o1 - Aeval

o1 - Aeval

A Chapter by Egress
"

part one

"

            Grey was the word she thought when she approached her friends. Akihito slouched over the lunch table. Sayumi was tense. Colours jumped around when she entered the cafeteria, but the subdued tones encasing them popped out. Everyone else seemed to be glad of the recess after being slaved by the teachers. Except them.

   Taking a seat, Aeval poked Akihito's limp arm. He barely looked at her, but she could see the bags under his eyes. Faint, but noticeable.

   'What's wrong?'

   'Sleepy,' he said. His tone didn't sound like someone about to pass out. 'Went out looking for Toshiro last night.'

   'Looking for Toshiro?'

   'Mhm. Disappeared last night.' He groaned, flopping like a dead fish.

   'What?' She stared at him. Her hand hovered above the lunchbox she was about to open, much like the unsaid questions she was dying to ask. Like how, why. This was Toshiro, the nicer of the two brothers, the quiet guy who always helped her with Maths nearly all the time. Who couldn't run for five minutes without panting and nearly fainting afterwards.

   'When did you last see him?' Sayumi said, voice quiet.

   'Last night. I swear I saw him before I went to bed. Around ten or something.'

Aeval didn't want to entertain most of the possibilities. And there was only a few of them. Kidnapping would be unlikely, since he could just scream or something. Akihito's room was right next to his. The other, though...

   'Do you think he ran away?' Sayumi's voice was soft, almost like a murmur. Akihito buried his face in his arms. Aeval shivered in the heated room.

   Looking down to her food, somehow the delicious-looking meal didn't look appetising anymore. She tried to grin.

   'What makes you think so, Sayumi? He's probably taking an impromptu vacation!' The two gave her strange looks that said What? and I envy your optimism, but she disregarded them. Repeat a wish enough and it would come true.

 

   The bell rung. Aeval leapt from her seat, ignoring the teacher's glare because it just wasn't important. Sayumi was taking her time putting her pencils into her pencil case and the pencil case into her bag. It took her two minutes and it was one twenty seconds too long.

   'Come on, Sayumi.'

   'Come on what? Why are you in such a hurry?'

   'We have to find Toshiro,' she whined. Sayumi raised an eyebrow.

   'I thought you said he was taking an impromptu vacation.' Aeval pouted, crossing her arms. The teacher coughed. Aeval tugged on Sayumi's wrist, dragging her out from the classroom.

   'Okay, okay, he's not taking an impromptu vacation. Happy? Now let's go.' They walked down the hallway, Aeval bumping other students to the side. Sayumi elbowed her, glaring a little. She wasn't cut out looking mean. Aeval grinned back.

   They stopped in front of the tenth grade, and she peeked from the small window on the door. Akihito was  standing in the front shouting something or the other about papers due and some students yelled back, trying to get out of the class. She waved at him, mouthing let's go. He slung his bag and unlocked the door, pulling them aside as people pushed each other out. They seemed to love commotions.

   'Let's go,' Akihito said. He looked much better�"back straighter, eyes not as droopy as it was at lunch, held himself firmer. Aeval nodded and followed him out.

 

   The walk was rather quiet, and Aeval couldn't bring herself to break the silence. Latching to anyone else when she babbled just didn't have the same feeling to it. Not to mention no one would correct her when she said the wrong word. There was a vibration on her chest pocket.

   One new message. Unknown number. What harm could a message bring? She opened it.

Come to Rose Square. 3 pm. This is about Toshiro. She stopped on her tracks.

   'Guys, read this.' Akihito raised an eyebrow but backtracked, Sayumi behind him.

   Her mind couldn't grasp it. The message was straightforward, and that threw her off. It made things look like Toshiro was kidnapped and they were asking them to come so they could strike the deal. But they were teenagers. Kids. Why would anyone ask for a ransom to a girl who wasn't even related to the family?

   'You know,' Akihito said, swallowing thickly, 'I was going to say that it's probably a creep or criminal or a random person from school but...'

   'He or she knows about Toshiro,' Sayumi said. He nodded, taking the phone from Aeval's hand. He stared at the screen for a few minutes before looking away.

   'I'll go,' Aeval said. Akihito shook his head, orange light around him flickering. Uncertainty, maybe. Flickers had too much meaning for her to remember�"lying, feeling uncomfortable.

   'If you're going, then I'll go,' he said. 'I can't let you go alone when we don't even know whether this person is a creep, stalker, criminal, or a laughing high schooler. We are, however, not going anywhere until we go to my house and eat.' Sayumi opened her mouth but closed it again. Aeval shrugged.

   'Why are we waiting then? Let's go!' With that she skipped, leaving the other two behind. Akihito stared at her before glancing at Sayumi. She shrugged, a small smile playing on her lips. He shook his head and walked after her.



© 2012 Egress


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oop! Exciting! :) I can't wait for the rest.
Your scene set was fantastic though it ran a little fast. Anyway, great dialogue and cliff hanger, can't wait for the rest so thanks for a great chapter ^.^

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on January 6, 2012
Last Updated on January 6, 2012


Author

Egress
Egress

Indonesia



About
A fourteen-years old girl with minimum writing experience. I'm planning to get better! On the way to plan several novels, including two murder mysteries. WILLING TO BETA. This means I'll read your w.. more..

Writing
Hobson Hobson

A Story by Egress


Lucid Dreaming Lucid Dreaming

A Story by Egress