In the Gutter

In the Gutter

A Poem by I Am Svetlana

Once again, I’m standing in the gutter.

Don’t know why

But I am.

The sun is high and bright.

I’m searching for someone to talk to.

People pass me, but dare not look in my direction.

Why do they stare at the ground as they walk?

I am alone now as the gutter is still where I am standing.

Why won’t someone talk to me?

I can’t think of a single answer.

My mind is blank and empty.

It’s not processing anything.

Why is there a sudden silence?

Everyone is gone.

A dove flies over my head and off into the clouds.

I wonder where it’s going and if I can go with.

© 2009 I Am Svetlana


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is a good write! I enjoy the poems that are short in lines. You can read them over and over again. This one makes me think a lot. People always keep their feeling to themselves. It is always like that. showing your inside, might make people mad or laugh. With friends thats a thing to do. but with strangers not so much. thanks for sharing. Assume job!!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is really a good piece here.
The intellectual reader can tell the narrator is suffering from a lack of communication that is....mmmm....real.
As the author is young, this is not unusual. Teen angst I think.
The rest of us have no such excuses.
What is really cool is how the teller covers first, her peer group and fellow humans.
Nothing. Silence as it were.
But then....The dove lends it's opinion on the wing.
Beautiful way of subtly suggesting we humans are out of touch in a world that couldn't have much more device for communication.
I love this.
Oh, and you can talk to me anytime, Emily.
I like your perspective and your history is provocative as well.


Posted 14 Years Ago


This poem is just so real. Everybody feels like that at sometime in their life and you worded it so well!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hi Heart,
I believe that you have described a loneliness feeling in an interesting and inventive, I might add, way. The answer that occurs to me, when I contemplate your poem, is that people are, generally, afraid. Afraid of all kinds of things but mainly the unfamiliar. I enjoy your nice clear style of writing; (lean) beautiful and refreshing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This evokes a sense of pity and sadness...and yet its easy to relate to. I think almost everyone has felt overlooked and alone at some point in their lives. The ending is especially nice however, a brief note of hope. Lovely poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
very raw and real, you express your lonliness with poetic insight, I like this piece very much for its honesty....

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
xXx
[Exhale] .. you have captured and expressed seclusion, loneliness, abandonment, and simple want to be a part. bravo. love this close to my heart.

Posted 14 Years Ago


the gutter of society is the worst sewage of all. benevolence is a dying trait. however, it can have a different meaning to each person. if i could count the times i've wanted to sail away with a passing bird as i wondered where it was going to, it'd probably be 2,352,764 times.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the ending of this. Before while picturing oneself in the gutter it's a bleak situation, but in the end one gets a message of hope.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A straight read, but a great message or awareness is being given here. I could not only imagine it all, but feel life from this person's perspective. Bravo!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 30, 2009
Last Updated on December 30, 2009

Author

I Am Svetlana
I Am Svetlana

Madison, WI



About
"If you cannot write well; you cannot think well; if you cannot think well, other's will do your thinking for you." -Oscar Wilde Hello all, my name is Emily Svetlana! I am 30 years old and wo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..