1.

1.

A Chapter by Evey

The boy, barely seventeen, 15 years younger than Hayden, skinnier, paler, in every sense much less imposing than Hayden, walked with a pretentious air around him, moved with it, spoke with it, and was getting in Hayden's nerves. He had to listen to this boy, obey him, as if he actually respected him. Hayden had been in the organisation ever since he was seven, he'd sworn his life and his every decision to the oath of protecting the ideals of the organisation. Now, in his 32 years he had a respective position, the hand of the director, Reese Nephton, the most respected director since the first. Hayden respected her more than he respected the organisation itself, he followed her commands with ease, and never had he felt opposition to what she commanded, never it was, until this moment, when the respected and often feared, Hayden proudly thought to himself, Hayden Lynch had to babysit a cocky little blue eyed boy who walked as if each step made the ground turn gold. His jaw tensed as it often was and his fists clenched so as to resist the urge to punch the boy in the face, Hayden walked the long corridor beside the boy trying to ignore what his gut was telling him to do. He tried to resist the urge by thinking of something else. This was actually something that was very easy to do. The world as he knew it was coming at an end, the war was in a very precarious situation, and despair was in the face of every person in Ahn, it wasn't hard for him to distract himself in trying to figure out what it was that he could do. But the problem wasn't the lack of a solution, the problem lay in how little that solution appealed to him. 

Finally they came to a halt when they reached the grand hall, the doors were closed, Hayden had always found it amusing how imposing these were meant to be, for him they'd always seemed ridiculous. Tall, like all the ceilings in this building were, made of mahogany wood, and inscripted with tenebrous drawings, of fighters killing each other, blood, detached heads. For Hayden, who'd actually seen the war and fought, these drawings were absurd. He looked to the boy beside him, hoping to see him flinch in fear or disgust, so he could have a laugh, but surprised to see his face mimicked his own, amusement. For a second their eyes met, but Hayden soon turned to the door and opened it. He did not want to have anything in common with the cocky baby. The doors opened with their usual creaking and thumping sound, showing the luminous room behind them. Hayden walked the long white corridor to the other side of the room, where Reese Nephton was sitting in her chair. He stopped in front of her, and their eyes met, Hayden knew his emotions would be clear, and Reese responded his silent dread with a mocking wink. She turned to the boy.

- Lionel Rickon, we've heard a lot about you. 

Her tone was her usual inexpressive flatness, not showing admiration, or disappointment or surprise, Hayden often admired her ability to do that. He knew it was part of the reason why she'd gotten so high, how perfectly she controlled her emotions, many people doubted she had any because of that, but Hayden knew Reese Nephton like few people did. The boy kneeled slightly in a gesture of respect, Hayden was glad he was at least capable of that, but even in that half-kneel, his cockiness was transparent. Reese answered his gesture with a slight nod and her unchangeable mask of inexpression.

- It is an honour to have been called, Director Nephton.

Reese changed her position slightly as she readied to talk. Hayden tensed in expectation. The day before they had talked about the decision she would make, Hayden begged for her to reconsider, begging was not something he did, but the situation at hand he wanted to avoid at all costs and was ready to humiliate himself a thousand times for her to reconsider. But he knew her well, and by her position, already he knew what she'd say. Hayden's body tensed and his stomach turned at the though of it. 

- As you very well know fighter Rickon, we are as you might say, in dire straits. The war is stagnating, and with it, all treaties are wavering, soon, and I fear maybe sooner than we even fear, things will turn for the worse, and we will be unprepared to face the change. Our forces are scarce, our people frightened and weak, and all our hope resides in the strong hands of you fighters. But, it is not enough. The situation has become worse than what even the most excellent fighters can handle. We need something else. We need the fallen, and for it, we need their mother. 

Hayden's body tensed harder in hearing the mention of her, his throat clogged, his body warmed up as his anger rose.

- No.

Hayden knew what he had just done, he knew how it would be seen, and knew the consequences it would have, but these people were talking of the mother without knowing anything of her, he was the only one that knew her, and he would rather suffer hell than have her corrupted by the fighters of Ahn. Everybody in the great hall looked at him in shock. The rows and rows of counsellors sitting in it surrounding him reaching as high as the ceiling, he could sense the hate of their eyes on him. The boy looked as shocked as the rest, but Hayden was only looking at Reese, and she was looking at him, her face unchanged. She was not shocked because she knew what this meant to him. For a long moment they looked at each other, in silent conversation. And finally Hayden gave up. He looked away from her eyes, he knew it was the only thing left to do, and he did want to save the people of Ahn. Reese continued her previous explanation as if uninterrupted.

- Fighter Rickon, will you take the task of getting her? My hand will take you to her, and he will be in charge of convincing her, but, if things were to fail in the diplomacy field, you would be in charge of bringing her to us. 

Reese's tone was final, and every word was like a dagger to his heart. 

- Gladly, director Nephton.

The boy answered, accompanying it with a courteous bow.

  - Very well, you will proceed with your task immediately, but before, hand Lynch….

She did not have to say nothing at all, the look said enough. She turned to leave the grand hall by the back door and he followed. After going through the door he followed her through the corridor until she came to a halt. She stood straight, and turned. He looked at her. 

- How could you do that?

She accused him.

- Were you surprised?

Reese scoffed in frustration, he took one step towards her. 

- I will accept any punishment you think is appropriate.

Hayden could see her roll her eyes. These moments with her were precious to him, to see the human side of the mystical creature who was Reese Nephton, he could see how much she hated it, that she showed this to him. He also knew, how much she needed it, a person to which she could be human, which is why she was hurt. 

- I will not punish you. You are the only one who can bring her to us, you are the only one who will make her the fighter she can be. You are the only one who can make her be our mother. You are too useful to us. 

Hayden nodded.  - But, I need to know why. 

Her voice cracked in her last exhale of truth behind her usual commanding cold tone.

- You need it? As the director?

Hayden knew how disrespectful this had been, how unfair he was being. With his words she took a quick step towards him and angrily raised her hand to punch him, he easily moved to evade the punch, grabbed her hand strongly and pinned her to the wall. She breathed heavily, blowing air on his face as they looked at each other. She was frowning, frustrated, angry, miserable, he knew how terrible she felt. He looked at her, his face unchanged waiting for her answer. Even though he knew how much it would kill her to say it, nothing could stop him. Her breath started to calm itself, she looked at him firmly, her carbon eyes trembling with emotion.

- I need it, my soul needs it.

Hayden didn't move from his position, both their bodies completely in contact one with the other, his hand on her wrist tight, the other on her waist. 

- I would do anything for her. Anything. 

He put all his feeling in his words, as he always did, the conviction with which he spoke, it was the first thing Reese had praised about him, it was also the first thing she'd criticised. That's how she'd always treated him, a praise within a critic. Nothing was perfect. She was the reason he had become so strong, her praises, her critics, her constant disapproval. She had made him the best fighter in all the organisation, the best councillor, the best hand. And she had fallen in love with him, but all he saw in her was his teacher, he respected her, admired her, and would give his life for her, if it wasn't because his life belonged to somebody else. Reese Nephton never dared show any emotion, but to Hayden, she was an open book, and with his words he could see the trembling light of her carbon eyes cracking. He let go of her and took one step back. Immediately they both resumed their usual parts. Her emotionless face, his mystic expression. 

- You will go with Ryder, he will take you to the plaza and from there you walk. Guide the boy, he's never set foot outside of Ahn. 

With that she turned and carried on walking through the corridor, Hayden looked at her walk away. She was wearing her usual uniform, tight black from top to bottom, it favoured her figure, showed of her sexy silhouette. Her straight jet black hair was tied in a high ponytail reaching her waist, and it moved from side to side as she walked, her steps resounding in the vast corridor. And with one last sigh he turned to go. 



© 2014 Evey


Author's Note

Evey
Sorry for two things in everything I write: Titles and Chapter organisation.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on March 17, 2014
Last Updated on March 17, 2014


Author

Evey
Evey

Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain



About
I am nineteen years old, about to turn twenty and already feeling old. I like writing, wether it's poetry or prose, a novel or just a scene, an essay or just a dream. I've never published anything in .. more..

Writing
Today Today

A Poem by Evey