10. Priorities

10. Priorities

A Chapter by Paranoid Android

Dalton and Scarlett ran up the hill until their energy became drained; Scarlett was the first to stop but Dalton accommodated for her. They alternated with running and walking, but eventually became too focused on the other to focus on trying to run.
“So how have you been, Scarlett?”
She shrugged and looked at her feet. “My mind races a lot and I lost my desire to be around people. I don’t know. I’m kind of just blank. But it doesn’t matter, how have you been lately?”
“I’ve been fine,” he started, “just a bit lonely but that isn’t anything new. I’ve had a lot of fun with a couple of my friends, but I don’t really like this group thing. They all act like the same person in the group and it really bothers me.”
“Is it because you’re not that person too?”
“I hope I’m not that annoying…”
Scarlett giggled. “Well I haven’t been around your group of friends enough to say, but I don’t think you are annoying at all when you’re talking to me.”
“Well I would hope not,” he started out, “I hope I never annoy you.”
“You won’t… Dalton, you’re the only person I even want to be around. You can’t annoy me. I’ll probably end up annoying you pretty soon though… I just get like that…”
“Like what?”
“I don’t know, too clingy, I guess?”
“That’s not a bad thing, but do you know why you do it?”
“I guess it’s just because I’m not happy with myself. I don’t know who I am or what I want, apart from wanting to be with you,” she took a breath and continued on, despite the colour taking over her face. “When I like someone that much I think I become dependent on them because being around them distracts me from myself. I can just focus on how amazing they are, and how they make my life bearable. They kind of take over…” she bit her lip, “I just find myself needing them to feel safe and to feel happy.”
“Well I want you to be happy,” Dalton replied, “and if my being here does that, then by all means, kidnap me.”
Scarlett gave him a strange look.
“I just mean, I’ll give you priority over them,” he pointed down, “so don’t ever feel like you’re imposing on me. You mean a lot more than you think.”
She smiled, and her cheeks evened out to a fleshy red.
“You really are adorable,” he said.
She looked away and said nothing.
It was then that a cool breeze set in and the sagebrush on the mountain began to rustle. A wall of dark clouds peered out of the horizon, but the sun still shone, reflecting off of Scarlett’s bare shoulders as she stood in front of Dalton. She felt a chill down her spine and twitched slightly.
“Are you okay?”
“A storm is coming.” She shivered, “it’s watching us.”
Dalton took her hand and led her down the mountain. “Do you want to come over to my house for a bit then?”
Scarlett nodded, and the way things worked out, drove him back home. She averted her gaze from the mirrors, focusing on the roads while Dalton kept double taking.
The mirrors weren’t looking at him, they were staring into him, and they were analyzing him. Something was after him, and the feeling intensified.


© 2011 Paranoid Android


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on July 3, 2011
Last Updated on July 3, 2011


Author

Paranoid Android
Paranoid Android

Boise, ID



About
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case. more..

Writing