Currently untitled story number 1. Part 1

Currently untitled story number 1. Part 1

A Story by D.Evert
"

Woman´s life suddenly changes after a series of unusual events. Now Helena Kiletski embarks on a journey to discover the truth hidden far beyond our reality.

"

 

"Are you listening?"

Said the woman sitting in front of me across the table.

I quickly opened my eyes and tried to concentrate and pretended I was interested in the topic we´ve been discussing.

"I just think you´re way too much worried that´s all. And you have no reason to be that stressed, it´s over he´s not going back to her"

"I know,but there´s this tiny little voice in my head telling me, maybe I shouldn´t do it just because I want my children to have normal childhood with both mommy and daddy in it. There are plenty of single mothers and their kids can cope with the fact that their parents have split. I love them but I don´t want to be unhappy for the rest of my life"

Now I was really curious about her opinion.

"Look honey, you´ve been together for so long and you know Rex. And I think you also knew that this was going to happen. But he´s a loving father so don´t let it all go to waste only because of one stupid mistake on his side"

 

I´ve been hearing these kinds of sentences for last two months from different peoples mouths but this was the first time I heard it from someone who had never been married, has no kids and when it comes to relationships she is the one that is leaving her partners brokenhearted.

 By the way this woman sitting in front of me is my best friend, Karla.

I met her a few years ago on a family vacation in Germany and though she has no idea what I´m going through right now and what I´ve been going through for the past two months.

 I think I´ll tell her exactly what she wants to hear. Arguing with her is not the best idea at all.

 

"Yes maybe you´re right. I just need to move on and forget it ever happened and everything should be alright" I replied.

"Exactly darling, that´s what I wanted to hear. Oh s**t I´m out of time. My date is waiting for me. I really gotta go. I´ll call you later. Here´s the money for the coffe..."

"Okay I think I´ll just stay here and finish my coffe, see you later, take care. I hope your date goes well, glad you´re dating again"

"What do you mean again? I´ve always been dating but you were too busy to notice. I´m like a unicorn. It´s extremely rare to find someone my age with body like this, you know. That´s why men are so attracted to me"

" Alright alright just go or you´ll miss your date"

 

My name is Helena Kiletski. A few days ago I was just an average woman who would indentify herself as "full-time mom". I was tired, nervous, exhausted but at the same time, experiencing the most beautiful years of my life. Watching my two children grow during the day, holding my husbands warm and soft hand at night, falling asleep in our cozy apartment that I personally decorated three years ago when we moved to Esbjerg. But all good things must sooner or later come to an end. And my end, was far nearer than I thought….

 

As I was sitting there I waved at Karla through the icy restaurant window and did this "I´ll call you" motion with my left hand, though I actually didn´t intend to call her.

 I would wait for her to call me so she could invite me out for a dinner or something that would make me leave my apartment and I wouldn´t have to think about my husband´s infidelity for a few minutes.

 Plus I would feel like I´m still needed. That someone needs my advice.

Even though I knew she´d only want to dig into my problems and my love life as deep as possible but that´s just Karla.

 

I was just finishing my coffe when a man in a cloack walked in. I couldn´t see his face but for some reason I turned around and looked at the stranger who was heading towards the last table in the right corner of the Café.

As he was passing my table all of a sudden I felt cold. His strong footsteps we´re sending shivers down my spine.

 I couldn´t even tell if he´s skinny or fat, blonde or brunette. The only thing I knew about this person was that he´s wearing long black cloak and brown hat.

He sat down, took the menu and seemed to be looking for something to eat. I stopped paying attention to him tried to enjoy my coffe. It was getting dark outside. The snow began to fall down again and with every gulp I took my head felt heavier and heavier which was strange because coffe was supposed to keep me up so I could have enough energy to cook dinner before Rex comes home.

After four minutes I couldn´t resist and let the slumber take over me.

 

 

When I opened my eyes I felt fully rested even though it was probably just a few minutes. And I also felt little embarased because of this weird nap that I took in front of the other guests. Couldn´t just someone passing by wake me up? And then I realized......there´s noone in here. Everybody left.

 I looked out of the window but it was way too frozen. I couldn´t see through. I could only tell that it was still snowing but much more than before I fell asleep and I could see hazy light that was coming from the Street Lamps.

When I realized it might not just been a short nap I kind of freaked out and immediately checked my cell phone for the time. It was 9:30 pm. When Karla was leaving I think it was like 5:15 pm. What happened? Why didn´t some member of staff wake me up when they were closing the Café? And if it´s closed how am I supposed to get out of here?

The first thing I tried to do was to call my husband but he did´t pick it up and he didn´t even call me during that time when I was sleeping. Does he even care why am I not home with him and our children? I thought we moved on.

 

I took my purse and was ready to go and check if the door is still open or if some member of staff is somewhere back in the kitchen. How could they just leave me here while all the other guests left?

Right when I was about to leave my table I realized something. After all, one guest did stay here. The mysterious man I saw walk in just before I fell asleep. He was sitting there behind the last table in the right corner holding his menu, quiet and still.

 

I didn´t move for a while. I had to think quickly and since I´m not an optimist all of these horror movies I´ve seen with strange psychos chasing people, locking them up somewhere and killing them just flashed before my eyes as I was looking at the stranger.

What am I going to do?

I looked behind me and I saw the entrance door. Obviously I didn´t know if it´s locked or not but I had to give it a try. This situation was strange enough and I didn´t plan on making it any stranger by talking to this person I could barely see now as it was getting darker and darker outside and the only light that was illuminating the whole place was the one from Street Lamps shining through the icy windows.

 

Shall I run? Shall I walk? My heart was beating hundred times faster than normally. I don´t think I´ve ever been that frightened in my life before. Surprisingly the man was still sitting there so I turned around and headed to the entrance door.

 

I was walking slowly. My fear grew with every step and although I wanted to turn around and check out if he´s still there or if he´s following me I didn´t do it.

I passed three tables and there were only two tables left until I reached the door.

© 2012 D.Evert


Author's Note

D.Evert
I love writing in english although I´m not a native english speaker. Please don´t be harsh if for example the same words repeat too often and please also consider that I´m no professional. Writing gives me joy and I wanted to share my story with some other people.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Though you do not think yourself a professional author, i think you have written a riveting suspense-filled story. Your main character Helena Kiletski is a sensible normal person without any idiosyncrasies. When strange things happen in an uncanny way, that grips the reader's attention. You have reflected this in your work with the use of the 'dark man.' I wonder if he is an antagonist or one with a supporting role in your story. I'd love to read the following parts of your work. Be proud of the steps you have taken.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It's great thematically and conceptually. I found most of my issues in SPaG. Maybe a proofread ought to do the trick. You're no beginner.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 24, 2012