A Piece of History, A Touch of Fate

A Piece of History, A Touch of Fate

A Chapter by Emmie
"

Ivy, still in a daze from her nightmare, learns that her family's history isn't quite what she had always been told. The possibility of new love brings in some very harsh memories.

"

 

A Piece of History, A Touch of Fate
It didn’t take as long as I thought to reach the townhomes by the river. I had forgotten about the security at the gate and I didn’t quite know how I was going to get in. I pulled up to the intercom box, rolled down my window, and pressed the call button.
“Yes.” a man’s voice crackled over the speaker,
“Um…I’m here to see Morah le Faye.” I announced leaning my head out of my window.
“Your name?” the man asked.
“Ivy Kelley.” I answered knowing that there was no way I was getting into the complex this way. Maybe I could wait for another car to come and pull through when they do or maybe I could park outside the community and jump the fence. I really wasn’t comfortable with either of these solutions. I sat there waiting on the denial of entry when suddenly the gates clanked and started to open. I was in shock! How did that work? I wondered as I drove through the gates.
Once inside the complex, it took a minute for me to find Morah’s house however once I found it, there was no denying it was the right house. Not only was it unique to the community with its large plate glass windows, there was glittery confetti shining off the walkway leading up to her house. I looked up through the big windows but didn’t see any movement. I had already decided that if Morah wasn’t home that I would wait for a while for her to return. I just had to talk to her. I was a little frightened and I knew she was the only person at this point to understand. I got out of my car and headed up the walkway. I paused at the front door for just a moment before I knocked. I started feeling a little anxious as I waited for an answer. My ears were straining to hear any noise that might be coming from the inside the house that would indicate someone was coming to the door. Maybe I hadn’t knocked loud enough so I tried knocking a little louder. The door unexpectedly opened just a few inches causing me to jump.
“Hello?” I asked but there was no answer. I gently pushed on the door and took one step inside the doorway. “Hello?” I asked again a little louder. “Morah?” I asked as I took a few more steps into the entrance foyer closing the door behind me. “Is anyone home?” I listened but still heard nothing. I walked into the huge living area. There was no evidence a party had even happened here. Everything was remarkably clean. “Morah?” I shouted again. I walked over to the couch by the big front window and sat down. Surely Morah wouldn’t mind if I waited inside for her to return.
I went over and stood in front of the large glass windows taking in the afternoon sun that was shining off the building in the city across the river. Everything was a blur from the night before. It was so unreal and yet at the same time, it all clicked. I still couldn’t help feeling overwhelmed by everything that I had learned. It wasn’t that surprising once I thought about my life and all the little weird things that happened to me. I remembered when I was little and in elementary school. I thought that everyone had my special gift but soon discovered that was not the case. I had made the mistake of asking my friends if they could make things happen. I remembered arguing on the playground about it with a group of kids getting angrier by the minute that no one believed me and the tears that came soon after. The kids began to circle me shouting at me to prove it. I know now I should have walked away but I was so defiant and mad that no one would listen to me. I closed my eyes and concentrated really hard just as an older boy yelled out, “she’s crazy, just like her psycho mother!” I snapped my eyes open in red fury. I concentrated on the kick balls that were on the playground. One by one, the balls started flying forward toward the crowd of kids. I made sure the first one hit the boy who called me crazy. All the kids started scattering and screaming as I heard the bell ring marking the end of recess. All the balls dropped on the playground, lifeless. I lost all my friends that day and began to think that maybe my grandmother was right.
I was teased and tormented off and on until I moved to a different school in 4th grade. Making friends was a little easier when you were not labeled a freak. Still, I was wary of being close to anyone so keeping friends was nearly as hard as making them. So quickly, on that fateful day, I had gone from an outgoing, happy child to a quiet girl who was quiet, reserved, and hidden away in her own shell.
When I met Alex, everything was different. She didn’t care that I was quiet and plain. It was so easy to be normal around her. She could pull me out of my shell and I drew strength from her strong personality. Even though I could be more myself around her, I still never told her about my special gift. I had decided that it could lay dormant and forgotten. I didn’t think Alex would shun me if I did tell her but why risk it. I was happy for a change and I liked the way it felt.
My world came crashing down when my father decided to start traveling with his export business so I moved back in with my grandmother and back to the kids who hated me. At this point, I was entering into Hillcroft Junior High. I remembered my first day, my stomach wouldn’t stop churning. I walked through the front doors of the school not making eye contact with anyone. I slowly began to realize that a lot of the kids didn’t really act like they remembered me. There were a few knowing looks and whispers but people left me alone and I was fine with that. I did make a few friends with some of the outcasts of the school but not anyone that I really hung out with. I still lived close enough to see Alex from time to time so that made life bearable.
By the time I entered into Hillcroft High School, there were so many kids from different areas zoned to the school that the lines between “us” and “them” were further blurred. Then, I met Mandy. She was a more feminine version of Alex and with the same strong personality. She was strong headed and didn’t care what people thought about her. I was different and definitely not popular. I think that’s why she liked me so much. It was nice finally having a friend at school.
With both Mandy and Alex, I never was afraid to be myself, for the most part. I still never showed them anything but normal. I had learned my lesson a long time ago. What they didn’t know wouldn’t kill them or me for that matter. Even when Mandy tried to dabble in a little white magic, I still kept my secret buried deep. I had done such a good job at hiding it, neither of them suspected anything however, now, something had changed. It was almost like I was losing control and it was trying to brim over the edge of my control.
I turned and took another glance around Morah’s townhome. Satisfied that no one was there, I plopped down on the couch. Once I did, I caught the scent of the man I ran into from the night before. It wasn’t strong but it was there delicately inebriating my senses. I inhaled deeply through my nose, taking in his scent in again. Even if it was faint, it was heavenly. I touched my cheek remembering his warm breath as I wrapped my other arm around my waist. I closed my eyes allowing myself to daydream of the man from last night. I smiled as I envisioned myself being held, my back to him and his arms wrapped tightly around my waist.
Then, reality set in as the smile faded from my lips and I opened my eyes. Who was I kidding? It was nice to dream for a moment but the harsh truth of it all was I wasn’t very lucky when it came to love. I had only dated three guys in my life. There was Nick, my “wanna be” rock star boyfriend from my senior year. Boy was that disastrous! I had been used, abused both mentally and physically, manipulated, and humiliated all in the name of love. I nearly lost my two best friends with that one. I know that Alex did something to Nick after he gave me a black eye and busted my lip. I still haven’t gotten it out of her what happened but I saw Nick a year later and he looked like he had seen a ghost. I had never seen the boy run so fast. Alex still maintains that she had nothing to do with Nick or his bizarre behavior.
Then, there was David. He was smooth and I was too blind to see that he was a womanizer. I fell for him hard and fast only to discover after a year of dating that I wasn’t the only one. David had successfully managed to keep up the facade of dating two other women and none of the three of us knew about the others. He became a little overconfident and slipped up by telling me and another woman to meet him at The Rogue which was an upscale restaurant in the city. It wasn’t a pretty site. Later, that same night, I went to his apartment to confront him without the drama and a different woman came to the door. I decided at that point I didn’t need an explanation. I pretended I had the wrong apartment and left. As I rounded the corner, I heard David’s voice.
“Who was it baby?” he asked
“Nobody,” the woman replied as she shut the door.
I left another piece of my heart behind that night. It took me several months to get over David. Again my friends were there through all my crying and Marble Slab Creamery ice cream binges. I had made up my mind to quit dating after that ordeal and I did stay single for a while. I had finally started smiling again when I met Adam. My friends were leery of him but once they meet him, they liked him too.
Adam worked for the same medical supply company as I did but he worked at the corporate office located downtown in outside sales. He was funny and I loved his laugh. He pursued me; doing all the right things a guy should do when he is interested in a girl. It took me awhile to say yes to a date but everyone said I should take a chance. “Go out and have fun” the girls at work would say. Mandy and Alex didn’t care what I did as long as it made me happy. I finally gave in and went out to lunch with Adam. We hit it off and I had to admit that it was nice feeling the excitement of a relationship again. He was very passionate and caring. We never went out much. We usually had dinner at my house and watched a movie. Adam had a crazy work schedule so it was hard to plan anything. It didn’t matter to me as long as we got to be together.
One day, Adam surprised me with plans for a long weekend together at a lake side bed and breakfast that was only two hours away from the city. It could have been two minutes away for all I cared. I was just happy and it was so romantic. We spent most of our time in front of the fireplace and he even talked to me about marriage. I wasn’t opposed to the idea by any means and was ecstatic that he was actually considering it. I felt like it was too soon since we had only been dating for six months but I really felt like Adam was the one. The fact that he was thinking of our future lead me to believe he felt the same about me. We had already declared our love for each other so it only seemed natural that marriage would be the next step.
Not long after we got back, I decided to surprise Adam with a picnic lunch. I had it all planned out. I packed a picnic basket with sandwiches, drinks, pretzels, and fruit, everything we needed to have a perfect lunch. I even made fudge brownies which were his favorites. I was in love.
I told my boss I was taking an extended lunch that day and left a little early for the corporate office. I was so happy and excited about my surprise. I walked into the corporate office with the picnic basket and a huge smile on my face. I really felt like I was walking on sunshine. I took the elevator to the 11th floor and proceeded to make my way to Adam’s office. I had never been to see him before but I had been on this floor plenty of times. I knew exactly where his office was. I rounded the corner and I could hear Adam’s voice coming from his office. I couldn’t help but smile. I thought about stopping outside of his office and wait for him to finish but I didn’t want anyone to see me lingering so I decided to head on down the hall to the restrooms.
I walked past the open door and peered in to see if I could to get his attention, trying to let him know I was here. My eyes fell upon him but I never broke stride. There was a woman in his office, a very pregnant woman. I hurried around the corner and flattened my back against the wall. I knew he didn’t see me. I peered around the corner as I heard Adam’s voice again. “Wow honey, it’s awesome that you came by to take me to lunch.” I felt sick. I watched the two emerge from the office, his left arm was around the woman’s shoulder and I could clearly see the gold wedding band on his finger.
I felt myself start to hyperventilate as I felt the bile come up in my throat. I ran across the hallway into the women’s restroom slamming the door shut and locking it behind me. I dropped everything and fell to the floor, grabbing the toilet bowl, as the contents of my stomach emptied into the water. I really thought I was going to blackout. I flushed the toilet and leaned against the wall of the bathroom. I couldn’t believe he was married and had a baby on the way. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. We never went anywhere, we never talked outside of the workday due to his supposedly busy schedule, and I couldn’t believe I was so stupid.
Tears started to form around my eyes as deep sobs heaved in my chest. “No,” I growled and fought to maintain my composure. I wanted to be able to walk out of here with my head held high. I was mad and I’d had enough. I took a pen and a piece of paper out of my purse and wrote:  
Tell your wife I said hello and congratulations on the baby ~Ivy
I folded the paper as I felt the rage build up inside me. I couldn’t believe I was that blind. I was an idiot but it wasn’t going to happen again. I felt the pen I was holding pop and I instantly dropped it on the floor. Black ink began to spill out onto the tile. I just stood there staring at the thick shiny black liquid as it made its way over the grout between the tiles. I didn’t think I was holding the pen that hard and the pen looked like it was still intact but the ink was still oozing out.
I stood up and carefully stepped around the ink as I folded my note in half and placed it in the picnic basket word side up. I turned to the mirror and fixed my face. There was only a single mascara trail down my left cheek. I turned on the faucet and a washed my hands. After I shook the access water off my hands, I wiped the faded black line off my cheek and smoothed out my hair. I straightened my skirt and grabbed my purse and picnic basket off the floor. I nodded at myself in the mirror as I calmly unlocked the door and made my way back to Adam’s office. I was glad to see that he had left his door open. I walked in, dropped the basket on his desk and left. After that, I refused to take his phone call. There was nothing that he could say that would make this right. There was no excuse and another piece of my heart was gone.
I felt a little sadness as now sat on Morah’s couch recalling my miserable existence. It had been a year since Adam and I had given up on dating completely. I actually ran from it. Who was I kidding? I am a magnet for bad relationships. The guy from last night was just another man who would break my heart taking a piece of it as his trophy. I knew I had to fight back my wants and desires. My heart just couldn’t take any more. I was meant to be alone and I could live with that, just me and Leo. I smiled at the thought of growing old with my cat.
I felt the exhaustion begin to take over. There were so many answers that I needed but I knew I would have to wait. I felt my head nod forward as I snapped it back popping my eyes open for a brief moment. Everything looked hazy as my eyes began to droop sleepily. The warm afternoon sun that fell across my lap wasn’t helping any either. I laid my head back on the back of the couch and closed my eyes. I took another deep breath through my nose taking in the delicious scent of soap, leather, and spice. It seemed a little stronger but it was probably just my imagination playing tricks on me. I tried to fight it but the exhaustion won me over as I sank into a deep dreamless sleep.
 
                 ~ Mason ~
Stepping into the shower, I could help but think of last night. I was so close and yet I walked away. I had thought over in my head a thousand times about how Ivy and I would finally meet. I thought plain and simple would be best. Just walk up to her and say ‘Hello, I’m Mason Brents and I’m in love with you’. Yeah…that was sure to win her over. I couldn’t help feeling nervous at the thought of finally meeting Ivy. My family had watched over her for years, never interfering but always there. I used to think it was ridiculous until the night I saw her beaten and battered. I shuddered against the warm shower water as I thought about that night. That was the night I fell in love with her. Ivy was 18 and I was, God, how old was I. When you had lived as long as I had, you tend to lose count.
I started to move my neck around in the hot stream of water trying to loosen the tight muscles in my neck. I hate not sleeping in my own bed but Morah said that Ivy would be here this afternoon and I didn’t want to leave. I was almost too excited to sleep. After the New Year’s Eve party was over, I cleaned up the mess. I would do anything to keep my mind off the time. I came upstairs to lie down for a minute and crashed. I couldn’t believe that it was nearly 2:30 in the afternoon. I quickly scrubbed from head to toe and jumped out of the shower grabbing a towel to dry off with. That’s when I heard the faint voice of someone in the house.
“Is anyone home? Morah?” I heard Ivy’s voice calling.
“S**t!” I exclaimed as I tried to dry off quickly. I snatched my clean boxers off the bathroom counter and quickly towel dried my hair. I paused for a moment to see if I heard anything downstairs. There was only silence but I could feel her presence in the house. I smiled as I went to the closet and yanked my jeans off the hanger. As I pulled them on, my eyes started scanning the shirts. I started for one and then stopped. I never had this much trouble getting dressed. I couldn’t decide on a shirt. I finally closed my eyes reaching into the closet to grab one. My hand fell on a long sleeve blue button down shirt. Not too casual, not to dressy, perfect. I shoved my arms in the sleeves and rolled the cuffs to just below my elbows. I ran over to the mirror as I buttoned up my shirt. My hair was a mess and still very wet. I ran my fingers though my hair as I tried to get it off my face. I paused for a moment to look back at myself in the mirror doing a quick check. I left the first two buttons undone on my shirt, I didn’t tuck my shirt in, jeans were clean, and then I looked down at my bare feet. I could find my shoes later I decided as I turned toward the bedroom door. “Moment of truth,” I whispered under my breath as I opened the door.
I stood in the doorway listening for any sounds coming from downstairs. I could feel her, she was still here but I didn’t hear her moving around. I quietly stepped out onto the third floor loft that looked over the living area. I saw Ivy and froze. There she was, sitting on the couch with her head lying against the back cushions. I watched her for a second trying to think of how to do this. I didn’t want to startle her. I should have just gone ahead and introduced myself to her last night when she fell into my arms but, Morah told me that it wasn’t the right time.
I remembered when she arrived at the party last night. I was nervous but I wanted to go and talk with her. I had been standing across from the entrance foyer with my back to the door talking with my sister Lucy who was midway through giving me a “pep” talk when she suddenly fell silent. I looked up at Lucy as a wicked smile fell across her lips.
“She’s here,” Lucy said and it was then that I could feel my body pulling toward Ivy. I hadn’t turned around to look for myself and yet I could feel Ivy’s presence. I must have had a screwed up look on my face because my sister threw her head back and began to laugh. Lucy’s laughter rang out across the room as I started to turn around. I only caught a glimpse of Ivy and my heart stopped. She was so beautiful and finally, after all these years, she was just a few feet away from me. I looked back at Lucy who said, “She’s looking right at us.” I looked back toward Ivy again just to see her turn away.
       Now, as I looked at her on the couch below, I was nervous and anxious all over again. I watched as her head slowly fell to the side. I walked toward the stairs and quietly made my way down to the main living area. I walked around the couch expecting to catch her off guard but she didn’t move. Both of Ivy’s arms were folded in her lap, her breathing was slow and gentle as her lip quivered.
“She sleeps,” I whispered as I stood there staring at her. She looked so tired with dark circles under her eyes and yet she looked so beautiful resting peacefully. I took the chenille throw from the arm of the couch and gently draped it over her. So close and yet still so far away. I wanted nothing more than to touch her but I knew that wouldn’t be a good idea. I might frighten her and I really didn’t want to start off wrong with her but, the urge was so strong and she was so close.
I forced myself to walk away and it pained me to do it. The further I got away from her the stronger the pull on my heart was. I went back upstairs to finish dressing. I had waited 5 years to meet her; a few more hours wouldn’t kill me. I knew Morah would be home soon and I knew that we had our work cut out for us. I had no doubts that Ivy could fight. She had been through so much already. I just hoped that she would be accepting of me. Just because I had fallen in love with her, there were no guarantees that she would reciprocate that love. I had to take this slow; I needed to earn her trust.
After I had finished dressing, I went back downstairs and sat in the chair facing Ivy who was still sleeping on the couch. I quietly settled into the chair to watch her as she slept. I could hear soft breathing and every so often a soft moan would escape her lips or her hand would twitch. What I wouldn’t give to be holding her right now.
I couldn’t help smiling as I thought about how crazy my mother was for watching Ivy’s life so closely. I knew that my mother, Carling, and Ivy’s grandfather Cavin were extremely close and they had grown up together. At one point my mother and Cavin were romantically involved but it didn’t last long. They decided that they were better off as friends and for a long time, they were inseparable. I had known Cavin for most of my life. He took care of my mother when she lost my father who was human. That was the downfall to falling in love with a human. Eventually, they died. Witches didn’t die nor did they age, as long as they didn’t practice black magic. That s**t will age you quick.
My mother was born in 1774 but didn’t meet my father, Erasmus Brents, until 1873. They fell in love and were married a year later. Cavin tried to talk my mother out of it because he knew the pain that would come after my father died. My parents were married 28 years and had me and my twin sister Lucy in 1875 before my father died in 1902. My mother grieved for over 50 years and Cavin stayed right by her side. He helped her live again.
When Cavin found Lillie, the roles were reversed. My mother begged Cavin not to go through the same thing she did. Cavin was powerful and there were a lot of women who swooned over him, especially the Witches of Fuamnach, Aerona, Damia, and Quella. They were obsessed with Cavin. It was their pursuit that pushed Cavin into hiding among the humans. He met Lillie and fell in love.
Cavin told my mother that he was renouncing his powers and would remain human with Lillie until the day that they died. My mother was upset about her best friend’s fate but knew if he loved Lillie like she has loved Erasmus, there was nothing she could do about it. Erasmus would not allow my mother to give her life up for him. Once we were born, she knew that she could never let go of her power.
I remembered going to Cavin’s wedding and meeting Lillie. I thought Cavin was a fool for giving up such power for a human but I held my tongue for my mother’s sake. That was the last time we saw Cavin but my mother watched him through the mirrors. Cavin made my mother promise that as long as he and Lillie lived, none of us would interfere. My mother took it hard but agreed but always felt guilty after what happened to Cavin and his daughter. Lillie was a natural protector so Ivy was always safe once Lillie knew what happened to Cavin and Ivy’s mother Sallie. Still, my mother was bound by the promise she had made to Cavin and kept her distance.
Eventually, my mother met and married a powerful wizard named Nicholas LaRouge in 1985. He was a great companion for her but I knew she did not love him like she had loved my father. He didn’t mind my mother’s obsession with watching Cavin’s family. My stepfather was always busy with the Witches Council. My little brother Leo came along in 1990 and he occupied my mother’s time for a while but she never once stopped checking up on Ivy.
I will never forget the day that Ivy got to me. I was walking through my house looking for my mother. I ran into Leo in the kitchen. He was about thirteen at the time but was nearly six foot tall and built like a truck. I was tall and built but not like Leo. I shuddered to think what he would look like when he stopped growing.
“Hey, have you seen mom?” I asked Leo as I walked into our kitchen.
“She’s probably in the study.” He answered as he bit into an apple.
That kid is always eating, I thought to myself as started to head out of the kitchen.
“I heard that!” Leo grinned. I stopped next to him and gave him a playful smack on the back of the head as he began to get up from the kitchen table.
“You maybe thirteen but, you’re too young to look like a defensive linebacker for a bloody American pro football team! Geez, will you ever stop growing?” I teased as I grinned and continued out of the kitchen.
I headed upstairs to the study and I found my mother sitting in her usual chair where she watched Ivy. I rolled my eyes as I entered the room.
“Hey, mom, I…”
“Shhh...,” she whispered to silence me.
“What’s going on?” I whispered as closed the door behind me. My mother was sitting in a leather wing backed chair staring intently into the large antique mirror that hung on the wall. Mirrors were not only a portal for us; they were also used as a tool to view people’s lives. The mirror has to be enchanted with a spell before you could see. Any mirror would work as long as the spell was cast to the mirror.
I let out an exasperated gasp escape my lips as I shook my head from side to side. To me, Ivy Kelley was a little girl and not interesting at all. I was a grown man and had been for over 100 years. I was sorry for what happened to Cavin and his family but I couldn’t help but feel that he has chosen his own fate.
 “This isn’t healthy.” I stated as I looked at the tear that fell down my mother’s face. I walked around to the back of my mother’s chair bringing Ivy into full view. I was shocked to see that Ivy was no longer a child. I don’t know what I had thought but it had never occurred to me that she anything more than a child. I began to calculate the years and came to the conclusion that she had to be about seventeen or eighteen years old. I focused on her lying on her bed curled up in a ball. I thought she was sleeping until I heard the sobbing. I watched as Ivy slowly sat up. Her hair was in tangles and she looked so thin and pale. There was purple bruising on her arm that was in the shape of four fingers. 
I watched as Ivy stood up and put a hand on the edge of the bed to steady her. She slowly limped to the dresser bringing her closer to the mirror. Her hair was in her face and she was looking down. Once she reached the dresser, she slowly looked up and I felt my heart stop. Her piercing green eyes seemed to be staring right through me. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying. There was a faint bluish purple that began to appear under her left eye that was more swollen then the other. She had a cut on her nose and her lips were swollen. Her bottom lip was split and there was still a little blood lingering on the cut.
Ivy began to straighten her hair out and smooth her hands across her cheeks. She gently raised her chin to reveal the purple bruising across her neck as he ran her hand across the discoloration. She stopped and stared again into the mirror. Her face lost all expression. Her eyes looked hollow and dark as huge tears started to spill over her cheeks. She looked lost as she stood there with her lips quivering and tears following.
I instantly felt enraged as I looked at Ivy standing there all battered and bruised. She looked so helpless, as she tried to stop crying taking in deep withered breaths in an attempt to calm herself down. She began raking her fingers through her hair trying to pull out the tangles. I watched as pain and sadness moved across her face as she fought for control. I grabbed onto the back of the chair as I felt her emotions.
Ivy wrapped her arms around her waist, tightly squeezing as her shoulders began to shake. Her mouth winced in pain as the silent sobs sucked her breath away. I watched powerless as she collapsed in the floor. She balled up again with her legs pulled toward her chest as the sobs violently shook her body.
In that instant, I realized that I had been the fool. I now understood my mother’s reasoning. My heart was hurting and my arms longed to hold her. I wanted her to be safe and I wanted to be the one to protect her. She was beautiful despite the cuts and bruises. I wanted to help her but; I too, was bound to the same promise. I was angry at myself that I had agreed to such a stupid thing but, how could I have known that I would ever feel this way. In all my years, I had never felt what I felt now for Ivy. I knew if I ever got the chance, I would make Ivy happy. It was in that moment that I fell in love with Ivy Kelley.
I remembered asking my mother what had happened to Ivy and she said that Ivy’s boyfriend Nick had convinced Ivy to have sex with him. He had proclaimed his love to her and promised her that they would be together forever. Once it was over, he broke up with her. Ivy had tried to beg him to tell her why and that is when he unleashed on her. That was when I decided to make a little visit to see Nick. It wouldn’t be interfering because he and Ivy weren’t together any more. Nick was clearly fair game.
I smiled at myself as I remembered sneaking into Nick’s room. By the time I was done with him, he had become a praying man. I chuckled as I thought of him on his knees praying for me not to kill him. I had given him the illusion that I was a demonic vampire and as I held him by his neck with his feet dangling off the floor, he pissed his pants. I had to put him down and leave before I blew my cover. I had to fight the urge to laugh as I gave him warning that I would be watching and vanished through the mirror in his room. Needless to say, he doesn’t have that mirror any more.
I watched Ivy from time to time over the last five years. I didn’t feel right invading her privacy but, I always checked in on her. It hurt when she would fall for someone because I wanted her for myself. I had finally decided that as long as she was happy, I could live with it. One day, I would no longer be bound by the promise we made and I would be free to pursue her. It was still difficult watching her continued heartbreak. The men who took advantage of her, the mother she could never be with, her grandmother that was slowly dying, and her father who was always gone. I was thankful that she at least had her friends.
I had a hard time dealing with not stepping in. I argued with my mother and sister about it. I wanted to go to Ivy but my family said it wasn’t time yet. I knew that Ivy was losing Lillie and that Lillie’s mind was nearly gone. I felt that Ivy would need me now more than ever, to hell with the promise! I wanted to comfort her and make her whole again. I was tired of waiting. My mother wouldn’t bend.
Several months ago, I was sitting up late with my brother Leo playing poker. He knew how I felt and he had come up with a plan to help. Leo had been working on his shape shifting when he came up with the idea. He said it wouldn’t be breaking the rules if he interfered.
“I didn’t promise s**t!” Leo exclaimed as he shuffled the cards. “It’s simple. I’ll shape shift into a house cat. Girls love that s**t!” He grinned.
“I don’t know.” I said as I pondered the possibilities.
“It’ll be cake man! No one will ever know.” He said as he playfully hit my arm.
“I can’t see you as a cat. You’re too big… a lion maybe, but definitely not a house cat.” I mused.
“Whatever man, I can do it. Watch me,” and with that, Leo threw down the cards. He leapt out of the chair and transformed in front of my eyes into a rather large house cat as he hit the floor. He meowed at me as I laughed. Just has quickly as he had changed into a cat, Leo transformed back into human form.
“Ok…ok…I’m convinced!” I chuckled as Leo took his seat and picked up the deck of cards again.
“O ye of little faith,” he scoffed. “I can be there for her at night and on the weekends and during the week, I can go to school. I’ll use the mirror to get around.” He smiled at me, “I got this s**t all figured out.” He leaned back in his chair with a smug look on his face.
“No one is to ever know we did this.” I said as I leaned forward.
“You won’t hear me tellin’,” he grinned. I couldn’t help but feel a little better. It would only be for a short time and if it helped Ivy, it would be worth it.
"And no looking at her naked!" I exclaimed thinking how comfortable Ivy would be around a house cat.

"Dude! That's just gross! You can think of her however you want but, to me, she's like a sister! I'll behave, I swear." Leo grinned as he playfully pucnched me in the shoulder. I smiled back at him as I rubbed my shoulder. I knew I could trust him but, he was still just a teenager with raging hormones.

 

 

The plan worked beautifully for a while but, now that Lillie was gone, even her friends couldn’t pull her out of her sadness. Having Leo there with her did seem to help but she was too broken now. I watched her fake her life to the public eye but I knew what happened behind closed doors. I knew that when she was alone in her room at the end of the day, she would let all the pain and anguish take her over.

My Aunt Morah, who was my mother’s sister, came to visit when Lillie died. She said that she had seen that New Years Day would be the day I would finally meet Ivy for the first time. Morah said that any time before that day would not be favorable. I trusted her and felt comfort in the fact that my waiting and patience was coming to an end.
Now, as I sat in front of her, watching the colors of the setting sun dance across her, I felt my heart soar. She was so beautiful. I couldn’t believe that I was only a few feet away. What if she didn’t like me? I dismissed that thought quickly, that just wasn’t possible. I loved her and I would do whatever it takes to be with her. I felt the connection last night as I touched her skin. Surely she felt it too.
I looked up to see Morah stepping out of the room at the base of the stairway. She smiled at me and motioned that she was going upstairs. I nodded as I felt a rush of excitement. Morah was back so it wouldn’t be long now. I leaned back in the chair and I put my elbows on the armrests as I rested my clasped hands on my lips. This had to go well.
 
Ivy ~
I didn’t know how long I had been asleep but I must have been dreaming because I could still smell the scent of the man from last night. I inhaled deeply through my nose taking in the glorious smell as I stretched my arms over my head. I began to surface more into consciousness when I realized that the scent was still around me. My eyes flickered open and I was shocked that it was so dark outside.
“Hope I didn’t wake you.” It was that voice, the one that belonged to the man from last night! I jerked my head toward the direction the voice had come from. There was someone sitting in the chair directly across from me. I could make out a man but still couldn’t see his face.
“Who are you? What are you doing here?” I was shocked at the panic in my voice.
“Maybe I should be asking who you are and what you are doing here.” He mused mockingly. The man stood up from the chair and turned to pace across the room. He was tall and his hair came to about mid neck. I strained my eyes against the darkness to see what this man’s face looked like. I could tell he was wearing a blazer and a light colored shirt but it was so dark, I couldn’t see any facial features. He paused and looked at me.
“I was looking for Morah le Faye.” I stated.
“Ah….you were.” I could hear the smile in his voice he turned himself toward me and put his hand on his hips. “But that still doesn’t tell me who you are.” He pointed out.
“You still haven’t told me who you are!” I snapped back.
“True.” He said turning to pace back in the other direction. ”Quite a predicament we’re in here.” He folded his arms across his chest. He turned toward me again waving his hand in the air. “How do you propose we solve this?” he asked. “We could draw straws or flip a coin.”
I didn’t know what else to say. After everything that had happened in the last twenty-four hours I didn’t know if I could trust anything anymore. I suddenly felt very uneasy as I shifted myself on the couch. I contemplated going home but what if this man wouldn’t let me leave. I feel my heart begin to beat harder as my breathing quickened. Maybe it would be best if I did leave, I thought to myself as I shifted to stand up.
“Oh….wait, you don’t have to go.” I looked at him is shock. Did he hear me or was it my movement that gave my intensions away? “I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable. I know you have been through a lot.”
I stopped moving and sat there speechless. How did this man know anything about me or what I was feeling? My head started to swim with panic. I wasn’t sure how much more my mind could take. Any moment it could snap.
“How ‘bout I cut on the lights and you can see that I am not anything for you to be afraid of.” I watched him reach over and flip a switch on the wall. As the light filled the room it took a second for my eyes to adjust. I looked back over at the man whom I had been talking to and became grossly aware of how of how handsome he was. Besides being tall and well dressed, he had dark hair that was perfectly tousled on his head, a square jaw, and a fading tan. His eyes were a haunting color of bluish-grey and he was nothing short of beautiful. I realized that I had been staring at him and was suddenly embarrassed. I could feel my face getting hot. I heard him chuckle as I force my eyes to the floor and I fidgeted with the throw on the couch. “Perhaps you would like something to eat or drink.” He said still smiling trying to calm my uneasiness.
“No thank you.” I grumbled still embarrassed. I could not believe I was acting so ridiculous! I was acting like a twelve year old foolish girl gawking at an attractive boy. What was wrong with me! I felt I had to concentrate on every breath because I was so nervous.
“You’re cross with me.” He stated. “I didn’t mean any harm.” He spoke as he walked toward me. “Let me break the ice here by introducing myself. I am Mason Brents.” He said extending a hand to me. I stood up and warily moved my hand to shake his.
“Ivy Kelley.”I choked out as his hand gripped mine. Exhilaration flowed through my body as our hands touched. My heart fluttered against my chest as I smiled at him blushing. I was so mad at myself for not being in better control of my emotions. As I pulled my hand back to my side, I glanced up at his eyes and for a split second, it looked like he felt it too.
“I see you have met my little marvel!” I heard Morah’s voice behind me. Mason took a step back as I jumped turning to see Morah.
I hesitated for a moment and then began my apology. “Morah….Ms. le Faye, I am so sorry. I came here to see you and the door opened.” I felt my words were running out in a jumbled mess. “I came in to wait for you and then I accidently fell asleep. I didn’t mean….I mean I didn’t want to….” Morah held up her hand to silence me, saving me from blundering through any more half formed sentences.
“My dear, call me Morah,” she smiled. “You are always welcome here. I knew you were coming so I merely asked the door to open when you arrived.” Morah smiled at me as she walked toward me. She ran her hand down my arm and grabbed my hand.
I wasn’t sure I heard her correctly. “Asked the door?” I repeated puzzled. “How is that possible?”
“There is much to talk about and not a lot of time.”Morah squeezed my hand as she looked at me apologetically. “We now know that the Witches of Fuamnach have found you.”
“The Witches of Fuamnach?” I asked. “Are those the three old women from your vision?”
“Yes, they are the sisters from my vision and their names are Aerona, Damia, and Quella. The sisters have come to be known as the Witches of Fuamnach.” Morah let go of my hand and sat on the couch.
“That’s what I came to talk to you about, well one of many things. I saw the three old women, the sisters you showed me last night. They were in my dream. It was so real and freaky. I was outside of my body but I could feel them touch me. They said I was not ready for harvesting.” I shuddered remembering the cold sting of the witches’ touch on my skin and the way they hissed when they spoke. I looked at Morah and could not ignore the look that she shot over to Mason who was now sitting in the chair across from us.
“Sit down my dear.” Morah said as she patted the seat next to her. I glanced over at Mason who was watching my every move. I felt nervous and my stomach was queasy. I slowly sat back down on the couch and turned my attention to Morah. She began to speak again. “Your grandfather Cavin was a powerful wizard. He was also very attractive. Aerona, Damia, and Quella all fought over him each believing that one of them would win him. Your grandfather was not interested in any of them even though back then, they were very beautiful. One day Cavin decided to hide among the mortals to get away from the three sisters and that is when he saw Lillie, your grandmother. Cavin instantly fell in love with her.”
“Lillie was a protector and could see a glimpse of the future but did not like to use her gift. She loved your grandfather but would not marry him until he agreed to forgo his powers and live here with her. Of course your grandfather agreed.” Morah smiled at me and then the smile faded from her lips as she continued. “Cavin and Lillie had a daughter, your mother, who was beautiful and bewitching. From a very early age, your grandmother sheltered your mother. She tried to hide the fact that your mother had powers, just like she did to you.”
“It wasn’t until after your mother was born that Aerona, Damia, and Quella learned that Cavin and Lillie had married. They came here to see for themselves. Once the rumor was proven true, their jealousy consumed them. They went home and began plotting against Cavin and his family. Their evil turned them bitter and drained them of all of their beauty.”
“Cavin had begun to age because he had chosen the mortal way of life. Your mother had married and had given birth to you when the sisters came back. The three of them tormented Cavin until he had a heart attack and died. Lillie didn’t know about the sisters or that they had anything to do with Cavin’s death. She mourned and grieved over your grandfather. She didn’t know the truth about his death.”
As Morah spoke the underlying dark history of my family, I felt tears start to sting my eyes. It was so horrible that I didn’t want to believe it but I knew it had to be true. I looked back over at Mason for a second, he was still looking at me but his expression had changed to one of pain and concern. I turned back to Morah as she finished her story about my family.
“After you were born, your mother’s gifts came flooding forth causing her great confusion in her mind. The sudden onset of her powers was too much for her fragile mind and it snapped. Your mother thought she had sinned against God and could not overcome the immense feelings of guilt. Since she had no control over her gifts, it made your mother a stand out like a beacon in the dark sea. The sisters easily found her. They tortured your mother’s mind just by appearing to her and whispering horrible things in her ears. The tormenting visions caused your mother to lose her sanity and she had to be committed.  Your grandmother found out what had happened to Cavin by listening to your mother’s ramblings one night in the hospital. Once Lillie found out that the sisters had killed her husband and were after her daughter, she knew it was just a matter of time before they found you.”
“Your grandmother researched how to protect you and did a simple incantation to protect you and your mother. Lillie wasn’t a witch, but she knew that we existed and that even humans could perform simple magic. It was too late to save your mother. The damage was already done however she was able to protect you fully from the sisters. Now that Lillie has passed, that circle of protection is broken. It didn’t take long for the sisters to see you. That’s how they found you last night.”
I sat there silently crying as I realized that the sisters had hurt everyone that I loved. I felt so helpless and alone. I realized why Morah referred to my grandmother in her vision as “the protector” and why she referred to my mother as “the withered soul”.
“Here, love” I heard Mason’s voice as I turned to see him with a box of tissue. I nodded and gave him a partial smile.
“Thanks.”I said taking the tissues. Mason sat down on the arm of the couch behind me.
“You always knew that there was something more to you than just chance or coincidence. Too many things have happened for you to ignore but your grandmother’s protection kept you from truly seeing what you were really capable of. You are a witch and are capable of mystic power. Your gift is strong and that is one of the reasons why the sisters want you so badly.” Morah said as she gently touched my arm.
“You see we think that the sisters are not only seeking revenge but they are also seeking to obtain your powers. The Council believes that the sisters have murdered others for their powers but no one has been able to prove it.” Mason spoke behind me. I turned to look at him. “Your gift is very powerful. We think that your grandfather channeled his power to you when he died. Your powers may have no limit but we aren’t sure yet.” Mason glanced at Morah then back at me. “We do know that most people of our kind have to concentrate on spells, you merely have to pull the energy around you, like its second nature. Now, you need to learn to channel it properly for the desired out come.”
Everything Mason told me made sense and I knew what he and Morah were telling me was all true. I thought about how I knew who was going to call, the strange hesitation in the mirror, and the glass that cracked at Alex’s house. It was all part of my power.
“We need to work quickly though.” Morah said as she stood up and walked over to Mason.
“It would be easier if we crossed over to my house.” Mason replied
“Wait…what do you mean ‘crossed over’?” I asked as I turned to look at both of them.
“No, she needs to be comfortable. She needs to be in her own home,” Morah said as she shot a glance to Mason, ignoring my question.
“I don’t understand. Will someone tell me what is going on?” I asked with my eyes wide in disbelief.
“I need three days to prepare.” Morah announced. I looked back up at her and she was staring blankly out the big front windows. “The sisters are plotting they’re move. I don’t see anything happening soon. I need to seek the Witches Council.” She then turned to Mason. “I want you to go back with Ivy. Keep her safe. She has questions that you can answer. You can train her to control her gifts. She trusts you and she….” Morah stopped and snapped back to reality turning to look at me. I blushed as I realized what she was going to say. It was only too obvious since my behavior had given it away.
I sheepishly looked at Mason who sat there like a perfect gentleman. Maybe he didn’t feel the same way I did. I had acted so stupid it wouldn’t surprise me then I noticed he blushed slightly and looked down at his hands. I smiled and looked away. Don’t get your hopes up, he’s too handsome to be interested in you I told myself as I stood up. I then heard Mason chuckle.
“Ok…well...”I said as I walked around to the back of the couch. If he could hear my thoughts then I had certainly just embarrassed myself.
“I’ll follow you home then if that’s ok.” Mason looked at me smiling
“Sure” I answered. I quickly grabbed my purse and started digging for my keys.
“Mason.” I heard Morah say. ”Please give us a moment dear.” I looked up to see Mason nod at Morah and the walk out the front door glancing at me as he went.
I looked up at Morah as she spoke. “You can block your thoughts.” Morah said. Now I was really embarrassed because they had both heard me. “You just have to not concentrate so hard on what you are thinking about. Keep it light.” Morah then placed both hands on my shoulders and pulled me to her to hug me. “He’s safe, you can trust him, and yes, fate has brought you two together.” She whispered.
I hugged her back and then pulled away and walked toward the front door. I paused as I glanced back to smile at Morah. I turned and walked out into the cold night pulling the door shut behind me.


© 2009 Emmie


Author's Note

Emmie
This chapter is the longest one yet. It was also one of the hardest ones. I will hopefully have chapter 5 completed soon. I want to give a special thanks to chalimo or jamesmo for all of his editing!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

451 Views
Added on April 19, 2009
Last Updated on April 23, 2009
Previous Versions


Author

Emmie
Emmie

Nashville, TN



About
I am a wife and mother of 5. I used to write and draw a lot when I was in school. One of my "books" actually became very popular among my fellow students. After I got married and had children, I put t.. more..

Writing
�All day long, they lie in the sun, and when the sun goes down, they lie some more.� ~Frank Sinatra �All day long..

A Chapter by Emmie