Ich-du, Ich es.

Ich-du, Ich es.

A Poem by ettorney
"

I/you, I/it

"
Per chance a rainy day I see
The time the space the eternity
Per chance we meet when you see me and I see you
Ich-Du

You are a necessary person,  a tool for me to use
Let me get just what I want before you learn my ruse.
Nothing more and nothing less
Ich-Es

No strings attached, no qualification
We realize infinity, no objectification
Two strangers on a train when you see me and I see you
Ich-Du

My selfishness is poking through
As human beings we seek Ich-du
But live our lives with nothing more and nothing less
Ich-Es

This existential quest I seek
Ich-Du. Ich-Es. Ich-Du. Ich-Es. Ich-Es more often when I speak
Never have I been so stressed, dehumanized in loneliness
Ich-Es


© 2010 ettorney


Author's Note

ettorney
This is a way too deep existentialist poem based on the writings of Martin Buber a 20th century existentialist philosopher. I've copied the link to the Wikipedia section that I got my information, ahem, inspiration from. Credit to Wikipedia. Oh and one more thing. Bennett Logan thanks for pointing me to him! Ich-Du!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Buber

Scroll down about half way for the meaning of Ich-Du and Ich-Es.
Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
... well ... i think martin buber would be proud of this one ... if he ever got a whiff of it ... i just visited the link you provided and he seems to have contributed immensely to "religious existentialism" ... your poem is beautifully written ... the flow of words is just stupendous ... so lyrical ... a rare treat for the soul ... and one line ... is just absolutely brilliant and shatters glass ... "Never have I been so stressed, dehumanized in loneliness" ... it's just incredibly profound ... this poem is an amazing read ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is amazing. Extremely deep and very well said. Thought provoking, and eye opening. Though I would like to think that I embrace the Ich-Du, the truth is our lives are a duality of Ich-Du and Ich-Es. I guess the difference is knowing the difference and recognizing it. Hmmm....

When I read a poem and I get a break of goosebumps and a slight eyebrow raise, it's a sign that it has touched me deeply. This poem has done that for me. Thank you. I came and read and left with a little something today. :)

Oh, and you've gotta love Wikipedia.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is so wonderful and educational as well
I like this write alot.


Posted 13 Years Ago


Brilliant! All I need now is to know what to do with this new found insight. Thanks.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
... well ... i think martin buber would be proud of this one ... if he ever got a whiff of it ... i just visited the link you provided and he seems to have contributed immensely to "religious existentialism" ... your poem is beautifully written ... the flow of words is just stupendous ... so lyrical ... a rare treat for the soul ... and one line ... is just absolutely brilliant and shatters glass ... "Never have I been so stressed, dehumanized in loneliness" ... it's just incredibly profound ... this poem is an amazing read ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 17, 2010
Last Updated on May 17, 2010

Author

ettorney
ettorney

Chicago, IL



About
I love to write. I love the process of writing. I’ve been gone from writing for a decade! Time to get back on the horse, don’t ya think? Although not perfect myself, I hate bad gra.. more..

Writing
Too Chicago Too Chicago

A Poem by ettorney



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..