fortune of the cosmos that gave Dalton to Scarlett before she could lose her mind.

----

Summer rolled around, in the sense of revealing clothing and excessive heat from the sun. Her dysphoria wouldn’t allow her to wear shorts, but Scarlett’s tank top was revealing enough to cause a shock to most anyone who looked at her, including Dalton.

                They ran into each other again at the park, Dalton was on a picnic with his friends and Scarlett just wanted to take a walk in the hills with her iPod. It seemed like a cruel coincidence that they were both there, but time was spent together regardless.

                She tried to look casual, playing with the hair on her head and humming along to the melody of her music as she strolled over to the picnic with a small smile and a short wave that was welcomed by the whole group upon Dalton’s response. There was an empty seat, but it wasn’t next to him so she felt unsure, even though she took it anyway in an attempt to seem like she wasn’t imposing too much. The group’s chatting continued. Scarlett listened, laughed with them, but she never spoke.

                Then, a boy of average height with golden hair approached the group. He walked to Scarlett’s seat, “Oh, I see someone else got here while I was in the bathroom.”

                “I’m sorry!” she replied, standing up, “You can have your seat back.” She nodded and walked over to Dalton, who took her hand and pulled her in. Dalton was cool and calm, wrapping his arms around her as if it were the most natural motion he’d known. Scarlett felt her heart skip a beat, and her face felt warm. She could only hope that it didn’t show outwardly, but instinctively hid her face anyway. Scarlett didn’t see, but Dalton laughed silently. The rest of the group watched, but with no response as they continued on their petty conversation.

                “It’s been a while,” whispered Scarlett, “It’s been a while since I’ve seen anyone.”

                Dalton held her closer. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen you,” he whispered back, “and that’s what matters.”

                Scarlett became confused. “You could’ve called,” she said.

                “I wouldn’t want to bother you,” he replied, “and I didn’t want you to feel uncomfortable around my friends,” he glanced around the circle to make sure they weren’t listening, “they never leave anymore.”

                “Do you want to walk with me on the paths up the foothills?”

                Dalton nodded. “That sounds nice.”



© 2011 Paranoid Android


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
Added on July 2, 2011
Last Updated on July 2, 2011


Author

Paranoid Android
Paranoid Android

Boise, ID



About
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case. more..

Writing