Part 12: An Affair

Part 12: An Affair

A Chapter by E.V. Black

 

            “Listen up.”

            The entire Ravenclaw team halted their current activities and descended to the ground. I touched down swiftly onto the ground with my Firebolt, my Quidditch robes flapping around me in the cold winds. Some people shivered while others hugged themselves tight to keep their body heat in. I wondered how this would take.

            Shrugging deep into my robes, I listened attentively as Blakely spoke.

            “You’re all doing an excellent job in your training. I’m proud to call this team ours. Bit of advice: try your hardest on what you think you fail at. It might just turn out to be your greatest strength. Improve the smallest details you find faulty; trying is all I ask of you all. This is not for the Quidditch Cup, but for our pride as a whole house. For the pride of Ravenclaw and her heirs!”

            The entire team cheered.

            “Whoo!” I whooped, smiling widely at Blakely. His eyes sparkled in admiration at our team spirit. I cast a grateful glance his way; he caught it and acknowledged me with a bobbing nod up and down.

            “Now…make Ravenclaw proud! Go and practice!”

            Still whooping with spirit, we all took to the air once more.

            Earlier in the evening, I had discovered a strange book; though intersting, in truth it was actually really boring because it told me nothing else but what it wanted. Obviously it was triggered by the events that were happeing to me at that time. It only made sense.

            Once again I pushed my goggles down over my eyes. The snow landed on my skin and melted from my body temperature. I was sweating hard and my nose was running. I kicked off the ground and zoomed up into the air, relishing the feeling of euphoria that often came from flying. The gash of my head itched like crazy; I wanted so much to scratch at it, but I couldn’t because both of my hands were gripping my broom.

            It was hard to see the sky, nonetheless other team members, through the heavy snowfall. I saw something flash brightly in the corner of my eye. Gotcha!

            I swerved from my original path and headed straight for what I thought to be the Golden Snitch. And my guess was right. The Snitch fluttered right ahead of me, weighed down slightly by a little snow. I leaned forward onto my broom and accelerated. The Snitch flew away from me. I followed it around eagerly in a circle.

            I drew closer and closer to it until it was finally within reach. I streched out my right hand. The Snitch dodged it and I held empty air. I tried again and quickly snatched it up. I smiled happily. If it had been a real match, Ravenclaw would’ve won.

            I landed on the ground, exhausted and cold. Cold sweat matted my forehead; my hot skin blazed with a scorching flame from within. I inhaled and exhaled hard, gulping in freezing hair and almost shuddering from its purity.

            “Done, Vela?”

            Blakely appeared in front of me.

            “Yeah…can I go?”

            “Yes…one thing, though.”

            “What?”

            He seemed to hesitate for a minute.

            “You’re a…a…a good flyer…”

            “Oh…thank you…”

            “You can go. Good job today.”

            “Thanks. Um…have a good holiday.”

            “Sure…you, too. Happy Christmas.”

            In the changing rooms, I changed into more suitable clothes for the weather. I pondered Blakely’s strange behavior for a few minutes, but quickly brushed it aside.It was probably just nothing.

            I ran to the entrance to get warm and have dinner. The corridors were half-empty; I rubbed my hands together to heat them up. I stepped into the Great Hall where the students that belonged to each house were chattering happily among themselves. I looked around for Cho, but I failed to find her. Wanting company, I sat down at the end of the table and helped myself to dinner.

            I chewed slowly, my hunger quickly extinguished as the warm food slid down my throat. I sighed to myself, savoring the rich taste, grinning. I felt a thump on the bench next to me.

            Leaning over my food, I asked, “So, where were you?”

            Gulping down some hot cocoa, I turned to look at Cho.

            She sheepishly smiled. The vibes from her aura were very tense. She was still very unsure about me.

            “Just…talking with my other friends.”

            “Okay. Just wondering.”

            Cho lowered her head and helped herself to some food.

            “Cho, is something wrong? You know you can tell me anything. I know I can do the same with you.”

            “It’s…nothing.”

            “You know you can’t hide anything from me. What’s wrong?”

            “The others don’t want me to hang out with you,” she uttered quickly. Thankfully, I understood her.

            “Any reason why?”

            “They think you’re…weird…”

            I chuckled to myself.

            “That’s it? Heck, by the way you were acting I thought it was something worse. I know I’m weird! Just look at me. You don’t see any other kids in this school wearing all black, now do you?”

            Cho smiled weakly at my comment. She seemed to have attained more confidence now that I had reassured her.

            “Cho,” I addressed her, “don’t let them get you down. Just tell them if they don’t like you hanging out with me, then they can just go to hell, the b*****s.”

            “Drea!” she scolded. But she was laughing at my appalling use of words.

            I lifted my glass to my lips.

            “Well, they can!”

            “You’re so evil, you know that?”

            “So they tell me!”

            We both ended up in a hysterical fit of quiet giggles. Her aura pulsed strongly with the loyalty and warmth I had known the first time I arrived here.

 

____________________________

 

            “Harry, what do you mean?”

            “Hermione, both Drea and I could be in real danger! Why don’t you believe me?”

            “If you’ve ever read Hogwarts: A History, which I highly doubt, you would know that not even Lord Voldemort�"oh please, Ron, stop whimpering!�"can penetrate the magical boundries of Hogwarts. It’s just not possible!”

            Hermione looked at Harry knowingly.

            “Well,” said Ron, “what if it’s some new doo-hickey or something? Maybe that’d work.”

            Hermione rolled her eyes.

            “I keep telling you, it wouldn’t work! Nothing would.”

            “Then how d’you explain how Voldemort’s getting to Drea from within the castle?”

            “How do you know if it’s even Lord Voldemort---Ron, quit it!--? It could be any number of jealous girls trying to get their way with her!”

            Harry knew that Hermione’s suggestion would be more likely to be true since all the boys in school, including him, lusted after Drea. Especially Malfoy.

            “As much as you might be right…my instincts point to Voldemort.”

            “I’ve had enough of this. I’m going to bed,” Ron whimpered. And he quickly trudged up the stairs to the boys’ dormitory. Hermione didn’t pay any mind to him as he departed hastily. She stared at Harry in sheer exasperation.

            “I keep telling you, Harry, it isn’t possible.”

            “I know. But if there was a way…”

            His mind flashed back to that moment when he ran into Drea before. A lightblulb lit up somewhere in his brain.

            “Hermione,” said Harry, “I think I know how Voldemort’s been getting to Drea.”

            “You do? How?”

            “Someone here at Hogwarts serves him. Maybe it’s Snape�"”

            “Harry, Snape’s apart of the Order. It’s not likely that he’d even attack Drea.”

            “Right. Bad idea. But it has to be someone who knows her…maybe someone who she trusts.”

            “Who?” asked Hermione.

            “That’s what I’m wondering,” Harry replied.

 

__________________________

 

4th January, Wednesday, 1902

 

My dear sweet Diary,

 

          It is the New Year! I wonder what the new year will bring? New friends? A new family member (infant, of course)? I go back to Hogwarts today, so I will be so overjoyed to see my dear friends Amarillis and Emilia. Such sweet, sweet people! I couldn’t ask for anyone better than those two! They are my best friends out of all the ones I have. I shall miss Julius. If I have not mentioned before, Julius is one of our loyal human servants. He is a squib (such a shame) and is not able to perform any magiv. I grieve this one fact about him, but for the overall fact…I feel something for him. He had been with us ever since I was a baby, son of one of Father’s right-hand men that advise him in business. He is eighteen while I am sixteen. I do not know how I have never noticed how handsome and dashing he is beofre last year. His eyes light up just so much when he is happy that they sparkle just like the evening stars; his hair is a silky gold that hangs slightly over his (rare) purple eyes.

          And did I mention that he is also very charming, as well? Well, he is. Very much so, in fact. I have no idea whether he loves me as simply a sister or maybe something more…I am so thankful that he gave you to me to write my deepst secrets in. Julius is the best cook and adores children and animals (especially dogs!).

          It is almost near time to go, so I have to put you away for now in my suitcase. The next time I update you, I shall be at Hogwarts!

 

My sincerest wishes to you,

Valonia Faye Cachet Jonquil Vela

Daughter of Duke Eleaszar Hesperus Philemon Vela

Duchess of Raven’s Helm

 

_______________________________

 

            The holidays came quickly and almost everybody left Hogwarts to visit their families. Just a good number of my fellow pupils were left behind. I felt sad when I overheard how the others would be so happy to see their families after such a long first half of the year. The reason fro this was because I knew that I didn’t have anyone to go home to.

            I reminisced over the first time I had stepped foot in Hogwarts. Then everyone was so fascinated by me, but now I just the freak that everybody hated. Even as I sat beside Cho with her other friends, I didn’t need to use my empathy ro know that I was basically unwelcome. Even Cho’s other best friend Marietta was tense. After as taking as much as I could, I stood up and excused myself from their prescence.

            “But where are you going?”

            “Just to get a Potions report finished. You know how horrible Snape can be with homework over the holidays.”

            Cho looked remorseful, though, as she said, “Yeah…”

            She still cared for me, yes, but she was afraid of what her friends were thinking. I pursed my lips tightly at the thought. At least she’s guilty, though, because that means she cares. And I know deeply. We’re as close as sisters and I know she’ll be loyal to me despite all our petty fights and squables. She’s a good person, and I know that for a fact.

            Absentmindedly, I headed for the direction of the outside doors. As I pushed them open, a blast of cold air chilled me to the bone. My color changing cloak, which I was wearing at that minute and was a rippling silver today, swirled around me along with my hair. Shutting the doors, I wrapped my cloak around my pale shoulders and arms. My knee-high skirt only kept a certain part of me warm, aka my hips. Few students, if any, roamed about outside. Those who had stayed to spend the holiday were inside where they could be warm.

            I, however, preferred the cold…to a certain extent, though. I am human after all.

            I lifted my silver hood and dropped it onto my raven hair, which was now tangled from the wind. I was freezing, but at least there wasn’t anyone there to leer at me or spit venomous names in my direction. And, just as I was beginning to enjoy myself, a familiar person dressed wholely in winter entire appeared in front of me, grinning mischeviously.

            “What, Draco?”

            Draco’s grin grew even wider.

            “Is that any way to talk to your superiors?”

            I scoffed. “You? My superior? Since when did that happen?” I retorted.

            “Since I became prefect last year, I’ll have you know,” he said in a tone that was serious, But his eyes, nevertheless, weren’t. I could feel him taking in my whole appearance. I felt disgusted. I wanted to push him into the snow and beat him to a pulp. Fortunately, though, I was able to keep my revoltion down. Instead, I made my eyes and entire face as grim as possible. Immediately, as always happens, he drew his eyes up to mine and was slightly spooked.

            His ice-blue eyes matched my own silver ones in comparison in beauty. And I could easily see how his eyes, too, became serious. And for some reason, too, I didn’t know why, my heart gave a tiny jolt. I really don’t why because I usually hate Malfoy seeing as he’s as he’s a complete pervert and all, but…he was actually pretty gorgeous when he was acting serious. He also looked a lot more mature. He towered over me by just a couple of inches. Malfoy’s fear turned into something deeper. He seemed to grow entranced even more so by my eyes. A flicker of something I can only call attraction resurrected in my heart. What was I even thinking? Me in love with Draco? Totally impossible, but I learned, that no matter what House you’re in, we’re all human in the end, wizard or Muggle.

            And I seemed to be thinking along the lines of just that when I lost myself in his eyes.

            “And what did you do to even achieve that position?” I murmured softly.

            “Why is that any of your concern?”

            “Is it a crime to be curious?”

            “Not so…is it a crime for you to be so beautiful?”

            And for some other strange reason my heart began to hurt. Or ache is more like it. Is it even possible to like more than one person at a time? I suppose so…because I usually hated Malfoy, but I think secretly I’ve always liked him. I’ll even admit it because it’s the truth.

            My pink cheeks, flushed from the cold, reddened even more. My face probably looked like one big tomato, and my nose was probably red along with my ears. I don’t know how I could possibly beautiful looking like this. But somehow he thought so.

            A tendril of my now wavy tangled hair escaped from my hood and cascaded down upon my cheek. Draco apparently noticed this and shifted his eyes to it and gently brushed it away with the lightest movement. His fingers breezed slightly over my skin; a tingling feeling rushed over the spot where he had touched me. My heart practically stopped and I was at a loss for breath. Draco tucked the ebony lock behind my pink ear and shifted his gaze back onto mine.

            God, this is it. I know it. I can feel it coming. He’s going to kiss me. I just know it!

            For once I wasn’t revolted by that fact; I was actually sort of…excited. Which scared me.

            He slowly lifted both his hands and took my face in them. My eyes closed partly. It felt like his hold on me was firm but careful, as if he were afrad that he might break me. He leaned in, his breath warm and pleasant on my cold face. Believe me, I was chilled to the marrow by then.

            And, slowly but surely, he kissed me. It wasn’t like the last time, though, when it was really perverted. This time it was a side of him I had never even bothered to believe exsisted. A side that was actually nonspoiled and more serious. It was soft and sweet. His gentleness made my heart hurt so bad that tears welled up in my eyes. It was so good to feel really loved, even if it was by Draco Malfoy. You can’t possibly imagine how much I’ve been through in my fifteen years of exsistence (turning sixteen in January).

            We delved deeper into the kiss; it was something that you couldn’t possibly describe. Except for one word: full. I felt full and happy and on top of the world. I kissed back strongly, wrapping my arms around his neck and leaning into him (not sexually, mind you. God no). And don’t be taking this the wrong way, but his hands and arms slid down from my face, down my back, and lingered over my waist. Nothing perverted. I’m just trying to set the record straight if you’re even thinking that.

            Again, his touch left a tingling trail down my back. My hood had lifted off and my cloak was blowing everywhere, but I didn’t even notice. I hunched my shoulders at the sensation. To be truthful, it was kind of pleasant…not in a perverted way! I smiled softly into the kiss, and he smiled genuinely back. By this time, tears were flowing straight from my eyes.

            We pulled away so we could actually breathe. I looked down, embarrassed.

            He lifted my chin with a knuckle so I would look at him.

            “What’s wrong?”

            “Just…nothing. I’m just…just happy. That’s all.”

            He wiped my everflowing tears away and emrabced me tightly. I’m pretty sure he could hear my heart beating hard. I needed so much for someone just to hug me like this…I so needed this. I’ve had it hard. I needed just for someone to hold me.

            Into the crook of his shoulder I mumbled, “You know well that we can’t be together. You know that Iove someone else.”

            “Of course. You love Saint Potter,” he said, but with a slight grimace. I know he didn’t scoff for my sake.

            “Yes. And I’m pretty sure he loves me back.”

            “Typical. He always gets the good ones. Though I don’t care much for  that Weasel-by girl who likes him.”

            “No matter how serious you are, you’ll always be spoiled. That’s a fact. Aren’t you Slytherins ever serious?”

            I drew away from him, gazing up at him from underneath my long dark lashes.

            “I’ll pretend I didn’t just hear that.”

            “Right, you do that.”

            “How can you be making jokes?” he asked me.

            “Just another one of my many flaws, I guess.”

            He snorted, but kissed me deeply again.

            “You know we can’t,” I warned him again.

            “All the more better,” he returned.

            I raised an eyebrow questioningly at him. I shook my head. He smirked at this.

            “Ravenclaws. Your lot has always been too smart for your own good.” He smiled. “And maybe too witty.”

            “I have to go now.” He was about to protest when I silenced him by placing a finger on his lips. “I’ve got stuff to do.”

            And I breezed right past him. I left him with his arms crossed.

            He wanted me, and I knew it. Just not today. Never today, and maybe not even in the future. We would never be, and that was yet another thing I knew and knew well. Besides, I couldn’t risk hurting Harry now that I was more positive than ever that he loved me.

            I was sure about that fact.



© 2013 E.V. Black


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on June 25, 2013
Last Updated on June 25, 2013


Author

E.V. Black
E.V. Black

About
My name is E.V. Black and I am honored that you have decided to peruse my profile. I started my writing career at a young age and have been writing for a very long time. I write in practically every f.. more..

Writing
Illusion Illusion

A Poem by E.V. Black


Why? Why?

A Poem by E.V. Black