Clouded

Clouded

A Chapter by Gem

He stared at her from across the hall, it was her. The girl from his dreams or more like his nightmares, she died every night in his arms. He stepped back into an empty classroom his mind whirling with the memory.

He held her in his arms, her blood soaking through his shirt from the deep gash on her back. There was a dagger sticking out of her chest just shy of her heart with a golden dragon crest on the end. Tears pooled in her deep brown eyes her throat worked as she tried to talk but he shook his head for her to stop he knew who had done this to her. If only he hadn't been stuck in battle trying to stop a fruitless war, he would have been able to save her from this.

He didn't know how he'd be able to survive without her, they'd talked just last night of how their union would show people how they all could live as one without the hatred, he felt the weight of the simple gold braided band on his finger thought of the ceremony they'd taken in secrecy, how happy he'd been when they had taken the vows to become one. That union was going to be the beginning of a new era for their people a new life without fear for their children, and with one strike of a dagger that dream had shattered.

Tears of his own ran down his face, he could see the life fading from her eyes and there was nothing he could do to stop it. They were too deep in the forest for him to get her to help even if he flew, so he held her close his heart breaking, leaves floated down around them as if the trees also cried for her, for the loss her death would bring to their world. He leaned down and kissed her one last time.

"I love you, I will always love you," he whispered. She smiled up at him and closed her eyes for the last time. He buried his face in her silky black curls and sobbed for what seemed like hours before finally lifting his head and roaring his pain to the world around them with this roar he told everyone of her death and told her killer he would be coming for him. Something fell out of her hand he picked up and smiled bitterly at the object she had died trying to get this to him, died so they could be together he wanted to laugh at the irony of it.

Everett Drake's body trembled as it always did after one of these visions, he watched her walk down the hall and wondered how he had been dreaming of her for weeks if he had just seen her for the first time today. He could still feel the weight of her body in his arms, he tried taking deep breaths to calm himself.

"Ev, did you hear anything I just said?" Everett turned to see his best friend Charlie Walsh, he hadn't even realized Charlie had walked up.

"No, sorry I was a little spaced out,"

"Yeah I figured when you didn't answer the first three times I called your name"

"Oh so it's Everett's name you call out for now?" Tristan Danes joked joining them, Tristan and Charlie had been friends with Everett practically since birth. Everett smiled and shook his head.

"Hey have either of you ever seen that girl before?" He asked them. They looked at each other then back at him.

"What girl?" They said in unison.

She was gone.

"Never mind." What's happening to me? Charlie clapped him on the shoulder and led the way to class.

"Ev you okay?" He nodded and figured it was just his dreams coming to haunt him even as he thought that he scanned the hallway quickly just in case. As the approached study hall he decided to let go of the nightmare and move on, their teacher Mrs. Jamison glared at them as they entered, it was well past the tardy bell.

"Boys, you must enjoy seeing me to be this late for class, earning yourself a mandatory after school detention." They mumbled their acknowledgement as they took their seats. Mrs. Jamison opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted when the principal's T.A. and Charlie's on again off again girlfriend, Chloe Perkins entered.

"Hey Mrs. J I've got a new student for you," she said opening the door for Everett's worst nightmare in the form of a beautiful girl. She was just as he had seen her in his dreams only alive and well, with thick curly black hair framed around her face smooth perfect skin the color of milk chocolate and clear deep brown eyes surrounded by long lashes, she smiled shyly at the class making his heart flutter uncontrollably.

Mrs. Jamison took the papers Chloe held out.

"Thank you Chloe," Chloe made a dramatic bow winking at Charlie before flouncing out of the class. Mrs. Jamison just rolled her eyes but there was a hint of a smile on her lips.

Come back to me. A voice whispered in his head, Everett gripped his desk sweat trickling down his face. What's happening to me?

Tristan was looking at him funny mouthing 'Are you okay?' Everett managed to nod and loosen his death grip on the desk, forcing himself to relax he focused on what Mrs. Jamison was saying.

"Class, please welcome our newest student, Kasia Blacke," everyone mumbled a welcome but Everett sat frozen unable to take his eyes off the newcomer.

"Kasia, is there anything you'd like to say?"

The new girl looked nervous but confident all at once. "Just Kassy is fine and I look forward to getting to know all of you," she twirled a small lock of her hair a simple nervous habit but one Everett had seen so many times before somehow, somewhere but the memory was too cloudy and he too uncertain. Her voice was just as silky as it had been in his thoughts just moments ago, Mrs. Jamison motioned for her to sit in the empty seat next to a window.

"Okay people remember this is study hall so please actually study something, I will be walking around to check just in case some of you need a little encouragement," with that she took her seat behind the desk.

Everett tried not to look behind him at Kassy but finally couldn't resist turning slightly he glanced over at her, she had pulled out a book the one everyone had been assigned this semester, with all that had happened in just those few moments he hadn't even realized it had started to rain, she shifted in her seat sending her pencil flying near his seat with shaky movements he picked it up and held it out to her, she shared a smile thankful smile with him her brown eyes meeting his grey ones he looked for any signs that she recognized him, that maybe she too had seen him in her dreams but nothing came.

She reached for the pencil her fingers brushing his sending an electric shock through his arm, she jerked back and stared down at her hand then back at him confusion clear on her pretty face Everett quickly turned away from her refusing to meet her gaze for the rest of class.

When the bell rang he practically ran for the door and didn't stop until he was outside the cold rain sprinkling his heated face, his heart hammered as he stared up at the dark clouds hoping the rain would wash away whatever was haunting his mind.

******************************************************************************************

Ingrid the witch sat back in her old wicker chair and watched her magic unfold after years of waiting everything was finally coming about, the two star-crossed lovers were closer than ever to discovering each other and the truth that wove around their hearts. She had watched these two for years now ever since she had brought them back to life, she wanted them to have a second chance at being together and saving their world. They could only get there if they had what it took to change their fates she had not planned on it but He had also been brought back and was set on vengeance. If these two wanted to right the wrongs of the past, they were going to have to fight for it.



© 2016 Gem


Author's Note

Gem
Unedited so please forgive any errors

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on January 4, 2016
Last Updated on January 4, 2016
Tags: Romance, castle, creatures, dragons, fantasy, fate, forever, highschool, humans, love, magic, nightmares, revenge, sad, timetravel


Author

Gem
Gem

Somewhere Wicked, CA



About
Writing is my escape from reality and the best way I know how to express the crazy that makes up my mind so walk through the doors and escape with me. I'll be waiting. I've been writing forever mos.. more..

Writing
Autumn's Light Autumn's Light

A Story by Gem