Short Beginning - Unrealized Idea

Short Beginning - Unrealized Idea

A Story by EMG

The night was growing older by the second and I was not having much fun. It was very dark out, a winter’s night dark; a cold and ferocious wind was picking up, scooping the leaves of the cracked grey sidewalk and smashing them into my ankles as I walked. The orange glow punctuated the overwhelming darkness, but just for a few steps, then I was plunged back into the dark. Apartment buildings and storefronts lined my pathway on either side, full of life during the day, but not now. The cheap vodka that had warmed by lips at the bar was not helping and the flush of drunkenness in my cheeks was beginning to fade with each breath of wind that flew past. I pulled my jacked closer to my body and continued down the walk.

 

After several minutes of walking down my lonely pathway I happened upon a small café with a waiter and a barmen inside. It was a small corner café, one not unique to this city except for the time that this one stayed open til. After some contemplation, aided by my last cigarette, I stepped out of my dark pathway and into the café.

 

A small bell positioned above the door alerted the two men of my entrance and they turned to great me. The barman was an older gentleman. He wore a long sleeve white collared shirt, wrinkled with days work. Black suspendered crisscrossed his shirt and connected to equally black pants.  His black hair, greasy and slicked back neatly, completed the whole outfit. The waiter, a younger man had brown hair, curly and neatly unkempt, a rosy face and wore the same outfit as the barman but with a red vest over his white, crisp shirt.

 

 

I pointed to the seat at the bar and they both nodded at me. I slouched on the blood red leather stood and threw my jacket on the stool beside me. The barman half turned away from his conversation to give me a smile which I only half returned, and after the last few words with the barmen walked the three steps over to me. I smiled now, fully at him and asked for a vodka.

 

            “It’s cold out there yea?” said the barman.

 

I nodded in reply. “Wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for that wind.” I said and took up the cup the barman had just put down in front of me.

 

It was warm and the vodka was better than at the previous bar. And it was quiet. After several drinks the waiter asked if I would need anything besides drink. I replied no. The waiter packed and closed up his station not long after my reply.

 

I checked my watch after I set down my third drink and was suprsed to see the hour so late. The barmen was in the corner of the bar now, reading today’s paper. I swiveled in my chair to check outside. Cold, and dark. I swiveled back around an asked for another. 

© 2012 EMG


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on July 18, 2012
Last Updated on July 18, 2012

Author

EMG
EMG

Writing
Birds I & II Birds I & II

A Poem by EMG


Tree House Tree House

A Poem by EMG


Driving Driving

A Poem by EMG