2.

2.

A Chapter by Evey

He reached the parting room where he knew the boy would be waiting. He was sitting in one of the benches, he raised his head when Hayden stepped in. Hayden looked at the boy from top to bottom. His black hair tightly put, his dashing white and gold uniform, his cape. Hayden couldn't hold a laugh and he chuckled, the boy looked at himself. 

- What?

He looked accusingly at Hayden. Ryder entered the room and came to Hayden, he put a comprehensive hand on his shoulder and they looked at each other for a moment, then Hayden waved his head towards the boy.

- Do you have some clothes for prince charming over here?

Ryder looked at the boy and laughed. Hayden could see how annoyed the boy was, and he saw a slight movement in his arm. Hayden moved fast and in a split second was standing in front of the boy holding his arm and pinning him to the wall.

- What do you think you're doing, boy?

The boy struggled to get out of his grip, frenzied in anger. Hayden looked at him, the angelical looking boy fighting like an animal, this was what the organisation did, turned boys into fighters, and left no room for anything else. This was what they wanted to do to her. His stomach twisted and his throat clogged. After a few moments of struggling and heavy breathing the boy started to relax, until he panted on Hayden's grip.

- Are you calm now boy? This is not war, you do not kill every man that annoys you, you better control that.

The boy looked at Hayden, his deep blue eyes clouded with hate. Hayden's heart quenched. FInally he could sense the boy's body was calm, his breathing still agitated but normal, his heart easy going. He let go. The boy immediately caressed his wrist as he looked accusingly at Hayden.

- My name is not boy. And I deserve to be respected, I'm the youngest fighter to ever get my scores and i.-

Hayden shook his head and scoffed.

- I will call you by your name if you so wish it, but that does not mean I respect you. Respect is earned.

The boy's body tensed, preparing to launch. Hayden looked at him menacingly. - And you will not earn it this way.

The boy and Hayden looked at each other for a long while, locking eyes. Until Ryder put a hand on Hayden's shoulder.

- Yeah, sorry to disturb you but we gotta go.

Ryder's usual carelessness relaxed Hayden, it was his escape route from this tensed world, and more importantly it was what connected him to her. Ryder handed a bunch of clothes to the boy and he grabbed them, examining them with disapproving eyes. Hayden rolled his eyes and followed Ryder to the vessel, before he passed the door he turned to the boy.

- Bo- Lionel, put those clothes on and then meet us here.

The boy nodded, then Hayden closed the door behind him. The adjacent room was what held the vessel, the connecting ship from Ahn to the regular world, Ryder was the only one who knew how to control it, and Hayden was one of the few to ever use it. Ryder started to work on his things, as Hayden sat on his usual seat. After a few seconds Ryder was ready to go, Hayden was about to complain over Lionel's tardiness but he showed up, the civilians clothes looking awfully striking on him. Ryder and him exchanged a glance with raised eyebrows and then laughed, the boy noticed it and frowned.

- What?

He spat with his annoyed tone.

- You look much less like an annoying brat with those clothes on, that's all. 

Hayden could tell the boy was actually flattered by the comment. He went inside the vessel, and Hayden could tell he was completely disoriented. Hayden would've offered to help if it wasn't because he knew that would have been counterproductive. Luckily the boy was a fast learner, and just by looking at Hayden figured out what to do. The trip was like it always was, a few bumps along the way but otherwise the usual feeling of floating in darkness, when they finally got there the lights in the vessel turned on, Ryder spoke his usual comment and Hayden undid his seatbelt. Then he turned to the boy, who was sitting in his seat, his hands gripped on the handles, and his body tense, his pale skin even paler than before, his eyes wide shut. Hayden remembered the first time he'd travelled in the vessel and felt sorry for the kid. After a few seconds the boy opened his eyes, and when he saw everybody was already of the seat he vastly undid his seatbelt and tried to play cool. When he got off the vessel he tripped on the floor, then staggered a few steps, tripped again and puked on the floor. The boy was on his hands and knees and panting heavily, Hayden reached for him and put his hand on his back. The boy quickly winced it off and sat on the floor defensively.

- I'm fine.

Hayden raised his arms in sign of defence.

- Ok. 

Then he stood to talk with Ryder about logistics. After that Ryder left and Hayden watched the vessel go. Then he turned to Lionel. He was breathing normally now and finally standing, the colour was back in his lips and cheeks. 

- Not bad.

Hayden acknowledged the boy, Lionel scoffed.

- Sorry we can't all be as brilliant as you.

He spat out, Hayden laughed. Lionel looked at him angrily.

- The first time I came here I puked for about an hour, the world was spinning around me, my head was killing me and I had no control of my body whatsoever. It took me about three hours to finally stand. You took about.. what? An hour and a half?

Lionel slightly smiled at that. He had reason to, Hayden was understating how ridiculous his first time had been, the boy was stronger than he'd thought. It's a pity all that what makes him strong is pride. 

- So, are you ready to walk?

Lionel looked at himself and then breathing heavily moved one leg, than another and started to walk slowly.

- It's the change in gravity and the speed of the vessel, they leave you worn out like a pulp. Don't hesitate to tell me when you want to stop.

The boy nodded, then Hayden started walking. He knew the path so well, he cherished it, but this walk was killing him, every step getting him closer to her, but closer to the decision that had been made. On the corner of his eye he could see Lionel struggling behind him, and knew he'd had enough, he was probably exhausted and hungry but too proud to admit it. Hayden approached Mitchell's the burger bar two blocks away from her house.

- Want to stop for some burgers?

Hayden gestured the bar as he turned to Lionel.

- I can still walk.

Lionel managed to say between pants.

- I'm sure, but you'd walk better with a burger in your stomach, trust me.

Hayden walked in the bar, Wanda came to greet him, her curly red hair bouncing as she ran to him and screamed his name. They greeted each other with a short hug.

- She's not here, she's probably home, though.

- Oddly enough, I'm actually here for a burger, my friend here's never tried one.

Hayden looked at Lionel with a grin on his face, knowing Wanda's kindness would play him a nice joke. Wanda went straight to Lionel and grabbed his hand, he was startled and for a second Hayden feared his joke might go array when he saw Lionel's look, but luckily after looking at Hayden's expression, Lionel calmed himself. Wanda dragged Lionel to one of the booths and sat him down.

- You've never tried a burger before? Well you're in for a treat! I'm gonna make sure your skinny bones get a little fat in them!

After that comment she hurriedly went to the kitchen, Lionel had a disgusted look on his face that made Hayden laugh, when he heard this Lionel looked at Hayden angrily.

- Relax, she means no harm I assure you. 

- Are all civilians like that?

Hayden laughed.

- No, Wanda's over enthusiastic, but they are all less uptight than us if that's what you mean.

Lionel looked puzzled, his hair was wet in sweat and his face pale. Hayden looked at the seventeen year old boy, and for the first time really admired his strength. Wanda was soon back with two big club burgers and a two jars, one with water the other with juice. Lionel looked at the plate shocked. Hayden laughed, then started to eat his hamburger so Lionel could learn how to do it. He learned soon and by the speed in which he ate Hayden could tell he enjoyed the burger as much as he did. After an impressive short while Lionel finished his plate and started drinking water, after a few glasses that he gulped with equal speed he lay back on his seat and sighed.

- They're good right?

Lionel nodded with a smile, Hayden finished his burger and then paid for the food, then they both stood to leave. Wanda walked them to the door. Hayden looked at her.

- She's home then?

Wanda nodded, her curls bouncing of her head.

- She'll be happy to see you! That girl needs a little bit more fun in her life! 

Hayden smiled painfully. 

- Nice to meet you too!

Wanda screamed looking towards Lionel, he didn't even smile, he simply turned and left, Hayden looked at Wanda apologetically then left too.



© 2014 Evey


Author's Note

Evey
Sorry for two things in everything I write: Titles and Chapter organisation.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on March 17, 2014
Last Updated on March 17, 2014


Author

Evey
Evey

Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain



About
I am nineteen years old, about to turn twenty and already feeling old. I like writing, wether it's poetry or prose, a novel or just a scene, an essay or just a dream. I've never published anything in .. more..

Writing
Today Today

A Poem by Evey