Dear Daddy

Dear Daddy

A Story by Exhalt
"

A letter to Daddy.

"

Dearest Daddy,

            It’s me, your little girl.  You may of left mom and me, and went to the eternal place in the sky, but I still love you.  I wish you are happy where you are, and you are at peace.  I miss you greatly, and there is not a day I don’t think about you. 

            High school was easy, I passed with flying colors.  I took the hardest classes offered and I still had a 3.8 GPA. I found I like psychology, so that is what my major in college is going to be.   I played in the band all four years and was in choir for only one; the conductor and I never got along.  I played volleyball and our team made it to state my senior year, but we lost.  I graduated third in my class; I received a plaque with my name and top ten on it.  I was so happy my graduation day cause I felt like you were there, out in the crowd cheering for me.  I knew in my mind you were proud of me, and in turn that made me feel good about myself.

            I started Brescia University this year, and I have grown so much.  I am no longer afraid to be who I am.  The first semester I was here, I learned what it means to be fully independent.  I think back on how you were, always carefree and living life to the fullest.  I model after you; well, that is what mom says.   I am starting to take the classes for my major this second semester, and I love them.  I am struggling in Spanish, but I like to think about what you said, “You can do anything you want, as long as you put your mind to it.”  Well daddy, I am putting my mind to it, and I am going to succeed so I can feel you being proud of me again.  I am working hard, studying hard, and making sure I have a little fun the process.  I am still in band, playing the flute you bought me.  I kept it in great condition, it sounds and looks like a professional.  

            I am working now.  Last year I started working at the local pizza place Bearno’s Pizza, but I had to quit once I came to college.  I now work at the front desk at college.  It is not a hard job, and I can finish my homework there.  I answer phones, check out sport equipment, and keep track of lost and found items.  I like working there, it has helped my people skills; I am no longer afraid to talk to people and I can call people on the phone without having an anxiety attack.

            Do you remember Charlie?  Well we are not dating anymore, but we still talk as friends.  We have two new dogs at home, daddy, Maverick is an Australian shepherd and Jake is a Bichon Frise.  Are there pets in heaven? Do you get to see Shadow?  I miss him; he was the best dog we ever had.  Maverick is like Shadow; he acts the same and is just like him, he maybe Shadow’s reincarnation. 

            What is heaven like?  Is it as peaceful as we were taught to believe?  I hope it is.  You deserve to be in a place that is everything peaceful and pleasing.

            I miss you daddy, I have ever since you left us, that horrifying day.  How were you to know that the bridge was going to break and fall into the water?  How were you to know that you would be on it that moment?  How were you to know that the seat belt was going to get stuck?  How were you to know that the back seat window was cracked?  How were you to know that the car would fill with water so fast?  How were you to know that this was going to be the last moment to call your family?  When you called us from your car many feet in the water, I thought you were joking.  It was not until you said. “I love my baby girl, be good to yourself and your mother.  I love you, baby.  Pray every day and don’t let anyone bring you down, you are a strong girl.  I love you, bye.”  When the phone went dead, so did my heart.  I ran into the living room and turned in the news, to my horror I saw the bridge falling over and over.  So many people died that day.  I still ask why one of them had to be you. 

            I miss you daddy, I always will.  I hope you are happy and at peace.  Your little girl has grown into a woman, but she will always to a little girl to you.  I love you daddy, I cannot wait for the day that we are able to be together again.

Love your baby girl

© 2011 Exhalt


Author's Note

Exhalt
This is a fictional letter to my father.
I wrote this for a Writing class in college.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on October 5, 2011
Last Updated on October 5, 2011

Author

Exhalt
Exhalt

Owensboro, KY



About
Hello, I am a 20 year old art major, at Brescia University. I love to write songs and poetry. more..

Writing
Rant? Rant?

A Poem by Exhalt