Identity crisis

Identity crisis

A Chapter by HalfBloodPrincess

 They drove in silence, me just staring. I hadn’t even realized my hands were bound, which didn’t make much sense, there were two of them and the way Dominic lifted me told me he could easily take me out if he wanted to. I wasn’t heavy to begin with, but I was still good enough for my height. Dominic turned around and lowered his gaze to stare into my eyes, “I was hoping you would have had the guts to speak up instead of stare for the past twenty minutes.” He smirked. I guess he had sensed me staring; he reached around and grabbed me by my hospital shirt to lift me up right. “Now, that you have no pressing engagements please explain to me who you are.” He demanded, jerking me slightly by the neck, “I don’t understand, I told you I’m Will Haven.” I answered breathlessly. “I want to know which one you were!” He shouted at me. I stared at him blankly, “I don’t understand,” I whispered, my eyes widening at the anger displayed in his. He let me go and turned around. I shrank back, what was he talking about? Who I was, it didn’t make any sense. I just sat dumbfounded for awhile, I looked at the clock and saw it was a little after eight in the morning, we had driven all night.  I sat up a little and stared in front of me in Blake’s direction.  His hair was very light near white, and his dark sunglasses didn’t help hide his dark expression. His clothes equally as dark, he glanced at the clock. I wanted to question him about everything, but found that he wasn’t the one I should be asking questions. “Do you know who I am?” Came Blake’s silvery voice out of nowhere, I looked at him strange and he must of taken note of my reaction. He laughed a little, “of course you don’t.” He said more to himself than to me. I guessed Blake had judged me as one who could be trusted because he untied my hands. We drove for nearly a half hour, what is it with these men and silence, while much appreciated most times I did wished they would converse with each other so I could get some information as to their intentions. I looked out the window again, it seems they still believed I was someone else, or they would have let me go. I figured as soon as we got to where we were going I would try to get away. I would make my way to a phone and call for help, or maybe someone would recognize me, a person who got nearly drowned doesn’t just walk away in the middle of the night. The hospital had to have called the police or something. While these thoughts didn’t calm my pounding heart they did take my mind away. I hadn’t realized how tired I still was, and didn’t notice that I had fallen asleep until I woke up as we were pulling to a stop. It was three in the afternoon; I had slept for a long time which is highly unusual but given the circumstances I didn’t really care. I tilted my head up to look out the window for a sign as to where we were, we had to have left Maine hours ago, but I hadn’t seen a road sign or anything, a lot of help that would do for the police if I couldn’t even identify my surroundings. We drove on, headed in an unknown direction; I still wasn’t sure what part of the country we were in. I kept my eyes peeled for any signs indicating where we were headed. I relaxed a little into my seat and stared out the window, my breathing slowing. We had been driving for several hours before I realized we were headed for New York. The statue of liberty growing more prominent in the distance, this relieved and upset me at the same time. Though I wasn’t far from home I was still worried, New York was filled with millions of people my name would be lost among them.

 

~Welcome~

We drove deep into the city; Blake had sped up as soon as we had crossed the bridge. I tried making out street signs as we passed, but the light was fading and the signs flew by.

I leaned back in my seat and held the bridge of my nose, I hadn’t eaten probably couldn’t if I tried, but I began to feel light headed and dizzy, I shut my eyes for only a few moments, but when I looked up I didn’t see the same over crowded streets and backed up traffic. We drove into a parking garage, we wound the corners very quickly, it seemed as if they were in a hurry, we kept going speeding up as went, down lower and lower.

 

We were on the last level or so I thought. We kept going speeding through the near empty garage, Blake was headed straight for the cement wall in the back pedal pressed to the floor, I tried to brace myself for the impact even though I knew I wouldn’t walk away from it, I had made peace with this a long time ago. I shielded my eyes waiting for an impact; I saw the cement wall through the crack in my hands, only ten feet away, the crash nearing. But, instead of colliding with the wall Blake managed to come to a smooth stop just inches from it. I unclenched my stomach muscles and let out the breath I was holding. Blake got out of the car and around to my door, he swung it open and grabbed me by the top of my hair and threw me to the ground, he pushed my arms against my back and bound them again, dragging me to my feet and shoving an old sack over my head, lucky I wasn’t claustrophobic. He kicked me forward and I walked blindly until he grabbed me and steered me. I hadn’t noticed until we started moving that we were on an elevator, it sounded very old it could have been a service elevator like one that could go to lower levels with a key. We rode the elevator for what seemed like a long time before finally getting off. Blake shunted me forward and I tripped out of the elevator, I landed on carpet instead of the hard floor I was expecting, the floor felt like it was carpeted, we weren’t any ordinary basement. I scrambled to my feet and kept walking forward, my feet not making a sound on the soft carpet. The room or hallway we were in was silent, it wasn’t that late in the day, but it was almost like the place was asleep. Blake steered me left and shoved me into a chair, I heard a door click and was left in silence. I tried to undo my tied hands and figure something out. “I wouldn’t try that if I were you, you wouldn’t get very far” Blake said casually. I immediately stopped I didn’t realize he had stayed. Now was my chance I was just as much of a burden to Blake as he was too me, if I could just convince him I was the wrong guy, my name was Will Leon Haven, my biological parents died when I was born and I was adopted by Leon Haven and later Tara in all sense of the word they were my parents, I had never been or ever would be Wesley or a Price. I was told my real parents weren’t of any real importance so they couldn’t be acting on some dying wish of a great uncle who wanted to see his nephew. “Blake, let me go, I’m not who you’re looking for, my name is Will Haven, I live in Brighton, Maine I’ve never been further than Ohio your making a mistake,” I pleaded even though I knew there was probably no chance of them letting me go now, I had seen their faces, what they had done to Nicole. This had to be some twisted mind game, I almost wished a camera crew would pop out and tell them I had been scared straight or some s**t. Blake made no reply. The door was opened, and this time I listened carefully for the sound of footsteps, I could just make them out. “Remove his blindfold” Dominic ordered. Blake removed the bag from over my head, the light blinded me a little, I had to take a second to adjust my eyes to the rooms white walls. The room was empty aside from the chair I was sitting in, it was fairly large. I looked at Dominic and he was holding a girl tightly by the arm. She could have been my age or a year younger, her hazel colored eyes stunned as she stared at me.

She looked so young and innocent; it reminded me painfully of Evelyn. She was wearing a long satin dress, which clung perfectly to her lithe figure, her deep brown hair hung loosely curled down her back; she looked almost elegant like royalty somehow. I stared sweat dripping down my forehead. She mouthed something under her breath and struggled to step forward, but Dominic quickly snatched her back, Blake stepped forward and gave Dominic a stern look, which was the first time I had seen him object to something Dominic was doing, it was almost like he was protective of the girl. Dominic whispered something in the girl’s ear which made the tears welling in her eyes spill over. The girl nodded at Dominic and he released her, “Ileana who is it?” Dominic asked, but she either didn’t care or had not heard. The girl called Ileana ran to me and wrapped her arms around my shoulders, and pulled my face towards hers; she kissed me nearly a dozen times, my face growing wet from her tears. I thought it better not to struggle against her and give her the moment. “Oh My son, my son,” she cried. She continued to hold me. I stiffened, her son, she must be mental I was older than her I must have resembled one she had lost.

She continued to cry into my shoulder, she leaned up to kiss my ear, and whispered something to me, “Don’t tell them anything, I will find you tonight.” Her voice was not what I had expected; it was soft, yet sounded wise. I stared puzzled, Dominic strode over to her and grabbed her up, and he gave her a questioning look, “It’s Price, my Price, and he’s alive.” She sobbed. Dominic knocked on the closed door behind him and someone came in and drug Ileana out of the room, she looked back at me and her dark eyes flashed me a knowing look. Dominic turned to me, with a smile. “Now that’s settled, if you had just told us who you were we wouldn’t have had to go getting your mother involved now would we.” He smirked. My head was spinning once again; he looked up at Blake and then walked over to untie my hands.

 

“You’ve had enough of an adventure for the day, Blake, show him to his room, and I would like it if you paid a visit to Ileana tonight.” Blake motioned for me to follow him, and I rubbing my wrists followed. The main hallway had a dark wood floor, but a black rug ran up and down it, the hallway was lit by candles that ran along the walls. Blake led me to a room at the very end of the hallway; I had to take a moment to register what I saw. The room was huge, a four poster bed sat in the middle with a large armoire in the side, for some reason mirrors covered the walls and a chandelier hung from the ceiling, we had to be several feet underground and there was some sort of house or mansion down here. “Fresh clothes in the dresser and the bathrooms to your left.” He said, I started to walk away, but Blake grabbed me and spun me around, he punched me right in the jaw, I flew to the floor and grabbed my face in agony.

My head spinning, I focused my eyes on him, he was searing with rage, his nostrils flared and his blue eyes burning. “I’m glad your back Price, but if you do anything to cause your mother harm I will personally kill you.” He seethed; he turned on his heel and walked out. I got up and headed for the bathroom, my mind was reeling, me Price, my mother a girl barely older than I, and men who killed young girls and drank their blood. I put my head in my hands and let the water run over me. How did I live and who were these people claiming me to be someone else, I racked my brain for answers but came up blank. I turned off the water and quickly dried and dressed in the new clothes much similar to my old ones, trying to ready myself for whatever was next. A knock on my door made my heart skip a couple beats, I let a breath and turned to open it slowly, I looked down to see Ileana; she walked past me straight into the room. She paced back and forth, biting her upper lip thinking hard.

“Well don’t just stand there close the door.” She ordered impatiently, I obeyed and went back to watching her. She stopped mid pace and stared at me, she smiled, a smile of affection and came to me again, “I knew in my heart you were alive” she whispered, “I’m not Price or Wesley,” I said taking a step back, my rage boiling over and feeling like finally I could be in charge, with no one around who was bigger or stronger than I, “my name is Will Haven, I was abducted from a hospital in Maine,” I nearly shouted, “Now will you please explain to me what is going on!”

I breathed, tears sprung to her eyes and she took a step toward me but decided against it and stepped back, “No you’re not.” She let out a sigh and sat back on the bed “your name is Price Berrisford, you were born midnight, August first 1904, I bore three sons that night to a man named Vince Berrisford. Our sons were called Vince, Wesley, and Price.” She sighed, she opened her hand to reveal an old black and white photograph, I hesitantly walked over and looked in her outstretched palm, Ileana stood unchanged in appearance except for her clothes, she was dressed in a white gown, with gloves and a hat, and she looked like she stepped out of an old black and white movie. She sat waiting to board a ship titled the Titanic. She was holding a young boy in her arms, with dark hair and familiar silver eyes, pointing to something in the distance, on either side of her stood two other boys identical in every way to the one being held in her arms, waving goodbye to whoever they were leaving behind. I started to feel dizzy again, I wobbled toward the bed, Ileana looped my arm over her and tried to support me to the bed, “now you see, they will use you to find Vince, but you must not tell them where he is, it’s too dangerous here in New York for you, with the face you have.” She whispered, the rest of her words fading from me as I collapsed on the bed, the last things I heard were the gentle hum of her voice.  

 



© 2008 HalfBloodPrincess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on August 14, 2008
Last Updated on August 18, 2008


Author

HalfBloodPrincess
HalfBloodPrincess

Bakersfield, CA



About
Writing is a huge part of my life, I love to write mainly fantasy and supernatural mixed in with romance. Big fan of JR Ward and the BDB! series, and pretty much of just reading the genres I like to w.. more..

Writing