To the Extent of the Universe Chapter 1

To the Extent of the Universe Chapter 1

A Chapter by Andrew Brown

The ship was cutting through the rocks as if they weren’t there. It was a massive five hundred stories tall by a billion yard long by a hundred thousand feet wide whip, modeled after its mothership, the U.S.S Millennium. The ships name? The U.S.S Saratoga. It had a round main hull. This is where 70 of the stories were made up. On the top sat the bridge, with the captain and his first crew in there. Under the huge circle, sat the engine, a single nuclear reactor that was about 300 times bigger than a jet engine, but then there were two “little” light speed reactors. Each over 2 thousand square feet all alone. This ship was the smallest of the offensive fleet but it was still bigger than the city it came from. The Saratoga was on its way to Saturn to get to the Universal Security for All Intergalactic Life (USAIL) base in Saturn. They had established this base about 6 months ago and were checking up on them and how the atmosphere was affecting them. When they got to the Rings Of Saturn, the ship had run into a rock storm from the rings. The rock storm derives from all these rocks that make up the rings and when one hits another, then a rock storm starts from a small chain reaction.

“How close to base?” said Captain Jones

                First Captain Mark Jones was a big man, built like Popeye the Sailor. He had guns as arms and had a chiseled face. A nose that had come out to a round point. His ice were ice blue and could stare you down in a heartbeat. His brown hair was relatively short with the front sticking out because of the 5 ounces of gel he put in it to keep it like it was defying gravity.

                “Five hundred thousand feet sir,” said his first mate James Jackson, “and decreasing.”

                “Well then increase thrusters,” said Jones

                “10-4 Captain,” said Jackson.

                The Bridge was a crowded place with 5 technicians trying to get to Jones. There were also the control personnel. They were landing the ship but as well as watching the skies for activity. There were the radar readers along the back wall. They were all studying the surface of Saturn as to where they should land. Then along the two side walls, were the communicators. They were the ones who watched telecommunications along the ship. Every time that Captain Jones wanted to talk to the whole crew of the ship, he had to have them cancel all other communications on the ship. They also were able to get communications from other ships within a one hundred light-year radius.

                “Captain, we are experiencing a problem in the engine room,” said one of the five technicians, “either someone beamed aboard the ship or the nuclear reactor has come out of alignment. We need your permission to get our radioactive-resistance suits and check it out.”

                “You have my permission,” said Jones.

                The technicians walked away trying to figure it out now that they had the clearance.

“Captain, we have now landed,” said Jackson.



© 2013 Andrew Brown


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on October 21, 2013
Last Updated on October 21, 2013