Elusive as the Dream

Elusive as the Dream

A Poem by Emily B
"

for Dostani and The Broken Poet

"
Am I real, today?

Hovering somewhere between
the darkness and the light
like a spirit
or a dream

I feel the vibrations
of a thousand
heart beats.

You felt it, too.

and if the heavens tremble,
locked in an invisible struggle
So must we.

The rain was real
but it's gone
now.

And knowing
that you and I and he
all felt the same void

last night in our dreams

suddenly
makes it all seem
less lonely.

© 2009 Emily B


Author's Note

Emily B
Three people from across the country had the same dream one dark and rainy night. It affected them so deeply that come morning they were still shaken and wondering. It was the same dream except for each person the big, scary monster was drawn from each person's deepest self doubt. The rain and the doubt didn't begin to lift until the words came.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

When I read this, my first thoughts were of the French expression l'heure bleue (Blue hour) - which refers to the hour experienced between the hours of daylight and darkness. This period of the day is considered special, because of the quality of the light.

In the case of your beautifully poetic composition, I found this was because of the quality of the write, which made it special.

God's Blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

the reviews read like a parade of poets past, present and future . . . so many come and go here

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dreams to me are so mysterious. And I saw in this poem a litany of the color blue, and gray... And the impression that this poem left on me will stick with me tonight... A thought provoking piece Emily, and very technically sound.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like the concept behind it and how you were able to put it into this wonderful piece of work. When reading it, I get the profound sense of something important. Very nicely put together.

Sharp quills,
M. P. Owl

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful, profound piece of work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

those dreams touch a different place don't they and vibrate within all day ...Great Piece !

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your piece reminded me of a dream or a knocking, if you will, of a good friend on my dream door as he was leaving this life. It happened many years ago, but it changed how I think about relationships. We are connected in ways that we don't fully understand--so I guess the veil is truly thin in some places--

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

fantastic words, mah dear

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The first night after my mother was killed I saw her floating between two speeding trains, hanging above the tracks. The trains blurred with their speed as she sat there barely moving. I was distraught, lost and confused. "Why are you here? I thought you were..." She smiled. Sweetly. And told me not to worry. To not even bother to entertain the idea of loneliness or sadness. To accept whatever has happened. And then she disappeared, still smiling.

Whatever we want we can have, but when we truly cannot determine what is real, what is right and what is wrong, how can we know what we do indeed want? A dream should be likened to a religious experience/experience of faith, as perhaps our mind eye opens when we sleep.

"I feel the vibrations
of a thousand
heartbeats."

Like a train. Like an earthquake. And it nearly rips you apart before it leaves you still as though it never came.

I like how you explain the feeling of loneliness and its commonality in almost the same breath, like there is some togetherness of the alone. We are all bound by more than we realise and yet we like to think we are aleviated and different from other people. From other pain, like ours is never understandable. Your poem trascends that meaning and bridges familiarity, and the last stanza is haunting in it's meaning.

How different is the wind when you cannot hear it but see the effects of it? And is it more sinister that we cannot ever see the wind, or would it be scarier if it had a face?

You talk of more than just a dream and how we may be joined by our thoughts, you talk of inner peace, inner turmoil and how we are all just looking for an exit, and that for one moment, perhaps we find ourselves queuing to get out.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily B

11 Years Ago

your story moved me, this review may be the most feeling that I've ever witnessed, i can understand .. read more
Emily B

11 Years Ago

thank you
JohnnyMagrinho

11 Years Ago

We all move each other, or at least we should.

The dead linger much more than the livin.. read more
This had a more personal interpretation for me. Immediately following the death of a loved one , three people in my house had the same dream and visions. We awoke shaken by the dream only to be amazed that the identical visions were presented to all three of us at nearly the exact time. Upon awaking from the vision, we all had checked our clocks. Your lines, "suddenly makes it all seem less lonely", was exactly how we felt.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4394 Views
118 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 13 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on August 20, 2009


Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silent Decade Silent Decade

A Poem by Bubo


For You For You

A Poem by Celtic Cat