To Dream........A Nightmare

To Dream........A Nightmare

A Chapter by Emmie
"

The party's over and Ivy is exhausted but there is no rest for the weary.

"

 

To Dream………..A Nightmare
At some point in the deep recesses of my sleep, I started to dream. The images that I saw seemed pointless. There were images from my life, some of them pleasant, some a little painful. Eventually, the images all faded into a gray haze. I was walking around aimlessly. There was nothing round me, just the haze. There was no floor or walls, nothing. It felt as if I had been wandering for hours. My legs and arms were weighing me down and I felt myself seeping further into the darkness of my sleep. I finally stopped roaming because it was fruitless and lacked purpose. I felt numb and lifeless. I began to slump over when I noticed a door in the distance.
Part of my unconscious brain wanted to lie down in the nothingness and wait to wake up; the other part was curious about the door. What was a door doing out here in this desolate place? What did it mean? The curious part began to win over. Was there a purpose for the door in my dream? Did it lead to anywhere? What was on the other side? I suddenly felt an urgent need to get to that door as if my life depended on it. The longer I looked at it, the further away it seemed to move. I fought with myself and couldn’t understand why it was so difficult for me to move forward. Was the door really that important? I fell to my knees. I felt drained and longed for peaceful rest. I knew I had to get to that door but it was so hard, I didn’t want to move. My body was so tired. I really just wanted collapse until I could wake up.
What if the door was the key? Maybe I wouldn’t wake up until I went through the door. I felt a tingle of panic. Get up! I told myself. Now!  My voice echoed all around me. I started crawling, feeling the weight of my arms and legs as if gravity had tripled its affect on me. My body was dragging and my judgment was faltering. I wanted to give up. What would be so bad if I gave in and lost this fight? Why did I need to go on either in this dreamlike state or in real life? My body staggered to the side as I fell into the murkiness. I could just let go. It would be so easy to not cling to this emptiness in my life anymore. No more pretending to be normal, no more fighting the pain, just peace. I was tired of being alone but, as I looked into the haze, I knew I didn’t want to remain here either.
There had to be something more, a piece of my life I was missing. The image of “the lover” flashed into my mind. Was there a chance for me to find love and happiness? My grandmother would not want me to give up. She was gone but she would want me to keep going. To give up would mean letting everyone down, even my grandmother. I couldn’t do that to the ones I love. I knew what it was like to lose someone you loved. I would not put my friends or my father through that pain. I felt ashamed that I even thought about giving up. Then from the deep recesses of my mind, sheer will and determination took over. I jerked myself to my feet. I started to run concentrating on every step. I seemed to be going slowly at first, my body felt as if it were pushing against an ocean’s current.
I gritted my teeth as I put my head down. I began to visualize myself closing the gap between me and my goal, the door. I started picking up speed as my feet found the leverage I needed to propel myself forward. I began gaining speed as I ran. I felt relief that the door was almost in reach. I was moving so fast now, I almost felt like I was flying. I knew that my resolve was strong and there was no way that I would fail.
I finally reached the door and pushed it open. Everything stopped. I suddenly became weightless. I was still holding on to the doorknob when my feet were flung out from under me The knob jerked out of my hands and the door slammed shut without making a sound. I was hovering just inches from the ceiling in Alex’s bedroom. I could see myself lying on my back, still in the bed asleep with beads of sweat glistening on my forehead. The moonlight came through the sheer curtains of the bedroom casting a bluish light across the room. Everything seemed to be all right. I just didn’t know how I was going to get back to my body. I couldn’t understand why I wasn’t waking up. It felt weird, floating like this. I was light as a feather when just moments ago I could barely crawl. I watched my body shift a little in the bed, but I still didn’t wake up. I began to wonder if this was more like an out of body experience that a dream.
A few moments had passed as I tried to figure out how to get back to my body. I noticed there was an abrupt temperature change in the room. I could see my body shivering. I could feel the cold but my body didn’t move other than the shivering that was a result of the cold. I didn’t understand what was going on. What changed? Why was it so cold? Why couldn’t I wake up?
From the other side of the room, I saw long shadowy fingers reaching out of the mirror in Alex’s room. The fingers were attached to three sets of ghostly black, bodiless arms that were reaching out of the mirror to my body on the bed. I tried to shout at my body but nothing came out. I tried to push off the ceiling to get back to my body but I couldn’t move. I was terrified and powerless to help myself.
The first set of hands that reached my body wrapped around my wrists. They locked my arms in place. I could feel the stinging cold burn against my wrists. I felt helpless as I watched the attack of my body on the bed. The second set of hands encircled my head. The prick of cold palms pressed against my temples. The icy fingers permeated my brain. The third set of hands lifted my body from the bed. One of its ghostly arms was under my back and the hand of the other arm was on my chest just above my heart. The cold, burning pain was almost unbearable. I was desperately trying to figure out why I couldn’t get to my body. I had to wake up. My body felt paralyzed against the ghostly intrusion that held me captive on the bed.
“Delicious.” I heard a voice whisper next to my head on the pillow.
“Yes.” I heard a different voice on the other side of my body say in agreement.
“And so unprotected!” This voice was different from the first two and seemed to hover over my body. I started to feel the warmth drain slowly out of me as the ghastly hands remained on my skin. I tried to scream. I tried to move. I tried to wake myself up out. Nothing happened. I couldn’t get out of this dreamlike state I was trapped in.
“Her life force is so strong.” I heard the slithery voice next to my head hiss then the voice became more violent, “I want it!”
“Patience sister,” The voice on the other side of my body snapped. “She is not ready for harvesting.”
            “It won’t be long,” the voice that hovered over my body proclaimed, “but not yet.”
            I suddenly realized what was going on. These things were somehow connected to the three old women, the “haggard sisters” from Morah’s vision. How was any of this possible? I didn’t know what to do. I felt helpless and lost. It was in that moment that I realized I didn’t want to die. I wasn’t ready. My mind started fighting against the fear that consumed my body. My thoughts were quick and frenzied. I felt myself becoming angry. I could feel the heat as it began to radiate from the core of my being. It started as a small flicker of warmth. It soon erupted through my seemingly lifeless body. I could see it devour me as the billowing red flame licked against my skin but it didn’t burn.
            From where I hovered, I suddenly felt a sharp pull toward my body. It was as if I had a rope tied around my chest that was being tugged toward the bed. The tugging turned into quick jerks as I inched closer to the bed from the corner of the room where I was hovering. One hard pull and I was shot through the room and back into my body. As the two connected, I could feel the sharp stinging on my skin vanish. The hands instantly let go on impact. I could hear the old women screaming in the distance as I felt them slip away. My body dropped back to the bed with a sharp exhale of breath. My eyes flew open once my head hit the pillow. I immediately sat straight up in the bed as I clutched my rapidly beating heart. In a panic, I flung myself over to the bedside table and cut on the lamp and felt a sense of relief as the light flooded the room. I could feel the cold dissipate as a rush of warmth returned to my skin. My heart was pounding in my ears as I felt the blood surging through my veins. My breathing was quick and sharp at first but as I started to realize I was alone in the room, my breathing slowed down and so did my heart. I sat in the bed listening for sounds but there was nothing.
            I looked across the room and saw the antique full length mirror sitting in the corner of the room. I felt a rush of panic as I looked at my own reflection. Cautiously, I got up and grabbed a throw from the end of the bed. I crept across the room until I was close to the mirror but still a safe distance away. I stood in the middle of the bed staring at the mirror. I felt the fear locking in my joints. With one swift move, I threw the small coverlet over the mirror, as I whipped around quickly and ran back to the bed. I took a flying leap toward the bed once I was close enough, turning around as I landed to make sure that nothing was coming at me from behind. After what I had just experienced, I felt I had a right to be freaked out.
            As I sat there trying to calm down, I thought about the night before. I had been told and shown so much I felt I was in overload. I knew that I had to go see Morah. I needed to tell her what happened to find out what I needed to do. I started to get up out of bed to get ready to leave when I realized it was early morning. It would not be long before the sun came up but it was too early to go banging on the door of someone I barely knew. I also knew that there was no way I was going to go back to sleep. I was too wired and too afraid to close my eyes again.
Alex, Mandy, and I had left Morah’s house around two in the morning and there were still a few party goers celebrating the New Year. Even if there wasn’t a party going on the night before, dawn was not appropriate time for visitors to come knocking on the door. I felt it was better to wait until later in the afternoon to go over to Morah’s house.
             I glanced over at the clock and muttered, “5:30” as I rubbed my hands over my face. I really didn’t want be here in Alex’s apartment. No one would be up for hours. I really wanted to take a shower, and I wanted the comfort of my own apartment. I started to get up and to go to the bathroom but froze as I glanced up at the covered mirror. My heart skipped a beat as I felt the tingle of fear rush over me. This is ridiculous! I thought as I threw my feet over the edge of the bed. Or was it? I jerked my legs back to my chest as I leaned over to look over the edge of the bed to the hardwood floor. I felt like a child who was afraid of the monster under the bed. I couldn’t help but smile at myself, as I shook my head and sighed. Hurriedly, I jumped up, and ran into the bathroom.
            Once finished, I gathered my things and threw my sweatshirt on over my tank top. I decided to wear my pajama bottoms instead of putting on my jeans. After putting on my shoes, I dug a pen and paper from my purse. I scribbled out a quick note to Alex and Mandy thanking them for the perfect evening then cut the light off and tip toed out of the bedroom.
            The apartment was quiet. The early morning light had illuminated the front room and made it easier for me to see my way to the door. I left the note I had written on the bar in the kitchen and let myself out of the apartment locking and gently closing the door behind me. It was a relief to get out of the apartment without waking anyone up. I really didn’t want to tell my friends why I was up so early or why I was leaving so early. I was just glad to be on my way home.
            My own apartment was not far from where Alex lived but it was definitely a lot smaller. It was a one bedroom studio but it was perfect for me and my cat Leo. I smiled as I thought about my cat. I had acquired Leo or rather he acquired me not too long ago. I remembered the day like it was yesterday. It was the day the doctors told me that my grandmother’s condition was deteriorating and it was only a matter of time before she passed. After that, I could recall nothing until I had gotten home that afternoon. I remembered feeling like my heart was breaking. My hand involuntarily touched my chest over my heart as I thought of that dreadful day.
            I recollected walking up the stairs to my apartment and from nowhere, there was a cat sitting outside my door. It was as if he had been waiting for me. He was beautiful white cat with light orange patches across his back and tail with light blue eyes. He was a little bigger than a usual house cat, but I loved him. I remembered thinking it was strange that a cat was able to get in the building and even stranger that he was sitting at my door. I had asked him where he came from and just he meowed at me. I had opened the door, he ran right in making himself at home. I had tried to find his owner but no one had come forth. I had instantly fallen in love with him and decided to keep him.
            I had come up with the cat’s name one night as I was lying in bed. The name “Leo” had just popped in my head. I then repeated the name out loud and the cat meowed as he walked over to me purring. Leo just seemed to fit into my life. We took care of each other. He kept me from feeling completely alone, and I enjoyed coming home to him. I am not sure I would have made it if I didn’t have him in my life.
            As I parked my car, I noticed the pink and orange hues of the scattered clouds in the sky marking the sun rising over the horizon. This was going to be a long day. I was beginning to feel tired and I was hoping a shower would help revive me. I was fearful about falling asleep and shuddered at the thought of it. Quickly, I grabbed my stuff and headed into my apartment building.
            At my door, I fumbled with my keys trying to get my door unlocked. I felt frustrated because I had already dropped my keys twice. I paused and took in a deep breath. I knew at some point I would collapse but not until I got the answers that I needed. I had to stay focused. I put my head on the door, took another deep breath, and tried the keys again. At last I managed to unlock both locks and opened my front door.
Once I was inside my apartment and the door was locked, I set all my things down on the dining room table. “Hello Leo”, I said walking toward him. Without warning, he jumped up into my arms, startling me, and causing me to fall back a step. “Whoa….you must have missed me.” Leo meowed as he rubbed his head under my chin. I reached up and scratched him gently behind the ear. He started purring and somehow I felt comforted. All the panic and fear from the horrible dream was fading away. I was glad to be home, in my own little safe haven where I could let my guard down and relax. Leo rubbed his head under my chin again then jumped down and headed toward the couch.
            I looked around my apartment. I definitely had enough to keep me busy until I went to Morah’s. I began cleaning, deciding to take my shower after I was finished with the chores. There was no point in showering now just to break a sweat working. I let my mind wonder as I cleaned. I wondered if I would ever know who the man was that I bumped into last night. He was so close I could smell his scent and his voice gave me the tingles down to my toes. He smelled clean like soap with a hint of leather and spice. I closed my eyes for just a second, while I gently touched my cheek remembering his warm breath as it brushed across the side of my face. It was nice to recollect but there was no way I would ever find him. There were so many people at that party last night. Anyway, there were more important things I needed to think about, finding love was not one of them. Besides, relationships were just something that never worked for me. Why bother with something that would end up a disaster? I would end up alone with another piece of my heart gone.
            I opened my eyes and looked around my apartment satisfied at the job I had done. I glanced up at the clock and then did a double take. “Oh crap! It’s almost noon!” I said aloud as I took off running for my bedroom. I had intended to leave for Morah’s about one o’clock but I still needed to shower. It was too cold outside to let my hair dry on its own so I would have to blow it dry. One of my least favorite things to do, I thought to myself. I hurriedly stripped out of my pajamas throwing them in the hamper as I turned on the shower.
            I took a longer shower than was necessary. The heat from the water felt so good on my skin that I didn’t want to get out. The warm water soothed my tired muscles and the steam seemed to clear my head. I finally had to force myself to turn off the water. I shivered as I dried off and wrapped a towel around my head and body. I ran into my room and threw on some clothes then came back to the bathroom to dry my hair. I absolutely hated the hair dryer. My hair was so long it seemed to take an eternity to get it dry so halfway through I gave up. “Forget it!” I growled as I yanked the cord from the wall and stuffed the hair dryer under the sink. I was also going to forget putting on any makeup until I looked at the dark circles under my eyes. I had to put a little on because I looked like one of the living dead. I grabbed at my make-up bag and applied just enough to be presentable however I discovered that no matter what I did, the dark circles were still visible.
            I was finally ready and putting on my boots when I glanced at the time again. It was now a quarter after one. I grabbed my coat and ran through my apartment shoving my arms through the sleeves and zipping it halfway up. I snatched up my purse and keys from the kitchen table and glanced over at Leo who was standing next to his food dish. I put my stuff down and went over to give him more food and water. “There you go baby. I will be home soon.” I told him as I scratched behind his ear. I stood and turned back toward the front door just as the phone rang. I started not to answer it because I was in a hurry but changed my mind as I rolled my eyes and turned to the phone. Right before I touched the receiver, Mandy popped into my head.
            “Mandy?” I asked as I picked up the receiver.
            “How did you know it was me? I didn’t think you had caller ID.” She asked
            “Just a lucky guess.” I said even though I wasn’t sure myself how I knew it who was calling me.
            “Well, did you have fun last night?” Mandy asked and I could hear the hopefulness in her voice.
            “Actually I did. That house was incredible.” It wasn’t a total lie. I did enjoy parts of the night but still felt a little overwhelmed from the other parts.
            “Too bad you didn’t meet a cute guy. There were tons of them all over the place but don’t tell Gabe. I don’t want him to think anything even though he knows how much I love him.” Mandy was engaged to be married this summer and I really liked Gabe; he was perfect for her.
            “I won’t say a word to anyone.” I paused for a moment as I thought about telling Mandy about the nameless, faceless guy that I ran into last night.
            “It still would have been nice if you would have found someone. I worry about you being alone.” Mandy said with concern in her voice.
            “Well……I sort of meet someone.” I grimaced as I said the words not sure if I was ready to share something that was really nothing.
            “What! Oh you have to tell me! When? What’s his name? What does he look like?” Her voice was excited as she shouted through the phone.
            “It’s not like that.” I said trying to calm her down.
            “What do you mean? He isn’t a freak is he?” she asked.
            “No, I kind of didn’t see him. I kind of ran into him while we were dancing.” I explained to Mandy about the man I had run into. I described his smell, his touch, and his incredible voice with the English accent.
            “Well that sucks.”Mandy complained then she jokingly said, “We could find every guy from the party, line him up and let you sniff him out!”
            “Ha...ha.” I said flatly glancing up at the kitchen clock. It was almost 1:30. “Hey Mandy, I was just running out the door. Can I call you later?”
            “Sure.” She said and with that we both said our goodbyes and hung up.
            “Ok, now I’m leaving!” I grabbed my stuff and ran out the door before anything else could stop me.
 

 



© 2009 Emmie


Author's Note

Emmie
Here is the revision for chapter 3. I want to thank chamimo or jamesmo for all of your help and support!! With out you, I would be a mess!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this chapter especially how vividly you described the dream. The three women you mentioned made me think of the story about Hercules I love Greek and Roman mythology. I'm not sure if this is the idea you had but the three women in the myth control who lives and dies and it just made me have a flash back. I also love the name of your character Leo probably because of my obsession with the series Charmed on TNT. You are such a great writer and you really keep your readers hooked I hope to read more soon...

Voice/Carol


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 16, 2009
Last Updated on April 19, 2009
Previous Versions


Author

Emmie
Emmie

Nashville, TN



About
I am a wife and mother of 5. I used to write and draw a lot when I was in school. One of my "books" actually became very popular among my fellow students. After I got married and had children, I put t.. more..

Writing
�All day long, they lie in the sun, and when the sun goes down, they lie some more.� ~Frank Sinatra �All day long..

A Chapter by Emmie