Morning Jog

Morning Jog

A Story by R. A. Duarte

 
Out under a rising sun, I breathe in the sea. Panting and breathing, my feet hit the sand hard and fast. Pebbles are kicked and impurities are felt under my feet. But I can’t stop moving. I can’t stop running. I must continue for my own health and my own self for if I fail to complete this jog, I will be but a simple man who slowed his speed for all the wrong reasons. 

 
But I know that at the end of the run and with my hands on my knees as I pant and breathe heavily; that for the discomfort of the coarse and rough sand beneath my feet,  I would not choose another place in the world to be. This is my run.
 
You’re not that far behind. I can see your silhouette coalesce into your figure as you approach from the horizon. Your speed aside, you were always there catching up. You never forgot where we met in the sand.
 
Your face, your beautiful face; I see it come together as you get closer and closer and soon enough your eyes are staring right back at me. The white of your teeth shows as you pant and breath as you approach more and more and I can breathe more calmly knowing you’re finally here.
 
“You ran to fast” you say.
 
“Perhaps,” I reply. “But you caught up.”
 
As coarse as the sand is under our feet and for all the impurities in it, we never stopped our run. And when there were times when you ran beyond me; and others when I ran past you; I never forgot you were there. And just as patiently as the sun rises in the sky, I stand in a crisp morning and breath. You’re not that far behind. You’re finally here.

© 2008 R. A. Duarte


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on April 11, 2008

Author

R. A. Duarte
R. A. Duarte

Here and There, CA



About
Writing is something i just enjoy. It is a pleasant outlet for emotions, thoughts, and opinions. I've been doing off and on writing since i was very young playing with my Legos creating storylines. .. more..

Writing