Dear man with the tumor,

Dear man with the tumor,

A Story by Erika

To the man I have passed by, with feet that turn back when you walk forward, and a tumor almost the size of your face on the side of your neck:


I am sorry.


You probably don’t want my pity, but my money or some miraculous way of finding 

somehow/somewhere where you can get care, love, and the necessities of life.


You might want my smile " my “Yes, I see you”. Or maybe you don’t want my smile. Maybe the unintentional effect of my smile is that you see a vazaha whose smile looks arrogant to you. Or maybe it looks full of pity to you. Or maybe you think it is fake.


Should I tell you a secret? I never ever want to be or be perceived as arrogant.


Should I tell you a truth? My smile is full of pity and hopelessness, and yes, to some extent it is fake. A smile can cover up tears. I am sure you already know this.

I feel sorry for you and I wish there was something I could do, but I don’t know the language, I can only help indirectly (through other people or organizations). I wouldn’t know how to help.


Should I tell you a secret? I hate pity. It is kind of code for “I am sorry, but I don’t know what to do and besides I am too scared to act because it is not through a structured organization or job or anything, and there’s the infamous ‘what will people think’, so I’ll just let you suffer on and not speak out because I don’t know how or where or what to speak out and act”.


Should I tell you a secret? I feel guilty " guilty for not acting (even though I don’t have much choice as to how to act).


So, I will just smile. Sometimes, instead, I will will just look your way, or have an expression of “sorry” on my face and body as I walk past.


When I smile though, I hope that all you see is “she sees me”. I am human. I am worthy. My life matters. I can have hope. And then, I hope that God’s love can rain down on you, and you will experience hope.


I am sorry I cannot help you or speak with you, but know that you have changed my life. It hurts to see your situation, and I don’t want you to suffer. If I cannot help you I want to keep smiling and find an arena where I can partner with Christ in sharing love, hope, and the truth that you matter " the truth that everyone matters.   

© 2016 Erika


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on December 14, 2016
Last Updated on December 14, 2016
Tags: sorry, asking forgiveness, guilt, expression, justice, oppression, power, dignity, fighting, helplessness, hope, love, smile

Author

Erika
Erika

Norway



About
I am a student and a dreamer, an introvert, and now stepping out of my comfort zone and into the unknown world of sharing my thoughts through poetry and writing. more..

Writing
Dagen Dagen

A Poem by Erika