Nightmares

Nightmares

A Chapter by Gem

She ran as fast as she could through the forest of Dragons, desperate to make it there on time. She had to get to him before it was too late after years of searching she had finally found it and could put an end to this madness continuing her journey she wished she had been able to grab a horse but any attempt to would have led to her being captured something she couldn't let happen she just hoped the guards hadn't realized she was missing, if her maids had done exactly as she had planned then no one would know she had gone until she reached the battle grounds and then it would be too late to stop her.

Dressed as a kitchen boy she had pinned up her long black curls and put on a hat and with the help of her trusted servants she had been able to slip out of the castle unnoticed through her secret garden gate where they had first met, her maids if asked of her whereabouts were to pretend she was sick in bed due to lady problems, her uncle's guards would never ask any further questions.

She focused her thoughts on calling to him through their bond. I need you, she thought, more than ever before I am in the forest it is extremely important come to me. Though she could not feel him because he had locked her from his thoughts, she knew he was there and had heard her plea. Her fingers wound around the simple braided band that embodied their love and the promise they had made in secret, if they were ever to be together this was her chance to give their world the peace her parents had fought and died for.

The hair on the back of her neck stood up the feeling that someone was watching her came over her and she slowed to a walk looking around but saw no one, she began to run again faster now, fearing the worst lied just beyond the trees.

Her heart pounded in her ears it was as if the trees were watching her laughing at her stupidity, she knew being out here was stupid but she had no other choice if she was to save hundreds of lives so she ignored the trees and started running again. Something slammed into her from behind knocking her to the ground she tried to get up but someone put their foot on her back forcing her back down terror filled her heart as she realized who was standing over her.

"You will pay for what you have done," he hissed before cutting her down the back she screamed and he laughed taking his foot away, she got up and staggered away, trying to ignore the pain that burned across her back. She knew she would not get far but had to try, he laughed harder as he watched her futile attempt to get away with quick movements and little effort he moved in front of her.

"Why are you doing this?" She asked. He smiled but it did not reach his cold black eyes, he leaked anger as he pulled out a dagger and stabbed her in the chest.

Kassy Blacke sat up in bed a scream caught in her throat she'd had that same recurring nightmare for weeks now ever since her family had moved to Echo Lake she fought back tears the nightmare still fresh. Getting out of bed, she crossed the hall to the bathroom and splashed cold water on her face trying to wash away the fear from the dream.

"Kassy?" Lyla, her adoptive mother stood in the doorway, "Another nightmare?" Kassy nodded afraid to speak to show how badly she feared the truth in her dreams. Lyla took her hand and led her into the kitchen, a few boxes still lingered unpacked, but Lyla easily maneuvered around them to the table sitting Kassy down she set out to make tea as she had taken to doing after all of Kassy's nightmares.

"Do you want to tell me about them?" she asked settling the kettle on the stove she sat down across from Kassy, waiting patiently for her to finally divulge the horror that awoke her every night. Kassy knew she should tell her, open up, that maybe if she spoke of it she would understand more of why she kept having the dreams but something deep inside kept her from being able to speak the words an unspeakable thing that she couldn't place no matter how hard she tried.

Lyla tried again, "Please, let me try and help you. You're not alone anymore Kassy, you have a family who loves you." her eyes were bright with tears and worry, she reached out and placed a hand over Kassy's trembling one.

Kassy choked back tears, "I can't," the words came out in a harsh whisper as the kettle screamed the first rays of sunlight flittered through the window, welcoming what Kassy hoped was a new day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a long hot shower Kassy returned to the kitchen dressed and ready for her first day at Echo Lake high school, she had managed to push her fears away, to seem like an almost normal teenage girl despite the lack of sleep that was visible by the dark circles under her eyes but it was nothing a little concealer couldn't help. She could hear Lyla in the kitchen making breakfast for the smell Kassy knew it was pancakes, Lylas idea of morning comfort food. Jonathan her adoptive father sat at the table flipping through work papers, he looked up as she entered the kitchen a smile playing on his lips.

"Well there's my other beautiful girl," he said getting up to give her a big hug, she hugged him back feeling safe in his arms even if it only lasted a moment. Lyla smiled wistfully, "She's not quite a girl anymore." Kassy took her seat at the table while Lyla passed around the pancakes giving Kassy a glass of milk and refilling Jonathan's coffee mug before sitting down herself.

"Excited for your first day at school?" Jonathan asked, Kassy shrugged not really sure of her feelings. "Nervous?" He asked glancing down at her plate, she'd mostly just cut up the pancakes into little pieces only eating a few bites.

She smiled weakly, pushing the plate away, "Maybe I am." Lyla gave her a worried look that she pretended not to see as she cleared away the plates.

"You two better get a move on if you don't want to be late." Lyla said watching the clock. Jonathan gasped and hurried to get his papers in order, he gave Lyla a quick kiss then turned to Kassy.

"I think this might help with the nerves," he handed her a jewelry box, inside lay a dandelion wish necklace with a small orb attached. "For luck," he lifted the necklace out of the box and fastened it around her neck. Kassy held back her oncoming tears and hugged him again. He kissed the top of her head before letting her go.

"Thank you, I love it." Lyla and Jonathan smiled at her the moment was sweet until Jonathan realized he had to get going, grabbing his work stuff he headed for the door.

"Oh and these might help also," he said tossing her a pair of car keys, Kassy stared down at them then looked from Jonathan to Lyla not sure what to think or say. Jonathan just smiled and walked outside Kassy following close behind, outside parked next to his sedan was a new model VW bug the same one Kassy had wanted but hadn't asked for.

"We thought with moving to a new place and having to go to a new school that this might help," Lyla said from behind her. Kassy hugged them both hard afraid she'd cry if she tried to speak then ran back inside for her bag. She got into her new car and honked at her parents as she pulled away from the house, excitement filled her pushing away the last remnants of her nightmare.



© 2016 Gem


Author's Note

Gem
This was my NaNoWriMo story so it is unedited

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi, I new on here. yours is the first I stuck with as far as reading, decent scene setup with dream. kept me interested, but it was the mundane things coming at me after. some things could be condensed. I think keep a little of day to day mundane, and go right to the next plot waypoint to keep tension. I see
promise!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gem

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and taking the time to leave a review it means a lot =]



Reviews

Hey!
So overall, i love your first chapter.
I think that some more details would help this come alive.
This is me being bit of a grammar nazi, but there are some periods missing. It just makes reading a lot easier on the reader.
Great start!!
BTW I love the name Lyla :)
Moth!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gem

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading as well as the constructive criticism! =]
Moth Phoenix

8 Years Ago

you are very welcome :))
Hi, I new on here. yours is the first I stuck with as far as reading, decent scene setup with dream. kept me interested, but it was the mundane things coming at me after. some things could be condensed. I think keep a little of day to day mundane, and go right to the next plot waypoint to keep tension. I see
promise!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gem

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and taking the time to leave a review it means a lot =]

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2016
Last Updated on January 4, 2016
Tags: Romance, castle, creatures, dragons, fantasy, fate, forever, highschool, humans, love, magic, nightmares, revenge, sad, timetravel, + New Part


Author

Gem
Gem

Somewhere Wicked, CA



About
Writing is my escape from reality and the best way I know how to express the crazy that makes up my mind so walk through the doors and escape with me. I'll be waiting. I've been writing forever mos.. more..

Writing
Autumn's Light Autumn's Light

A Story by Gem