Seal Song

Seal Song

A Poem by Einstein Noodle

Selkie of the Sea - Original Art by Brian C Hailes
"Selkie of the Sea" Brian C. Hailes

SEAL SONG


squaring off in the kitchen
between the he and she

it was over 
                          
                               dishes piled high and precarious on plastic, garbled countertop
the dinner        -       menu 'd out
it was how he held the toothpaste and
something         -        about something        -        or
                                
                                      OTHER 

the other being in "can't speak"

her real, seal skin
her real selkie, soft; smooth grey and onyx marine
purring as the welcome warm currents  of         

she

she cuts water with fish whispers and whale moaning deeps

her coral is now and
he is no more and

she would breath under the salt and water

E.
03/10/2023

© 2023 Einstein Noodle


Author's Note

Einstein Noodle

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Based on my interpretation of the poem, I believe that it is exploring the ways in which small issues and misunderstandings can escalate into larger conflicts in relationships. The imagery of the piled-up dishes and the garbled countertop suggests a sense of chaos and disorder, while the focus on the way the man holds the toothpaste and the other unknown issue highlights how even the smallest things can become sources of conflict. The reference to the "other being in 'can't speak'" suggests that there may be underlying issues or emotions that are not being expressed or communicated effectively. The description of the woman's seal skin and the warm currents could be interpreted as a metaphor for her inner emotional state, which is in contrast to the conflict and chaos of the kitchen. Overall, I found the poem to be a powerful exploration of the complexities of human relationships and the ways in which small issues can escalate into larger conflicts. The vivid imagery and poetic language used by you created a deeply immersive experience that draws the reader in and leaves them feeling both moved and inspired.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

oh my goodness Mr. B!! what an insightful and thorough review you have given this .. so thoughtful a.. read more



Reviews

Oh I feel this one. A place where many have tread, have dared to. Women like Selkies can also be dangerous and vengeful. It seems in this thought provoking piece that the Selkie survives, but what of her land lubber lover? The imagry and careful work choice, added to the fragmented set out of the poem adds to the feelings of fragmentation and desperation.

Posted 6 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Months Ago

yep .. she survived .. him .. can't say for sure but it doesn't feel like anything good ;))))))))))).. read more
Interesting work.lines are good. Good work 👍

Posted 7 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

6 Months Ago

thank you Arundass! nice to meet you! glad you were able to find something enjoyable in it .. later .. read more
As you describe the scene it does remind me of a chaotic encounter….where there was nothing left to say….and the seal might have been a calming of the mind and spirit. After such a row…. A very good portrayal of human conflict…….
Warmly,
B.

Posted 8 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

8 Months Ago

thanks again, Ms. Betty .. for reading and reviewing .. it means a lot .. peace and joy
E.
What is seen on the surface is often not what is underneath. Lifes blurred vision of what reality is can have damaging affects and often due to frustration we miss the smaller things that makes sense of a bigger situation. If we could only breath more to help us see than talking would become easier.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

yes ... three deep cleansing breaths can change the scene dramatically ... or a quick sincere prayer.. read more
It seems it was more than mere dishes
piled high and toothpaste .or something .
something ,or another, .little things
disguising the real issues hidden beneath
the surface .piled higher and deeper
we may want to really voice but can't seem
to speak the words ..women tend to clam up
in seal soft emotion sealing our thoughts and
words inward..where some men might never understand ..
This poem is a lovely rendering of many emotions
between the He and She of life...nice work Mr E.
"she would breath under the salt and water.. beautiful









Posted 9 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

i'm so touched by your review, Fran ... many thanks

it seems to me that summats up .. something over nothing maybe .. irksome fore shore but then some and correspondingly seethingly brewed & blowed out of proportion with some salt rubbed in for good measure ..
N.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

:))))))))))))) yep! that's about it Nev! .. such trivial little things that become festering sores ... read more
Neville

9 Months Ago


this very eve it is then brother G :))) cheers N.
dearest Gene… I have seen the Seals playing on the Rocky West Coast of California many years ago. They are Playful and Musical… Hope you are enjoying the Summer in the Ozark's. gently, Pat p.s. I adore the Seals as they enjoy the Splashing in Water… diving for Fish …

Posted 9 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

yes! they are a wonderment .. i happened to be driving down the Coast Highway one year and the seals.. read more
Patricia Wedel

9 Months Ago

My pleasure.. 🧬 Gene… The sunsets are more golden and the rain is more healing….
So.. read more
Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

yes .. it is true .. soon enough when we are called eh!?
Men are from Mars; women are from Venus. Sometimes, we have a difficult time communicating; and this can make mountains out of molehills. Men are told that they can't express themselves. Women tend to go inward when they are upset. In the end, it makes for a combustible conflagration. If we would but stop, think, and speak with compassion and understanding so many of these circumstances could be mitigated.

I really like how you take a complex issue and write of it in such a soft and tender way.

Well done.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

glad you enjoyed Linda .. i agree .. it just takes a little patience with each other with understand.. read more
Based on my interpretation of the poem, I believe that it is exploring the ways in which small issues and misunderstandings can escalate into larger conflicts in relationships. The imagery of the piled-up dishes and the garbled countertop suggests a sense of chaos and disorder, while the focus on the way the man holds the toothpaste and the other unknown issue highlights how even the smallest things can become sources of conflict. The reference to the "other being in 'can't speak'" suggests that there may be underlying issues or emotions that are not being expressed or communicated effectively. The description of the woman's seal skin and the warm currents could be interpreted as a metaphor for her inner emotional state, which is in contrast to the conflict and chaos of the kitchen. Overall, I found the poem to be a powerful exploration of the complexities of human relationships and the ways in which small issues can escalate into larger conflicts. The vivid imagery and poetic language used by you created a deeply immersive experience that draws the reader in and leaves them feeling both moved and inspired.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

oh my goodness Mr. B!! what an insightful and thorough review you have given this .. so thoughtful a.. read more
"I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.." But this seems more like a confused confrontation over feelings neither want to speak so they blame anything or everything else. You have written a very creative and unique take on the subject matter. I enjoyed the read.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Einstein Noodle

10 Months Ago

thanks again my friend! yes, it takes two to tangle doesn't it!? i think i will and " finally free o.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

663 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2023
Last Updated on July 21, 2023

Author

Einstein Noodle
Einstein Noodle

Pork Rind, AK



About
This morning as I began to log in to WC, it occurred to me what an inspiring and comfortable place this has become for me. There are so many talented people sharing, encouraging, teaching and learni.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..