Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Emily

Chapter 14: Violet

Violet had known she was different for a while. Her parents always told her that she was special. She just didn’t know why. She was 7 years old and her eighth birthday was in 3 months. She was homeschooled for most of her life but her parents finally said that she could go to school like all of the other children. Her and mother went out to eat and when her mom said she would take her to the store to buy her some clothes for school. Her father was worried as always but her mom assured him that it would fine.

They went out to the mall to go shopping for clothes for her first day. They went to about 20 different stores and bought enough outfits to last her for a whole year! Violet couldn’t believe it! She had never had this many clothes before. They were about to leave when Violet started getting hungry she walked over to a squirrel that was up in a tree and started to climb up to get it. All of sudden her mom started screaming her to climb down, “Vi, you can’t! Get down from there right now!”

Violet obliged and jumped down from the tree. She walked over to her mom to see that she was shaking. “What’s the matter mommy? I just wanted a snack.” Her mom shook her head, “I’ll explain when we get home, okay?” Violet nodded yes. Violet didn’t know what was wrong, they always climbed trees to eat, and she didn’t understand what the problem was. Violet stayed quite until they got home. It wasn’t too long of a drive, but Violet was starving by the time they got back home. She was going to climb her favorite tree when she got home but she remembered how her mom reacted at the mall so she decided to wait until her mom gave her permission. They went into their home to find that her dad was there.

Violet ran up to her father and gave him a big hug. He quickly put her down and walked over to her mom to give her a kiss. Her mom pulled him into another room and Violet started to hear whispers in the kitchen. She quietly walked over to the other entrance to the kitchen.

 

“Aaron, we have to tell her what she is. She almost ate a squirrel in front of everyone! She was halfway up the tree when I called her down. We have to tell her, it can’t wait anymore.” Violet was confused and scared, what did her mom need to tell her?

“Maybe she was just playing? How do you know she-“

“She told me she wanted a snack! I know our daughter well enough to know when she’s hungry. She had that look that you and I always got. We can’t put this off any longer. We have to tell her, tonight. She can’t start school without knowing what she is.”

“Claire, we can’t just blurt this out. This is something that we have to ease into. She’s too young to fully understand what we are.” Violet couldn’t take it anymore.

“What are you guys talking about? What’s wrong with me? I’m scared!” Violet had started crying before she began talking. She was scared and mad at her parents and she wanted to know the truth.

Her mom and dad had a long look at one another before they both turned to face Violet.

 

“Sweet Vi, there’s something your father and I have to tell you. We’ve been trying to keep you protected from knowing the truth but after what happened at the mall today, we can’t wait any longer.” After another long glance at her father, Violet’s mother told her the truth about what she was.

“You have a disease, the same one that your father and I have, it’s called Carnivisouritis haemoglobis. I know it’s a mouthful but this disease is the reason we all eat the way we do. There aren’t many families that go hunting for bunnies and squirrels together; we do this because we all have the same disease. Do you understand sweetie?”

Violet didn’t know what to think, she thought that what they ate was normal. She didn’t think it was strange at all. “So…what would have happened if I did eat that squirrel in the tree at the mall? Would we have gotten in trouble?”

Violet’s question caused another long look between her father and her mother; her father answered her this time.

“Violet if you had done that people would have been…scared and wonder why you were doing it. It’s…it’s hard to explain. Your mother and I had trouble adjusting to our diets when we were younger because we didn’t know why we couldn’t stomach any…normal food. But once we realized what we were we felt much better. But we had to be careful where and when we ate. We didn’t want to…we had to…we…Claire”

“We had to be careful because people who aren’t like us wouldn’t understand why we were eating what we were eating. When we go and eat as a family we go in our backyard where no one else can see us. We do this because we need privacy when we eat. If we don’t then people will be scared to be around us. Is this making sense?”

Violet tried to understand what her parents were saying, but the way how they ate seemed so normal to her. What was wrong with eating a live squirrel? She’s been eating like this since she can remember.

“Vi? Are you okay sweetheart? I know this is very confusing for you and I’m sorry you had to find out this way. We didn’t want to scare you at such a young age but…well we didn’t have a choice. Please say something Violet.” Her mom was close to tears.

“I just…I don’t get it. I don’t understand what’s wrong with the way we eat. We have always eaten like this? Why do I have to be careful now? I don’t understand…” Violet was starting to tear up now. She couldn’t help it, she was scared and confused.

“Let’s go for a walk.” Her father said abruptly.

“Aaron, I don’t think thi�"“

“I said, let’s go for a walk.” Her father’s voice got very hard and her mom didn’t say anything else. They put their shoes on and went for a walk.



© 2019 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

13 Views
Added on December 9, 2019
Last Updated on December 9, 2019


Author

Emily
Emily

IL



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emily


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emily


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emily