Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Erin Winter
"

A tyrant tries to wipe out hope in the beginning of his tyrannical rule, unknowingly following a prophecy that predicts his downfall.

"
I guess it's important to start with my name, as I was present for many of the occurring events and my name will come up more than a few times before the whole long tale is over. My name is Erin Winter, and I know that the one writing my story will have taken my name by now to keep those who wish to keep this story a secret from finding her. The secrecy is necessary, because unlike some tales, this one is the truth. And the one who pens my words and actions for me has experienced the whole journey with my best friend and I as if it were her own. Out of respect for my mentor, I asked that my friend the writer would begin with the sacrifices made by her. She has generously agreed, even placing my introduction next to it. With that said, I think I'll let her tell you why I'm so important in this story that is more than a story.


At first no one realized how dangerous the Shadow King was. He seemed so good, with his broad shoulders and strong face. There was no way he could be as evil as his name suggested, no way he could be manipulating the forbidden element. He was good.

He hid his misdeeds from the people so well, there wasn't a single thought of him being false in anyone's mind. He was beloved by all save for a single, small group of people.

The people were called the Guardians, and they existed to fight the darkness, to train in the ways of light. But people had forgotten their true purpose, and the Shadow King used the growing dislike of them to pass a series of laws limiting their power.

For the Shadow King, this was only the beginning. Word began to spread that armies were being sent out into all the living realms (in our world, countries) in order to make them a part of the Shadow King's territories. At that point, he was so beloved that no one cared.

Thus it became so that when he finally struck, none were capable of opposing him. The Guardians, who were the only ones who would have had a chance, were so separated by the harsh laws imposed on them that when he came to them, they were alone, and they died alone.

Normal elements were no match for his shadow manipulation, and a light bearer hadn't been seen outside of the Guardians in years. It was only when the last one died that the people, shivering and afraid, realized that light elements hadn't been seen since just after the Shadow King's rise to power. They realized their folly too late.

The Guardians were all but finished. Ziran Orendo, leader of the Guardians, knelt down by his youngest child, Jamari Orendo, and quickly told her what she had to do. He said afterward, "Jamari, you were always destined to be the greatest of all of us. Wait for the girl, and never forget the seal that will show the truth. Now run child, and don't look back! We will keep your brother's forces from coming after you until you can get to safety! Run!"

So she ran. She ran toward the river, where she could form a water portal to take her to the Boundless Forest, a place where trees and other plants grew so thickly, it would be madness to try and tame it.

She almost made it to the river unopposed. She was just about to make the portal when her brother's forces caught up to her. They surrounded her, black horses roiling in what seemed to be a single, unbroken chain. She lept to the top of the low stone wall and stared at the arrogant men. Then, dodging a clump of earth hurled at her with otherworldly force, she gracefully swept into the river and was gone.

"Well, what are you waiting for, you degenerate lumps? After her!" Now, go-----"

"No." Cut in a new, cold voice. "Let her go. If she hasn't made a water portal by now she's already dead. No need to waste the men too."

The men dispersed. The Shadow King knelt by the river, hand just under the rippling surface. "Take care Jamari. This is the only gift I can give. I shall miss you now that this is good bye." He whispered so as not to be heard. But she still heard him, dragging herself out of the river more than 200 miles upstream, she heard enough of his missive to know to weep.

Her brother was truly dead. There was only the Shadow King left now, and until the girl came, corruption would race over the earth, and misery would reign over all.

She was the Last Guardian, and as such held the knowledge of her people, the knowledge of the world, within her fragile body. Jamari knew this knowledge had to be protected for the One Who Would Cause the Darkness to Flee, so she fled. For her life and the lives of all who wited in darkness for the return of the dawn, Jamari Orendo fled.


© 2014 Erin Winter


Author's Note

Erin Winter
Feel free to leave any constructive criticism or comments.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was an excellent start; you've certainly captured my attention, and I look forward to reading more.

"Thus it became so that when he finally struck..." This bit sounds a little odd to me; you might consider rewording it a bit. ?
"...when he came to them, they were alone, and they died alone." The double usage of "alone" causes this to sound a little redundant. Perhaps a little reworking, here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very nice and original, a wonderful start that draws you in. Loved the elemental 'magic' especially. My only suggestion would be a slightly larger font, as some of us are middle aged and don't see small fonts as well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erin Winter

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm really hoping it'll turn out well, I've been thinking about this story for quite some.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 15, 2014
Last Updated on May 5, 2014
Tags: Shadows, elements, powers, faith, hope


Author

Erin Winter
Erin Winter

Houston, TX



About
I'm just a new writer looking for something to help me get started. I have a lot of interesting ideas, influenced by everything from my friends to Doctor Who to Warehouse 13. This gives me a chance to.. more..

Writing